Emblaze by Jessica Shirvington

This book was a whirlwind of emotions, between Lincoln and Violet, and Phoenix and violet. Not to mention all the sacrifices and the fact that violet was ready to die when she was hanging over the edge of a cliff. When Lincoln finally confessed his true love for her just to save her had me in tears!! When Evelyn came back I was completely shocked and with the cliff hanger at the end made me want to cry! This book is amazing it was hands down the best out of the 3 I have read so far. I NEED the 4th one!! ( )
  bethanyrenee13 | May 13, 2016 |
I'm really enjoying this series and this book was another nice step forward in the plot. I'm wondering how many more books there will be in it though. So far, there are very good reasons why the love interests can't come together and the plot is interesting enough that I don't mind reading through, but I'm hoping that the next book will at least start to resolve things. ( )
  lovelypenny | Feb 4, 2016 |
Let me just start off by saying that this is my personal opinion & in no way saying others should or shouldn't feel this way nor am I saying anyone shouldn't start, continue on, or finish this series.

This book for me was not great at all. It took me two weeks to read this book where the other books only took a few days, although Entice did take me a little longer to get into, but once I did, it only took me a few days to finish but in total, it took about a week..

Now, normally, I am not one to struggle through a book, but the only reason I did so was because I do love the series otherwise...And plan on continuing..But I was so frustrated with over done situations,long drawn out "scenes", overly explained situations and sometimes, things being repeated when it shouldn't have been.

Yes, there were many parts that I enjoyed and liked a lot but the situation between Violet & Lincoln was so over done in the book that it just drove me nuts...I had started this book back in May, put it down then started it again close to the end of June. Just for it to take another two weeks to get through...I had to skip a chapter and about 10 pages in the next one..

The Violet/Lincoln situation, okay, I understand, they have to fight some "feelings, especially after what happened in Entice but sheesh, come on! Almost the entire book talking about it? That could have been cut in half! To say I am a little frustrated is an understatement! lol...

Now, was it the worst I've read? NO! It wasn't the best but definitely better than many books I have read.

Again, I repeat, I do love this series, but it just so happened that this particular one in the series wasn't her best for me personally...

But I will continue on to Endless and just hope its much better...

I hate that I was so frustrated with it...Because this is one of my favorite series yet!

I love Lincoln, oh boy, do I love Lincoln! And of course Spence! Spence is just amazing & funny! Great heart! I do love the whole team, even Onyx & Dapper! lol...

Still can't wait for Endless in the States! :-) ( )
  MsBridgetReads | Jul 8, 2014 |
When I read the first few chapters of Entice, I thought this series had alot of promise. And I did find it an enjoyable read- it was full of action that left me on the edge of my seat at times, and had some nice romance, but it just didn't live up to its full potential. *sigh*.

And now for a small rant in list form(with spoilers)....

-At the start of the book, the way the existence of light and dark angels, that are needed to balance eachother out, was explained, made me excitedly think, "oooohhh... this is going to be a deep, slightly philosophical fantasy story that shows actual shades of grey". However, even after all Violet has seen (Onyx, Phoenix etc.), in this book she still jumps at the chance to divide things into good and evil, despite being reprimanded for it A DOZEN TIMES. I feel like she really needs to be hit over the head with it before it sinks in.
-Phoenix....I cannot put my annoyance with him into words. I thought he was perfectly relatable in the first book, but then he TRIED TO KILL/SERIOUSLY INJURE VIOLET WHILST CLAIMING TO LOVE HER. I can understand his manipulating her emotions towards Lincoln, fuelled by jealousy, but he seriously crossed some lines into insanity in the 2nd and 3rd books. Why did the author ruin a damaged but redeemable character? I think he is now beyond redemption with Violet. (She should not accept romance or even friendship with someone who would hurt her like that- especially with her past attack).
-Something that really annoys me in the books is Violet's tendency to hide things (usually her powers) from people who are supposed to be her TEAMMATES for no good reason (I don't want them to think I'm weird is not a good reason when their job involves saving lives).
-And finally, I feel like the books don't give enough depth to the secondary characters. I feel like I'm always too stuck in Violet's head, and don't really get the chance to really KNOW and UNDERSTAND the many potentially interesting characters like Steph and Spence- Violet can just be way too self-centred (not in a malicious/deliberately mean way) sometimes.

To end on a positive note, here is some gushing, STRICTLY with relevance to Emblaze, I PROMISE!

-I thought the way Violet's dad seemed to suddenly become suspicious and involved added a new level of drama. And Violet's resentment towards him was totally deserved, though I hope she forgives him eventually.
-Such a nice twist, Violet's mother coming back from the dead. It is one of the few plot turns that I did not anticipate at all.
-The romance between Violet and Lincoln was amazing, especially the scene with The Keeper.
-I was pleasantly surprised with the way things ended with Josephine. When she first appeared I was rolling my eyes thinking, "oh my god, not another unpleasant character with a hatred of Violet, who will turn out to be an evil traitor, how boring and not at all subtle! *Cough* Magda *Cough*". But she proved me wrong.

Anyway, that it my very passionate opinion of the book, and the series as a whole, which is very surprising considering it does not really rank amongst my favourites/least favourites.
  Sweet_Serenity | May 20, 2014 |

But I will continue on to Endless and just hope its much better...

Still can't wait for Endless in the States! :-) ( )
  OBridget1 | May 4, 2014 |

Violet Eden has accepted that she's part angel, part human-but nothing prepares her to be handed the key to the gates of Hell.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,341,018 books! | Top bar: Always visible