Dark That Day, After All (Nights Gone By) by…

Dark That Day, After All (Nights Gone By)

by Jason McIntyre

203515,329 (4.5)None
dark (1) DRM (1) ebook (1) fiction (2) free (1) freebie (1) K (1) Kindle (4) M (1) Nights Gone By (1) on-calibre (1) paranormal (1) revenge (1) short stories (1) short story (3) suspense (1) thriller (2) to-read (4) upload5 (1)

This is a story taken from McIntrye's anthology [b:Black Light of Day|10224805|Black Light of Day|Jason McIntyre|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1328635383s/10224805.jpg|15124590]. I haven't read the anthology, but I'm pretty sure I'll be buying it after reading "Dark That Day, After All."

I enjoyed the set up of this story. Jarvis the main character tells of a defining moment in his life, a hard life. I gained sympathy for him early on. What I wasn't expecting was a nice and dark twist in the story. By the time I caught the cue for the twist, it was too late; the story turned on its heels, amazing me.

This is a tale of redemption, confession, revenge, and the strange events that a solar eclipse can bring with it. ( )
  Robert.Zimmermann | Oct 7, 2013 |
A lot of authors would have turned this into a redemption tale. This is definitely not one of those; the revenge theme and ending tips it over the edge from a tense little narrative into horror - mainly because you never actually see the full outcome. You just know it's coming, and the more you think about the more awful it becomes.

I sympathised with both parties here, which is quite an achievement. One man did something awful out of desperation (and never knew the full consequences of his actions for years, which is part of the horror)but has regrets.

His victim has no interest in forgiveness - and in his situation, who could blame him? Although waiting this long for revenge means that it's not just cold, it's been in the deep freeze, and the way the need for vengeance twisted what might have once been a good man into something fearful is yet another psychological twist to the tale.

Recommended for short story lovers and psychological thriller fans. ( )
  JHSked | Oct 15, 2011 |
This short story is surprisingly full of depth, both with plot and characters. Right from the first sentence, Jason McIntyre captured my attention. The dialogue perfectly fit the characters. I felt like I knew these men, sitting there on that bench having a casual chat. The twist at the end caught me completely by surprise, giving a little taste of McIntyre's signature darkness. Loved it! ( )
  Darcia | Oct 3, 2011 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,746,523 books! | Top bar: Always visible