North and South [Norton Critical Editions]…

North and South [Norton Critical Editions]

by Elizabeth Gaskell

202458,111 (4.38)4

About as close as I've ever gotten to the joy of reading Pride and Prejudice for the first time. It's less witty than it is earnest, but it's still a book to savor. There's drama and social issues and philosophy and a slow-to-develop but sigh-inducing love story. It was just magnificent, and that final scene... I love it wholeheartedly. A keeper. ( )
  librarymeg | Apr 17, 2015 |
Four stars for a work of fiction that is set in a world which can still resonate with the events in the world today, characters who have meaningful conversations/arguements and the lovers have a happy ending.
I might have given it five stars if the ending hadn't been so abrupt and there had been a better description of Mr. Thorton. (At least there's Richard Armitage to fanasize about!)
  VeritysVeranda | Sep 29, 2013 |
I read this book mainly because I found and LOVED the mini series based on it on Netflix. I have to say that this is one of those rare exceptions where I like the movie more than the book. While the book was excellent and well written, I just adored the BBC adaption. The characters are incredibly acted. ( )
  Annesanse | Jun 4, 2013 |
I loved this book as much as Pride and Prejudice. Mrs. Gaskell is a wonderful story teller and the book has a lot of rich detail. The only reason I did not give it 5 stars was for the ending. It ends rather abruptly but I guess that could be attributed to it first being published as a serial in Charles Dickens' magazine. I will read more from Mrs. Gaskell as I enjoyed this one so much. ( )
1 vote regdeleon | Aug 5, 2008 |

A revolutionary social and political commentary, North and South solidified Gaskell’s place in the company of Victorian England’s finest novelists.

This Norton Critical Edition of her best-selling novel is annotated and edited by preeminent Gaskell scholar Alan Shelston. "Contexts" includes contemporary reviews and correspondence related to North and South, along with the full text of Gaskell’s 1850 short story "Lizzie Leigh," which, like North and South, is set in industrial Manchester and deals with strong working women. This topic is further addressed in Bessie Rayner Parkes’s essay on Victorian working women. "Criticism" collects eleven assessments of the novel, among them Louis Cazamian’s 1904 study of industrial fiction and Hilary Schor’s recent study of North and South in the context of discourse analysis. A Chronology and Selected Bibliography are also included.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:43 -0400)

A revolutionary political and social commentary.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,732,009 books! | Top bar: Always visible