If It Ain't Love by Tamara Allen

If It Ain't Love

by Tamara Allen

English (6)  Italian (1)  All (7)
I also just finished [bc:If It Ain't Love|12430702|If It Ain't Love|Tamara Allen|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1343626072s/12430702.jpg|17413129] by [a:Tamara Allen|2765359|Tamara Allen|http://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1298938417p2/2765359.jpg] and to be honest this is not a book I will be sad to delete from my Kindle. I admit I usually like some m/m books but, this was too short for my taste. Had to much depression..I know I know don't shoot me I know it was about the Great Depression but, It was too much like a story I have read before in the past and way tooo short. I will give it 2 stars for the story but, to me it needed more. I will definitely check out the author though because I did like her writing style. ( )
  Angel.Carter | Aug 11, 2016 |
could have been just depressing but was a moving and thoughtful MM story that showed what little it took to bring some hope to people. ( )
  crankypants16 | Sep 23, 2013 |
An ARe Cafe top pick for October, 2011.

If It Ain’t Love by Tamara Allen (18,000 words) unfolds within the third-person viewpoint of Whit, a journalist for the New York Times during the darkest days of the Great Depression. Now homeless, Whit can no longer bring himself to care about his career in the midst of such worldwide catastrophe. When he spends the night at a flophouse, he meets a well-dressed man who looks too refined to be there. Mutual attraction leads to sex, friendship, and possibly to something more.

There is so much to praise in this wonderful story by one of our finest historical fiction authors. First, we get a lot of plot in only 18,000 words rather than the usual slice-of-life or tiny epiphany that takes the place of real conflict and resolution within most short fiction. There is the main plot with Whit and his lover working through trust issues and figuring out how to survive together during such hard times. Meanwhile, a character with a full wardrobe of suits finds renewed purpose in outfitting homeless men for job interviews, thereby restoring their confidence. A smaller, but amusing, subplot centers the indefatigable attempts of Whit’s lover to track down his full name and find out what “Whit” is short for.

Second, the sex is very hot while remaining non-explicit. To me, it has always looked much more difficult to write emotionally engaging “sweet” non-explicit romance than to pile on the explicit descriptions and to use the street terms as most of us romance authors do. In this story, the art of writing non-explicit sex scenes reaches its highest potential. Through metaphor, poetic terms, and a deep focus on the emotional excitement of the lovers, the story takes the sex scenes to their full consummation in beautiful language that never shuts the reader outside of the bedroom door.

Third, the author has a light, sure touch when it comes to bringing her historical period alive with what feels like perfect accuracy. The Great Depression was a dark time, and the modern mindset would make most of us write about it through characters steeped in angst, self-awareness, and self-pity. But the men of the actual 1930s were not exactly the navel-gazing type. For example, Whit, who has already experienced the humiliation of begging his editor to loan him a dollar, sees a bread line and thinks, “he’d be a damned jerk to make anyone else wait behind him when he had enough in his pocket to buy himself a meal. Funny, how privileged he felt with only a dollar to his name.” His tough, plain-spoken, and practical outlook saves the story from becoming overwhelmed with its bleak setting. If It Ain’t Love offers the readers two appealing and stalwart characters finding the inner strength to triumph over considerable adversity. Very highly recommended!

Val for AReCafe ( )
  AReCafe | Apr 24, 2013 |
Sweet, short love story - free read. ( )
  Tam2603 | Apr 18, 2013 |
I have one big complaint. It was a 100 pager on my ereader. It should have been a full book. Everything was done perfectly but I would have liked to know more. ( )
  pjh1984 | Mar 31, 2013 |
added by gsc55 | editPadme's Library (Jan 28, 2015)

Tamara Allen is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,700,925 books! | Top bar: Always visible