Unraveling by Elizabeth Norris

Info:Balzer Bray (2012), Hardcover, 464 pages
Collections:Read
Rating:*****

Unraveling by Elizabeth Norris

This book was a disappointment. I was reeled in by the blurb and enjoyed the first part of the book, but then it became convoluted. There were just too many things happening to be realistic, especially when the sci fi element was introduced. Janelle wasn't a bad protagonist, she was outspoken, intelligent and caring, but the romance between her and Ben, like many of today's YA novels, happened far too quickly. I thought there would be more suspense in this book as the main characters raced against the clock to save the world, but basically "Unravelling" was just another teen romance. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jan 22, 2016 |
  HeatherLINC | Jan 22, 2016 |
Another unrealistically bad ass teenager saves the day, but isn't that pretty much what you'd expect from the genre? I enjoyed the story because of the characters and their interactions -- and of course the references to the X-Files, Firefly, and San Diego ComicCon -- not because I found the parallel universe or the teenage FBI-style agents believable.

I really liked how vivid the characters were in my mind as I listened and how real the relationships felt, with the exception of Janelle's mother. She was reduced to a caricature of someone suffering from bipolar (who clearly wasn't being properly medicated) and had no real relationship with anyone, to the point that I wondered why she was even in the story. (At one point I thought maybe she'd been snatched from another universe as a child and that's why she was mentally unstable, but there was nothing to that effect in the first or second books in the series.)

I enjoyed the parallel universe idea only b/c it's something I hadn't yet encountered in YA dystopian sci-fi, and I read so much of that that I always appreciate a different angle. But the whole idea of separate universes that have the exact same people (down to the same names) seems completely improbable. The moment one universe separates from another, some people would inevitably make different decisions that would lead to completely different outcomes -- and offspring. Some of the first generation offspring might be similar to their parallel universe counterparts, but after a few more generations, they'd undoubtedly diverge to the point that the second universe would be filled with completely different people.

That drove me crazy about the parallel universes in the TV show Fringe, as well. And yet I really loved the show. I gave this book four stars, so clearly I'm capable of hoisting my disbelief out of the way if I enjoy the characters enough :-) ( )
  PerpetualRevision | Oct 25, 2015 |
Things all start when Janelle Tenner is killed by a truck, however she's saved by a boy, a boy she has noticed but has never seemed to notice her back. Now she's involved in a race against time to save the world, but can their romance survive.

I liked this one, liked the characters and how they made hard decisions because they should, and weren't afraid to abide by those decisions. An interesting read that kept me wondering. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Oct 16, 2014 |
When it comes to Unraveling, I had just been looking for something quick and easy to read. Don't get me wrong, I've had it for a long time and thought the summary sounded good, sadly when I read it I got just that, a quick and easy ready that didn't wow me at all.

Janelle, the main character, is working her last day at the beach, its also the last day of summer before she goes back to school. Everything seems to be going fine, she's with her boyfriend, they haven't had an incident in the water (she's a lifeguard) and she's making plans with her friends, until while leaving to pick her brother up she is hit by by a truck and brought back to life (a little bit Twilight-esk move if you ask me) by the school's loner Ben. She knows she's died, because her life flashes before her eyes and she is remembering things about her mother before she was unhappy most of the time. Not only is she remembering things about her self, but it seems she is also seeing into Ben's thoughts and memories as he heals her. She knows she's right, and not crazy, but trying to corner and confront Ben is looking like a more difficult task than she thought.

At home her mum is bi-polar and no longer the person she once was, her dad is an FBI agent and constantly away all the time, which leaves her and her brother Jared. She practically raises him, feeds him and makes sure he gets to school on time. Hell she practically looks after them all. But her dad is on a new case a bit closer to home, one with a series of strange and random deaths. Janelle and her best friend Alex decided to do some investigating their self but Janelle soon finds out that the deaths, and her new mysterious Ben, may be linked in ways she never thought possible. Doubt of her new love interest and the discovery of a clock counting down to something terrible, Janelle knows that no matter what she might find she has to keep on searching for answers. After all she's lost too much already.

If I'm honest, I didn't like Janelle's character, that's not to say she was a bad one, I just did.. feel a spark with her. I didn't really get her relationship with Ben, at times I felt she thought she 'loved him' more out of the fact that he saved her life. There was moments when I felt like it was all one sided. It's strange, with Ben I never doubted his feelings, they were right out there in the open and granted I felt them to be a bit borderline stalkerish sometimes, they were still true. There were only a handful of times I felt anything for Janelle's character, times when it was just impossible not to. So like I said, she wasn't a bad character I just found her annoying at times. As far as sub characters go, I loved Alex, he made me laugh and really seemed like a loyal friend (at times I thought he was secretly in love with Janelle but I've been wrong before) and he was just a character that I warmed to. Ben's best friend Elijah and Reid however I could not. I think that is because they didn't try setting any roots down or connecting with more people, they were just so focused on one thing and even though I know it was a big thing, I also would have liked to see them actually give others the time of day instead of just brushing them of

So much happened in this book and it made it damn near impossible to stay focused. If it was spaced out a little bit more between the series than maybe I would have liked it better. I really liked the idea behind the story, and I also know it was a début so I'm hoping that the others will be better. I didn't hate this book, not really. I just expected more than what I got but that's due to my own stupidly high standards. ( )
  Staciesnape | Sep 14, 2014 |

"If Janelle Tenner wants to avenge her father's death and stop the end of the world, she's going to need to uncover Ben's secrets--and keep from falling in love with him in the process"--

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,053,156 books! | Top bar: Always visible