Doomboy by Tony Sandoval

Doomboy

by Tony Sandoval

I had a hard time starting this graphic novel, but once I got into it I was pleasantly surprised. The illustrations are well done and I really liked the landscapes and expressions. I felt the characters appeared younger then they were intended to be and that was hard to adjust to while reading. The story was really interesting. It is one of love and loss, loss and acceptance. The motivating element of music was expressed well in the illustrations when ID was playing his guitar. Recommended for older teens and new adults. ( )
  clockwork_serenity | Jan 23, 2016 |
  clockwork_serenity | Jan 23, 2016 |
This collection deals with Id, a teenage guitar player whose girlfriend dies. He inherits her dog, Elsy, and mourns in his own way by playing guitar on the radio under the alias, Doomboy. Rivalries and love also have an important impact on the story as well as mystical abilities.

Other friends and characters emerge, most long-haired and not easily recognisable.

The artwork is basic and not my cup of tea on the whole although the fantasy scenes are beautifully illustrated.

Recommended.
  PaulAllard | Dec 9, 2015 |
This was a pretty intense graphic novel. It is full of emotion and the nee to say goodbye. ID is a musician who has lost his girlfriend and now he has a hole in his heart. In order to fill it he feels like he must say goodbye to her to get her to forgive him for being a crappy boyfriend. As he plays for her others start to hear him and he becomes known as Doomboy, a rocker of sorts, whom everyone would love to meet and know.

There were a lot of elements to this book, there was the loss, the music, the metal bands and friends and the violence that somehow comes along with them; there were also a lot of bullies and it added a weird storyline to go with IDs loss.

I really enjoyed the art in this book. It was more like sketches and the details were sometimes magical as ID played his heart out for his lost girlfriend. I really enjoyed this graphic novel, I liked the metal parts, I loved the emotion, and I really really loved the artistic style used to illustrate it all. ( )
  sszkutak | Nov 11, 2014 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,355,484 books! | Top bar: Always visible