The Ghosts of Havana by Mike Dennis

The Ghosts of Havana

by Mike Dennis

263415,071 (4)None

The good thing about the book was the length. It was easy to read and definitely has a plot that was "different". I have not read a lot of books about Florida especially about Key West. However, the plot was not executed well. Even if it was a short book, it was still a bit dragging. The lead character, Robbie, was also not very "likable". He is loyal, I give him that but other than that he has not good traits, and definitely no EVIL ones. He is just an ordinary guy that does not fit to be in the lead. His intentions and motivations are also not that clear. Same thing goes with Elena. She is just "eye candy".

I did like the incorporation of history in the book. It makes the story less shallow than it already is.

By the way, I got this from LibraryThing's early reader program. Sorry for reviewing it 5 years late. ( )
  krizia_lazaro | Jun 7, 2017 |
A good noir tale. I always have difficulty reconciling the two sides of a noir hero. The gritty not so law abiding side with the one good man side. Mike Dennis does a fair job of it in this book. ( )
  Perrywilson | May 24, 2014 |
I got an advance copy of this book as soon as I heard it was available. I had read Mike Dennis' first Key West noir, Setup On Front Street, and I was anxious to read the second in the series. The Ghosts Of Havana features a different central character and a different story than "Setup", but several of the secondary characters are in both as well as some locales.

It's a very tense, dark story centering around the brutal murder of a young woman. Her sister and her employer try to get those responsible, but as they get pulled into it deeper and deeper, they find themselves in greater danger. There's a knockout of a twist that I didn't see coming, but when it hit me, it pulled it all together.

This is a superb noir novel, a thrilling read, and I can't wait for the next book in the series. ( )
  MaureenF | Sep 30, 2011 |

What if two murders, spaced nearly fifty years apart, turn out to be linked to a safe deposit box, whose contents hold the key to decades-old secrets and threaten national security?

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Mike Dennis's book THE GHOSTS OF HAVANA was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Mike Dennis is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,749,427 books! | Top bar: Always visible