The Good Father by Noah Hawley

The Good Father (edition 2012)

by Noah Hawley

Member:Brnoot
Title:The Good Father
Authors:Noah Hawley
Info:Hodder & Stoughton (2012), Editie: First Edition, Hardcover, 320 pagina's
Rating:*****
Tags:American literature, Literature

The Good Father by Noah Hawley

Powerfully painful and realistic. There are some things in life that you just can't accept no matter what the reality is; this father can't accept what his son has done. I am currently going through a life change that I just can't accept and so many of the father's tortured thoughts and feelings echoed my own that it was eerie. ( )
  ChewDigest | Sep 12, 2014 |
Gripping from start to finish, with a classic American economy of language (think Richard Ford, John Steinbeck or Chuck Palahniuk) that drives the story on. The three stranded structure to the book was a clever way to get the whole story across, switching between the father's attempts to make sense of his son's actions, a narrative that reveals the son's trajectory and case studies of other famous crimes. As I was reading, I thought what a good film or mini series it would make, then read the author blurb and understood why. ( )
  missizicks | Aug 24, 2014 |
Dr Paul Allen is a happy family man. His whole life changes when he hears the news that his eldest son has killed the next president of the United States.

My Thoughts:

I get the point of this book. It made me think and any parent will know where this book is coming from. I would myself move mountains for my two lads. Would I or could I believe that either of my lads are capable of such a crime. No is my answer and yes I would do what Paul has done in the story. So yes I get the point of this book.

My problem is that I didn't enjoy the book and didnt really like the story. I found the book quite disturbing and really quite depressing. The story started quite well and I settled into it but I started to lose the way. I was hoping that perhaps the story turned out to be a bit more of a thriller. I was thinking along the lines of a Jodi Picoult book where the reader has the dilemma what would they have done, and then perhaps at the end of the book a humdinger if a court case.

This book was very much along the same lines as 'We need to talk about Kevin' another book that questions where did the parent go wrong.

Not really for me but at times I was interested and at other times I couldn't have cared less. Not sure who I would recommend this book to as I feel that the back bone of the story was promising but I feel it fizzled out with a lot of ramblings by the narrator. ( )
  tina1969 | Jun 29, 2014 |
This is an amazing book. Hawley takes a situation that is far beyond what anybody could imagine going through and makes it entirely believable. What would you do if you were the parent of someone accused of assassinating a presidential candidate? This is what Paul Allen has to face as his world changes forever with an assertive knock on his front door.

Hawley smoothly integrates into his story detailed research into the lives and families of past killers which Allen scours in his frantic attempts to understand himself and his relationship with the son he must accept he never really knew. There is one rather glaring factual error in his research that I would call him out for if the rest of the book were no so good. I the first chapter on my Kindle and was hooked. It is was a book that I had to read every spare minute I had. ( )
  Unkletom | May 2, 2014 |
This was a reading group book and I didn't expect much but it was excellent. A book to make you think but don't expect answers. ( )
  infjsarah | Mar 30, 2014 |
For Kyle and Guinevere, proof that life is good
He bought the gun in Long Beach, at a pawnshop called Lucky's.

An intense, psychological novel about one doctor's suspense-filled quest to unlock the mind of a suspected political assassin: his twenty-year old son.

As the Chief of Rheumatology at Columbia Presbyterian, Dr. Paul Allen's specialty is diagnosing patients with conflicting symptoms, patients other doctors have given up on. He lives a contented life in Westport with his second wife and their twin sons—hard won after a failed marriage earlier in his career that produced a son named Daniel. In the harrowing opening scene of this provocative and affecting novel, Dr. Allen is home with his family when a televised news report announces that the Democratic candidate for president has been shot at a rally, and Daniel is caught on video as the assassin.

Daniel Allen has always been a good kid—a decent student, popular—but, as a child of divorce, used to shuttling back and forth between parents, he is also something of a drifter. Which may be why, at the age of nineteen, he quietly drops out of Vassar and begins an aimless journey across the United States, during which he sheds his former skin and eventually even changes his name to Carter Allen Cash.

Told alternately from the point of view of the guilt-ridden, determined father and his meandering, ruminative son, The Good Father is a powerfully emotional page-turner that keeps one guessing until the very end. This is an absorbing and honest novel about the responsibilities—and limitations—of being a parent and our capacity to provide our children with unconditional love in the face of an unthinkable situation.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:50:33 -0400)

An intense, psychological novel about one doctor's suspense-filled quest to unlock the mind of a suspected political assassin: his 20-year old son.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,671,507 books! | Top bar: Always visible