Well With My Soul by Gregory G. Allen

Well With My Soul

by Gregory G. Allen

~~~

No 'real' review here. I think this was too personal for me. It made me angry. Angry because I watched a human life destroyed because of such self-worthlessness, for no reason.

This story is beautifully told, it has a few glitches and twitches, but nothing that keeps it from being a 100% worthy read. This will stick with me forever.

In fact, it is such an important read that I mentioned in in my Hop Against Homophobia and Transphobia 2013 Blog Hop:

*thanks for letting me know about this one d :)

~~~

Take a look at my Male/Male Romance Book Blog:

http://www.attentionisarbitrary.blogspot.com ( )
  LisaT131 | Sep 21, 2013 |
From Lilac Wolf and Stuff

I'm pretty sure the guy on the cover is Jacob Garrett. He's a good looking gay-man who believes he is destined for greatness. He talks his boyfriend into moving from Tennessee to New York so he can be famous. He is successful as a male model, but can't catch a break in acting. Actually if he'd bother to tone down his ego and lay off the booze and pills, he may have made it.

Noah, on the other hand is a good ol' boy who stays back in Tennessee with their mother, who dies of lung cancer after a few years. Noah, not wanting to be in that small town either, moves to Nashville and finds work. He also starts writing, and turns out he has a great deal of talent. When his career takes off, Noah ends up in New York as well, happy to be living closer to his brother. Family is a big theme in this book.

After nearly dying, Jacob trades coke for Jesus. The going back and forth between brothers highlights what a self centered person Jacob really is, even after sobering up. It's who he was from the beginning, and he breaks the hearts of everyone around him. The addiction was played out perfectly here, because he never truly is cured. He gives it up, but the behavior that led him there remains.

Truly this is a heartbreaking story, but I couldn't put it down. So even though it made me sad, it is a great story. ( )
  lilacwolf | Dec 5, 2011 |
"WELL WITH MY SOUL" BY GREGORY G. ALLEN

This story is about two brothers raised by their widowed mother. Jacob and Noah couldn't be more different than if they'd been born to two different sets of parents, and though Jacob is openly homosexual while Noah is straight that's not the only differences between these two young men. Noah is a hard worker, dedicated to taking care of his family while Jacob is more laid back and just takes life as it comes. Still while he loves his brother and has no problem with his life choices, Noah is tired of their mother always comparing him to Jacob as if he's the golden child.

When Jacob decides to move to New York with his partner and Noah stays behind to care for their mother a world of excitement, adventure, and unknown danger opens up for him, but what will it ultimately cost him and what lessons will both brothers learn along the way?

This novel was the perfect view of the life of a homosexual male trying to make it in a world that's hard on everyone, but the temptations can sometimes have a deadly price to pay in the end. It's also the story of brothers and their differences as well as how losing someone you love, someone that has always been there for you and accepted you for who you are, can change your entire life, some changes of which are not always for the better.

The story is wonderfully written and you could feel the character's emotions. It teaches you that changing is not always easy, and at times it is best to be yourself and realize who you are and embrace it rather than try to live a lie. I highly recommend this book, Gregory G. Allen has a way of writing that keeps you interested long after you've finished the book.

Kitty Bullard / Great Minds Think Aloud / http://www.greatmindsliterarycommunity.moonfruit.com/

Read more: http://www.greatmindsthinkaloud.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board... ( )
  RavenswoodPublishing | Oct 7, 2011 |

Jacob and Noah Garrett are brothers harboring a lifelong resentment towards each other while dealing with their own compulsive obsessions. One is a liberal gay man who forsakes his family and moves to New York City from Tennessee where he travels deep into a labyrinth of sex and drugs while fighting the fear over his homosexuality. The other is a southern conservative who is left at home holding the proverbial family bag. The story follows their loosely intertwined lives through the wild times of the late seventies and the restraint of the Reagan years in which one brother ends up becoming a minister and preaching his doctrine while the other believes there are some things people are born with and not meant to change. Well with My Soul is told through the perspective of both brothers and shows how misguided choices can drastically affect those around you for years to come; and family may be all that one has when looking for peace to stifle the embers that smolder beneath the surface.

Finalist in the Literary Fiction category of The USA "Best Books 2011" Awards
Short-listed for 2012 Indie Lit Awards

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:19 -0400)

Gregory G. Allen is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,432,097 books! | Top bar: Always visible