The Good Father by Noah Hawley

The Good Father (edition 2012)

by Noah Hawley

Title:The Good Father
Authors:Noah Hawley
Info:Hodder & Stoughton (2012), Editie: First Edition, Hardcover, 320 pagina's
Tags:American literature, Literature

The Good Father by Noah Hawley

English (32)  German (1)  All languages (33)
Noah Hawley has written brilliantly about a subject that few of us consider when a seemingly senseless, horrific crime occurs: the family of the alleged perpetrator. Paul Allen is a renown rheumatologist when his son, Daniel, from his first marriage is accused of killing a popular Democratic candidate for president. Paul is wracked with guilt about this son whom he left in California with his first wife when he moved east and established a new life with a new family. He refuses to accept that his son committed the crime, and attempts to exonerate him using medical procedural approaches that have served him and his patients so well in determining the cause of their symptoms. He thoroughly researches cases of murders and assassinations that have occurred in the past, which adds another compelling layer to this extraordinarily good novel. Paul and his family are reviled by the press, people in the community and his colleagues. The emotional toll on his marriage is compelling and realistic. This is a book I will long remember and highly recommend. ( )
  pdebolt | Sep 3, 2015 |

This is the story of Paul Allen, whose son has assassinated a high profile candidate on the road to becoming President of the U.S. Dr. Allen cannot accept that his son is guilty. He searches to understand what happened, what was motivating his son's behaviour. He blames himself because he had divorced his son's mother and moved across the country. He searches for facts, and for meaning. This is a very moving story about a father's love, and about the society we live in. ( )
  LynnB | Jun 16, 2015 |
Powerfully painful and realistic. There are some things in life that you just can't accept no matter what the reality is; this father can't accept what his son has done. I am currently going through a life change that I just can't accept and so many of the father's tortured thoughts and feelings echoed my own that it was eerie. ( )
  ChewDigest | Sep 12, 2014 |
Gripping from start to finish, with a classic American economy of language (think Richard Ford, John Steinbeck or Chuck Palahniuk) that drives the story on. The three stranded structure to the book was a clever way to get the whole story across, switching between the father's attempts to make sense of his son's actions, a narrative that reveals the son's trajectory and case studies of other famous crimes. As I was reading, I thought what a good film or mini series it would make, then read the author blurb and understood why. ( )
  missizicks | Aug 24, 2014 |
Dr Paul Allen is a happy family man. His whole life changes when he hears the news that his eldest son has killed the next president of the United States.

My Thoughts:

I get the point of this book. It made me think and any parent will know where this book is coming from. I would myself move mountains for my two lads. Would I or could I believe that either of my lads are capable of such a crime. No is my answer and yes I would do what Paul has done in the story. So yes I get the point of this book.

My problem is that I didn't enjoy the book and didnt really like the story. I found the book quite disturbing and really quite depressing. The story started quite well and I settled into it but I started to lose the way. I was hoping that perhaps the story turned out to be a bit more of a thriller. I was thinking along the lines of a Jodi Picoult book where the reader has the dilemma what would they have done, and then perhaps at the end of the book a humdinger if a court case.

This book was very much along the same lines as 'We need to talk about Kevin' another book that questions where did the parent go wrong.

Not really for me but at times I was interested and at other times I couldn't have cared less. Not sure who I would recommend this book to as I feel that the back bone of the story was promising but I feel it fizzled out with a lot of ramblings by the narrator. ( )
  tina1969 | Jun 29, 2014 |
For Kyle and Guinevere, proof that life is good
He bought the gun in Long Beach, at a pawnshop called Lucky's.

An intense, psychological novel about one doctor's suspense-filled quest to unlock the mind of a suspected political assassin: his twenty-year old son.
As the Chief of Rheumatology at Columbia Presbyterian, Dr. Paul Allen's specialty is diagnosing patients with conflicting symptoms, patients other doctors have given up on. He lives a contented life in Westport with his second wife and their twin sons—hard won after a failed marriage earlier in his career that produced a son named Daniel. In the harrowing opening scene of this provocative and affecting novel, Dr. Allen is home with his family when a televised news report announces that the Democratic candidate for president has been shot at a rally, and Daniel is caught on video as the assassin.
Daniel Allen has always been a good kid—a decent student, popular—but, as a child of divorce, used to shuttling back and forth between parents, he is also something of a drifter. Which may be why, at the age of nineteen, he quietly drops out of Vassar and begins an aimless journey across the United States, during which he sheds his former skin and eventually even changes his name to Carter Allen Cash.
Told alternately from the point of view of the guilt-ridden, determined father and his meandering, ruminative son, The Good Father is a powerfully emotional page-turner that keeps one guessing until the very end. This is an absorbing and honest novel about the responsibilities—and limitations—of being a parent and our capacity to provide our children with unconditional love in the face of an unthinkable situation.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:23 -0400)

An intense, psychological novel about one doctor's suspense-filled quest to unlock the mind of a suspected political assassin: his 20-year old son.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,947,300 books! | Top bar: Always visible