The Hungry by Steven W. Booth

The Hungry

by Steven W. Booth

THE HUNGRY so needs to be an action flick. Truly. This is the stuff great B-movies are made of!

In some respects THE HUNGRY is a typical zomb book. The undead pop up because of a bad military researcher, and out of no where the previously fairly amazing kick ass chick, becomes super amazing.

But in this book it's nice that the change occurs gradually, and it's fun that the secondary characters are so well fleshed out. In fact, that may be the greatest strength of this book; that not only Sheriff Penny, but the rest of her acquaintances --good and bad-- are so well done.

The other thing that sets this book apart is that it's got an over-the-top humor. It's like the authors had just come down off a Gomer Pyle tv watching binge. And these 'Southernisms' on steroids made for an interesting reading when combined with the snappy one-liners and f-bombs.

Did I mention the 'language'? Well, I don't believe they left any of the main ones out. So if cursing isn't your thing, pass this one by.

Otherwise, a fun b-grade, action filled read.

An angry woman in a filthy wedding dress ordering
everyone around. What had the world come to now?

BAD SPOILER.... BAD SPOILER.... BAD SPOILER....

This is a REAL SPOILER PERTAINING TO WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE AT THE END.

What I didn't like was the twist at the end where our heroine becomes a super hero. Fine for comics. Not so great as far as keeping my attention because the whole Uber-killer stick kills the sense of threat. I mean it killed it to the extent that I just stopped reading for awhile.

Two Stars if your uber-critical. Three and 1/2 Stars if you iz regular folk.

END BAD SPOILER.... ( )
  PamFamilyLibrary | Sep 17, 2013 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,078,696 books! | Top bar: Always visible