Doctor Who: The Silent Stars Go By by Dan…
Member:wilderwoman
Title:Doctor Who: The Silent Stars Go By
Authors:Dan Abnett
Info:Random House UK (2011), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 352 pages

The Silent Stars Go by by Dan Abnett

The Doctor is trying to bring Amy and Rory home for Christmas…and they land upon a breathtaking, properly bone-chilling winter with crunchy snow and clear black skies dotted with stars. But while it is the midwinter festival, it’s not home; it’s a colony of terraforming Morphans, whose climate is changing in ways they don’t understand, and who are encountering monsters that their spiritual guide does not seem to account for. Will the TARDIS crew be able to save the Morphans and help them withstand these freezing winters and continue the work of 27 generations?

This was a great story, not least because Rory gets his own storyline to work with. I always felt Rory was somewhat underused, and he is in fine form here. I like Amy too, don’t get me wrong, but if you’re one half of the Amy/Rory couple and you are not Amy, you’re bound to be overshadowed a bit.

I enjoyed the inclusion of a classic Doctor Who foe and the use of Christmas carols for each chapter title. I didn’t realize that the book title comes from O Little Town of Bethlehem! I learned something new from this book.

This story is a worthy addition to the 50th anniversary collection. ( )
1 vote rabbitprincess | Sep 12, 2018 |
It was a bit disorienting reading rather than watching Doctor Who, not something I do often, but this one was well written, enough that the characters for Amy, Rory and the Doctor from the book looked and sounded right. I liked the Ice Warriors a lot, and would love to see more of them. ( )
  JBarringer | Dec 30, 2017 |
Since 2011, I've had an annual tradition of reading a Doctor Who Christmas book in December. Having exhausted the Christmas-themed Short Trips, I'm now onto The Silent Stars Go by, a novel featuring the eleventh Doctor, Amy, and Rory up against the Ice Warriors. It's not very Christmassy, to be honest, but it is pretty cold-- Abnett does a good job evoking the freezing cold. It's also quite fun: Abnett nails the character voices perfectly, and I even liked the Ice Warriors.
  Stevil2001 | Dec 28, 2013 |
See more reviews at The Best Books Ever!

In honor of the 50th anniversary of Doctor Who, BBC Books has reissued/redesigned/reawesomed a series of eleven books -- one for, you guessed it, each Doctor. The Silent Stars Go By follows our current Doctor, Amy, and Rory, as they try to get back to Leadworth for Christmas. As usual, though, their TARDIS trip is more than a bit... off.

Instead of present day England, the trio winds up in the far, far, far future on a planet colonized by Morphans, people who are distant descendants of humans as we know them. It wouldn't be a Doctor Who story if trouble didn't almost immediately ensue, of course, and that happens when Rory goes back to the TARDIS to get something and the trio gets split up. Most of the first half of the book involves a lot of running and hiding and trying to explain why they have suddenly shown up on this planet; the back half involves a lot of running and hiding and fighting alien monsters, and then finally solving the mystery. In other words, just another day in the life of the Doctor and his companions.

The author really nails the voices of Amy, Rory, and the Doctor. I could hear their voices in my head when I was reading the dialogue. There's one particular dramatic monologue by the Doctor that I could practically envision Matt Smith acting out, it was just that spot on with his voice, speech patterns, etc. There are also lots of recurring jokes and humorous moments in the story, both in the banter between the characters, and in some rather witty verbal misunderstandings from the Morphans.

There were some parts where the book dragged a little, particularly in the sections which only focused on the Morphans. And like any Who story, the final conclusion and how the Doctor works out the problem felt rushed and a little convoluted, but if you're a Who fan, you're probably used to that. I don't think you need much prior knowledge about the show to read this book and understand it, but the book's real strengths -- the dialogue and relationship between Amy, Rory, and the Doctor -- have more meaning if you're familiar with the characters already. There is some violence of the scary-alien-monster kind, but otherwise, this is a very clean read. ( )
1 vote goorgoahead | Dec 4, 2013 |
50th Anniversary Collection. 11th Doctor, Amy & Rory. Ice Warriors.
  hapaxes | Sep 16, 2013 |
For George

The Doctor, Amy and Rory find a society breaking apart under the strain. Tensions are mounting, old rivalries are coming to the fore, people are dying - And then the Doctor's old enemies the Ice Warriors make their move. With the cold-hearted threat of invasion, the real battle for survival begins. Or does it?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,184,148 books! | Top bar: Always visible