Inga the Viking Girl by Jacqueline Grant…

Inga the Viking Girl

by Jacqueline Grant Kent

651,268,033 (3.4)None

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
An interesting set of stories about Inga and her life in a Viking village. They left me wanting to know more although I am not sure how historically accurate her portrayal really is. ( )
  mavinger | Jan 31, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I got this book as I thought it would be good to read to my kids (aged 8 and 5) - and it was. The book consists of two short stories about Inga, a young girl growing up in a Norse community. She is a real tomboy and both stories revolve around her desire to break out of the stereotype of growing up to become a wife and mother. Inga wants to have adventure in her life.

The stories manage to evoke a level of realism about life in Norse society, without needing to resort to gory battle scenes, so they are suitable for younger readers or listeners. The first story in particular was interesting as it presents a different perspective on why these communities would go a viking. Rather than portray these people as bloodthirsty warriors hell bent on pillage and plunder, they are portrayed as unwilling participants who only agree to take to their long boat to save the community from starvation.

For the real pedants there are probably a few too many spelling errors, but overall this was an enjoyable book and both the kids and I were left wanting more stories about Inga and her community. ( )
  jhoddinott | Nov 30, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Inga the Viking Girl is a set of two cute short stories about a young viking girl who want to share in the adventures of her male tribesmen instead of becoming the lady her mother would like her to be. The stories are short, easy to read, and exciting adventures.

I wish the second part Inga plans a wedding hadn't cut off so abruptly though. I was eager to read more and I thought the ending could have taken it a bit further. I would definately love to read more though if it gets written. ( )
  Jess_Johnson | Nov 17, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this book on LibraryThing as part of their early reviewers program. It was a charming children's novel about Inga, a young Viking girl with a mind of her own. There are two stories. In the first Inga wants to go "a-Viking" with the men of her village to bring back food and supplies for her family. In the second, she tries to save her older sister from marrying a hateful man.

Inga is smart, impulsive, and sassy. Girls will enjoy her character and the unique setting of a Viking village. However, I have a few small criticisms regarding the presentation of the book, the age group it is marketed towards, and the setting descriptions. This book was not carefully edited. There were several major grammatical errors which could be distracting to a young reader. In addition, this book is marketed as being for 8-12 year olds but I think it's definitely for younger readers. A 12 year old would not enjoy this story as it is very simple. I would recommend it for 7-9 year olds. It's a good "first novel" type of book. Lastly, I think the author should have focused more on the setting. She gives a few details but the setting is one of the most interesting aspects of the book.

Overall I would say this book is worth reading to/with your younger children! ( )
  elizabeth.a.coates | Oct 16, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this book through the Library Thing- Early Reviewers programme.

A lovely story about a Viking girl in Greenland. It reminded me at time of the 'Little House' stories. Especially the way Inga idolises her father, and hang on his every word when he shows her how to do things.

http://bookblog76.com/2011/10/08/inga-the-vikin…ine-grant-kent/ ( )
  jll1976 | Oct 7, 2011 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Jacqueline Grant Kent's book Inga the Viking Girl was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,648,436 books! | Top bar: Always visible