1Q84 by Haruki Murakami

1Q84 (edition 2011)

by Haruki Murakami, Jay Rubin (Translator), Philip Gabriel (Translator)

Series: 1Q84 (1-3)

4,761238982 (3.83)3 / 682
Member:noblechicken
Title:1Q84
Authors:Haruki Murakami
Other authors:Jay Rubin (Translator), Philip Gabriel (Translator)
Info:Knopf (2011), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 944 pages
Rating:*****

1Q84 by Haruki Murakami

English (223)  Spanish (5)  Dutch (4)  Italian (2)  Catalan (1)  All (1)  Greek (1)  German (1)  All (238)
Aomame is a fitness instructor who is recruited by a client to carry out special assignments. A taxi driver's strange proposal to her changes her world.

Tengo is a math teacher and aspiring novelist. Re-writing a manuscript for a dyslexic teenager changes his world.

Linked by a powerful event that happened twenty years ago, these two seem doomed never to be together again no matter how much they want to be. ( )
  jenn88 | Apr 25, 2017 |
No matter what other people say, I still love Murakami's work. I'm a fan (and there's nothing you can do about it! lol).

His pattern is still there. Let me show you the Murakami bingo: by New York Times
But his works never fail to amuse me.

Tengo is a math teacher and an aspiring novelist. He is only working, however, behind the scenes as he is editing and being a ghost writer. Komatsu, his boss, asked him to rewrite Fuka-Eri’s novel because he sees potential in it. The book was about a religious sect and ‘small people’.

On the other hand, Aomame is a fitness instructor and an undercover assassin. She works for an enigmatic company and does whatever her boss the dowager orders her.

1Q84 is what Aomame calls the other world of 1984. She accidentally enters it and finds herself dealing with a controversial religious group (It was an occupational hazard, mind you). Meanwhile, Tengo is also drawn to the other world and calls it as the Cat town by juxtaposing this world to the story he read. Tengo and Aomame were classmates in primary school and got departed. After twenty years, they still like each other even if they don’t know where the other is.

1Q84 was derived from George Orwell’s 1984. “Q” is phonetically “kyu” which in Japanese, it means nine [ 一九ハ四 (Ichi kyu hachi yon) = 1984]. It composes of three volumes. The first and second volumes contains the interchanging point of views by Tengo and Aomame. The third volume introduces another point of view, Ushikawa’s, an investigator.

I particularly like the third book. I like the investigation specially the chaseI really pity Ushikawa!! ( ; _ ; )/. And I very much like the love story, yeah, I'm a cheeser lol o(≧▽≦)o. The story is so long that it makes the love story exciting.

This novel was longlisted for the 2011 Man Asian Literary Prize.

However, I have some criticisms.
First, it's very repetitive, so I find myself reading things I read before over and over, and reading paraphrases regarding the same topic (see what I did there? haha).
I know it's originally serialize but if the repetitive paragraphs are omitted, it would not be this long.

Second, in a feminist view, this will only get 1 or 2 stars. Women in the book were used as sex symbols or sex crave people like Aomame & Ayumi have the sudden urge of just wanting to have sex with men they don't know; the girlfriend of Tengo, a married older woman, goes to Tengo just for sex; Eri & Kumi's breasts, breasts, and breasts.
But it was shown that Aomame is a cool, intelligent and very skillful woman. Also, the dowager helps the battered women.

And lastly, the unnecessary things like: “Feeling a little hungry, she took out some Camembert, cut a wedge, and ate it with crackers. When the cheese was half gone, she washed a stalk of celery, spread it with mayonnaise, and munched it whole.” For several times, he even mention Tengo opening the refrigerator looking for wine.

But I learned to accept that Murakami's works are very detailed. I know that it's his style (and like it). I just want to put it here in my criticism part :) ( )
  phoibee | Apr 23, 2017 |
Beautifully written. ( )
  Aneris | Apr 22, 2017 |
Long, sometimes intriguing, sometimes confusing, ultimately worth the time. ( )
  Jon_Hansen | Apr 2, 2017 |
I was intrigued because I enjoy books that wander from reality to explore our world. I remained hopeful that the story would be more than it seemed and plodded through the repetitive descriptions of ears and simple meals. I got distracted wondering what percentage of those 1200 pages were simply characters repeating back to each other what they had just said. I kept waiting for the little people and the alternative world to be at least an interesting metaphor. At the end, I was still waiting. A book for fans of the author rather than the uninitiated. ( )
  77nanci | Mar 31, 2017 |
Murakami name-drops George Orwell's laugh-riot 1984 several times. Both books deal with the concept of manipulated realities. And while Murakami's book is more than three times as long, it's also more fun to read.
added by WeeklyAlibi | editWeekly Alibi, John Bear (Jan 26, 2012)

As always, the experience is a bit like watching a Hollywood-influenced Japanese movie in a version that’s been dubbed by American actors. This time, sad to say, it also reminded me of stretches of the second season of Twin Peaks: familiar characters do familiar things, with the expected measure of weirdness, but David Lynch has squabbled with the network and left the show.

I finished 1Q84 feeling that its spiritual project was heroic and beautiful, that its central conflict involved a pitched battle between realism and unrealism (while being scrupulously fair to both sides), and that, in our own somewhat unreal times, younger readers, unlike me, would have no trouble at all believing in the existence of Little People and replicants. What they may have trouble with is the novel’s absolute faith in the transformative power of love.

One of the many longueurs in Haruki Murakami’s stupefying new novel, “1Q84,” sends the book’s heroine, a slender assassin named Aomame, into hiding. To sustain her through this period of isolation she is given an apartment, groceries and the entirety of Marcel Proust’s “Remembrance of Things Past.”

For pity’s sake, if you have that kind of spare time, follow her lead. Aomame has the chance to read a book that is long and demanding but well worth the effort. The very thought of Aomame’s situation will pain anyone stuck in the quicksand of “1Q84.” You, sucker, will wade through nearly 1,000 uneventful pages while discovering a Tokyo that has two moons and is controlled by creatures that emerge from the mouth of a dead goat. These creatures are called Little People. They are supposed to be very wise, even though the smartest thing they ever say is “Ho ho.”

1Q84 is psychologically unconvincing and morally unsavory, full of lacunas and loose ends, stuffed to the gills with everything but the kitchen sink and a coherent story. By every standard metric, it is gravely flawed. But, I admit, standard metrics are difficult to apply to Murakami. It's tempting to write that out of five stars, I'd give this book two moons.

Haruki Murakamiprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dean, SuzanneCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gabriel, PhilipTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Holm, MetteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rubin, JayTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It's a Barnum and Bailey world,
just as phoney as it can be,
But it wouldn't be make-believe
if you believed in me

"It's Only a Paper Moon,"
~~ Billy Rose and E. Y. "Yip" Harburg
The taxi's radio was tuned to a classical FM broadcast.
I'm taking you straight to bald heaven, nonstop.
Don't let appearances fool you. There's always only one reality.
Please remember: things are not what they seem.
Sit back, relax and enjoy the smell of evil
This is those works (sets, single-volume editions) containing the complete text of 1Q84. Please do not combine with any single volumes from multi-book versions.

Assassin, cult, love,
two moons over Tokyo.
"Not all wounds gush blood".
(Jenni_Canuck)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307593312, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, October 2011: The year is 1984, but not for long. Aomame, on her way to meet a client--the gravid implications of which only come clear later--sits in a taxi, stuck in traffic. On a lark, she takes the driver's advice, bolts from the cab, walks onto the elevated Tokyo expressway, descends an emergency ladder to the street below, and enters a strange new world.

In parallel, a math teacher and aspiring novelist named Tengo gets an interesting offer. His editor has come upon an entry for a young writer's literary prize, a story that, despite its obvious stylistic drawbacks, strikes a deeply moving chord with those who've read it. Its author is a mysterious 17-year-old, and the editor proposes that Tengo quietly rewrite the story for the final round of the competition.

So begins Haruki Murakami's magnus opus, an epic of staggering proportions. As the tale progresses, it folds in a deliciously intriguing cast of characters: a physically repulsive private investigator, a wealthy dowager with a morally ambiguous mission, her impeccably resourceful bodyguard, the leader of a somewhat obscure and possibly violent religious organization, a band of otherworldly "Little People," a door-to-door fee collector seemingly immune to the limits of space and time, and the beautiful Fuka-Eri: dyslexic, unfathomable, and scarred.

Aomame names her new world "1Q84" in honor of its mystery: "Q is for 'question mark.' A world that bears a question.'" Weaving through it, central motifs--the moon, Janáček's Sinfonietta, George Orwell's 1984--acquire powerful resonance, and Aomame and Tengo's paths take on a conjoined life of their own, dancing with a protracted elegance that requires nearly 1,000 pages to reach its crowning denouement.

1Q84 was a runaway best seller in its native Japan, but it's more instructive to frame the book's importance in other ways. For one, it's hard not to compare it to James Joyce's Ulysses. Both enormous novels mark their respective author's most ambitious undertaking by far, occupy an artificially discrete unit of time (Ulysses, one day; 1Q84, one year), and can be read as having a narrative structure that evinces an almost quantum-mechanical relationship to reality, which is not to say that either author intended this.

More to the point, the English translation of 1Q84--easily the grandest work of world literature since Roberto Bolaño's 2666--represents a monstrous literary event. Now would somebody please award Murakami his Nobel Prize? --Jason Kirk

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:16 -0400)

An ode to George Orwell's "1984" told in alternating male and female voices relates the stories of Aomame, an assassin for a secret organization who discovers that she has been transported to an alternate reality, and Tengo, a mathematics lecturer and novice writer.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,413,128 books! | Top bar: Always visible