This is not a Diary by Zygmunt Bauman

This is not a Diary

by Zygmunt Bauman

Always hard to review a book you haven't enjoyed but you want to put some valid thoughts down that may help others. Although I didn't finish it, I did dip into some different sections rather than reading it from cover to cover. The reason for this was that I actually found it difficult to read and thought that by trying another part of the book it may inspire me to return to the start and try again. Sadly, for me it didn't. The reason however that I've said the book is "okay" and worth three stars is that the comments were interesting and thought provoking; for those people who have more interest than me. As a well-educated invidiual who has read material of this nature before and will again I had hoped I'd be able to access it much better than I did but I couldn't and I became lost. It isn't highly academic so please don't think that by my comment, you just really need to see into the cover to get an understanding of what the essays are about and to see if his observations match your interest. ( )
  SmithSJ01 | Jul 19, 2012 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 074565570X, Paperback)

This is not a diary: while these observations were recorded in autumn 2010 and spring 2011 in the form of dated entries, they are not a personal reflection but an attempt to capture signs of our times in their movement - possibly at birth, at a stage when they are still barely perceptible, and in any case before they have matured into common, all too familiar forms, escaping our attention due to their banality. Some will perhaps settle in our daily life for a long time to come, others will fade and vanish before they would otherwise have a chance to be noted, recorded and explored in depth: in our fast-moving, protean and kaleidoscopic world, it is hardly possible to predict their future course and to decide in advance which of them will grow in volume and significance and which will prove to have been still-born. Whatever their fate, the author tried to take a leaf from William Blake's precept of seeing the universe in a grain of sand - and, having done so, alert us to what is or may be happening to our individual lives, forms of togetherness, shared prospects; to the ways we perceive and relate to each other, the forces that shape our life chances and itineraries; and to the ways we try to control, or at least influence, and sometimes even reform for the better, some or all those dimensions of our existence.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:23 -0400)

"This is not a diary: while these observations were recorded in autumn 2010 and spring 2011 in the form of dated entries, they are not a personal reflection but an attempt to capture signs of our times in their movement - possibly at birth, at a stage when they are still barely perceptible, and in any case before they have matured into common, all too familiar forms, escaping our attention due to their banality. Some will perhaps settle in our daily life for a long time to come, others will fade and vanish before they would otherwise have a chance to be noted, recorded and explored in depth: in our fast moving, protean and kaleidoscopic world it is hardly possible to predict their future course and to decide in advance which of them will grow in volume and significance and which will prove to have been still-born. Whatever their fate, the author tried to take a leaf from William Blake's precept of seeing the universe in a grain of sand - and, having done so, alert us to what is or may be happening to our individual lives, forms of togetherness, shared prospects, to the ways we perceive and relate to each other, the forces that shape our life chances and itineraries, and to the ways we try to control, or at least influence, and sometimes even reform for the better, some or all those dimensions of our existence. These timely meditations by one of the most perceptive social thinkers of our time will appeal to a wide range of readers."--Wheelers.co.nz… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,400,672 books! | Top bar: Always visible