Team Human by Sarah Rees Brennan

Team Human

by Sarah Rees Brennan, Justine Larbalestier (Author)

Other authors: Anne Hoppe (Editor), Jodie Webster (Editor)

Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan (pearshaped)
    pearshaped: Good writing, funny & tragic, urban fantasy setting.
    I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You by Ally Carter (nessreader)
    nessreader: Both teen romances with sparky dialogue, strong girls with their own agenda and friendships as well as romance. Similar sense of humour in both.
    New Moon by Stephenie Meyer (TomWaitsTables)
    Twilight / New Moon / Eclipse / Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer (TomWaitsTables)
    Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer (TomWaitsTables)
    Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer (TomWaitsTables)
    Twilight by Stephenie Meyer (TomWaitsTables)

Nothing new - feel like I've read it before in several other vampire books. ( )
  keindi | Jan 23, 2016 |
Let’s talk about this book, all right? We all know that I worship at the feet of Sarah Rees Brennan (ok not really, but The Demon’s Lexicon series is one of my absolute favourites ever so… there is some minor authorly idol worship going it’s fine. It’s fine.) & Justine Larbalestier has written many wonderful books that I’ve loved as well, so, it’s like the dream team of writers. I mean, writing a book with someone else is hard (then again it’s how I started writing so I think fondly of it), writing a good vampire book is even harder, especially nowadays.
I actually wasn’t sure what to expect here. I was expecting a parody of sorts but this turned out to be so much better. The story is about Mel, a girl who isn’t too fond of vampires, but tolerates them because her town is basically vampire city in America (or something of the sort, in reality the vampires have their own section of the city and don’t interact too much with humans if they don’t have to). Much to Mel’s dismay, when a charming, handsome vampire shows up to school (a ridiculous notion, what vampire would want to go to school?) she’s greatly dismayed when her best friend, Cathy seems to be falling for him.
This book is just so charming and witty. I read the whole thing in one city and enjoyed every moment of it. Because at face value it is a bit of a parody, but it becomes a whole lot more than that when it looks into the dynamic of a friend who thinks she’s doing something for the good of her friend, when in reality she should just stand back and let her friend make her own decisions in life.
Things become more complicated for Mel when her other friend, Anna, asks for her help with her own situation (her dad running off with one of his vampire patients and her mom not handling it), and when Kit, the human boy who grew up among vampires, comes along.
I loved the set up to this book. It was fresh, the setting of vampires being a normal part of life. People had to get license if they wanted to change and those were given out sparingly. There were consequences to the change if it were to fail (and there were good chances that it was going to fail). There were actual consequences to being a vampire (no laughter, no sunlight, ect.) it wasn’t played up to being the greatest thing ever. Then again, neither was being human.
That’s part of what I really loved. Even though the story was being approached from the point of view of human who wasn’t the biggest fan of vampires, we saw both sides - the pros and the cons - to the humans as well as the vampires. Showing that there are terrible things to everyone and people are people (even when they’re vampires).
The characters were all great, there were some that I wished were fleshed out a little more (Ty, the other vampires, ect.) But I realise that this was only a stand alone book so that’s ok in the end. I loved that Mel’s quirk was fencing and fixing things and how those things tied into the story.
This was just so deliciously charming and everything I was hoping for it to be.
I'd give it 4.5 stars, really, but Goodreads still doesn't allow halves =| ( )
  glitzandshadows | Oct 12, 2015 |
Well written, and a fun romp, but I just couldn't get into the story or care about the characters. ( )
  Bookaliciouspam | Sep 20, 2013 |
Read about 200 pages and decided it wasn't for me. Mel is a likable protag and Team Human is sharp, funny, and irreverent about the vampire craze, but I just couldn't get into it. Did not finish.
  seekayou | Aug 20, 2013 |
I can clearly remember when Team Human was released because it was a book that definitely piqued my interest, not only because it seemed to poke fun at the typical YA vampire tropes, but also because I'd heard really good things about both authors. Needless to say, I will definitely be checking out other books by both Sarah Rees Brennan and Justine Larbalestier, because I found this book to be refreshingly different. I adored the very tongue in cheek nature present in the story, but also appreciated that this wasn't just a humor book; there is a surprising amount of depth to the story and the characters, and I found all of it extremely entertaining and even poignant in places.

This book very much makes fun of some of the more common tropes seen in YA vampire books, particularly that of Twilight. I loved the fact that there are several folks who are concerned with the insta-love between Cathy and Francis, to the point where there are numerous comments about how they're rushing into things. Mel, of course, is the most vocal of these characters, and because she is our point of view character, the reader gets taken on quite the ride as she tries to convince Cathy to make different choices. Mel is brash, stubborn, and completely uncouth, and while I'm not sure I'd love a friend like this in reality, I had to love her devotion to her friends and the amount of love she has for Cathy in particular. I liked the fact that, throughout the book, Mel has to come face to face with her preconceived notions and admit that perhaps she doesn't really have the right to tell others what to do, even when she doesn't like their choices. Mel does a lot of maturing in this book, and I was very pleased to be able to go along with her on that ride.

Team Human also has a really solid mystery at its core when it comes to Anna's dad, and I loved how Mel refused to accept the adults' answers to her questions and did her own digging. (And I agree that Kit is superb at sidekicking!). The mystery added a lot of suspense to this book, and kept it from being all about the romance or Mel's dislike of Francis and the impact his appearance has on Cathy. However, one of the best things about this book is indeed of the romantic variety: I found Mel and Kit's blossoming relationship to be incredibly well-written, complete with miscommunication of the normal variety and a definite "like" not "love" factor. To put it succinctly, they were adorable, as two people who like each other should be. I definitely approved!

All in all, I found Team Human to be a great mix of mystery, romance and humor. Despite being laugh-out-loud funny in some places, the depth of emotion experienced by Mel and the others made this a fabulous combination of fun with a heavy dose of levity that made for an extremely enjoyable read. It's definitely a book that has a little bit of something for everyone! ( )
1 vote ahandfulofconfetti | Jul 16, 2013 |

Brennan, Sarah Reesprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Larbalestier, JustineAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Hoppe, AnneEditorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Webster, JodieEditorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Marx, GustavoPhotographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tippie, JoelCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Weise, CarlaTypographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Without Team Vampire, the writers whose vampires have inspired and delighted us, Team Human would never have been. This book is dedicated with thanks to John Ajvide Lindqvist, Heather Brewer, Rachel Caine, Suzy McKee Charnas, Caroline B. Cooney, Jewelle Gomez, Claudia Gray, Barbara Hambly, Charlaine Harris, Alyxandra Harvey, Tanya Huff, Alaya Dawn Johnson, Stephen King, Elizabeth Knox, Tanith Lee, J. Sheridan Le Fanu, Robin McKinley, Richelle, Mead, Stephenie Meyer, Anne Rice, James Malcolm Rymer, L. J. Smith, Bram Stoker, Scott Westerfeld... and all the many other talented advocates for the undead.
I wasn't feeling very enthused about education the day the vampire came to school.

Residing in New Whitby, Maine, a town founded by vampires trying to escape persecution, Mel finds her negative attitudes challenged when her best friend falls in love with one, another friend's father runs off with one, and she herself is attracted to someone who tries to pass himself off as one.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,221,500 books! | Top bar: Always visible