Double Shadow by Sally Gardner

Double Shadow (edition 2011)

by Sally Gardner

Member:bernm
Title:Double Shadow
Authors:Sally Gardner
Info:Indigo (2011), Paperback
Rating:****1/2

The Double Shadow by Sally Gardner

I couldn't make my mind up about this book for quite a while, I was enjoying it but was confused by one of the plotlines. All of a sudden a couple of pieces of the story fell into place for me and then I couldn't read it fast enough. Think this is definitely one for older YA readers. ( )
  juniperjungle | Apr 16, 2013 |
  juniperjungle | Apr 16, 2013 |
The Double Shadow is a mixture of historical and fantasy fiction with a little romantic spice thrown in.

It is 1937. A wealthy, eccentric inventor is planning an unusual present for his daughter Amaryllis' 17th birthday - a memory machine. However, to make it he has stolen many of her memories, leaving her an angry, disturbed young woman. When the machine is revealed there is an explosion. Amaryllis and Ezra, a young man from the village, find themselves with a very unlikely mystery to solve.

This is beautifully written with an interesting cast of characters, but I did find some bits of it rather confusing. There is so much going on, and there are a lot of names, and it jumps about in time and between characters. I was curious about a fantasy novel set in the late 1930s, just before WWII, but this isn't really historical fiction, though there is a wonderfully loathsome English Fascist villain.

It would be an excellent adventure story for older teenagers (and will probably be enjoyed by adults of all ages too). ( )
1 vote elkiedee | Oct 19, 2011 |

A girl tries to free herself from the terrifying double shadow of her childhood and forge her own future, but she is trapped in a memory machine created by her father.

Sally Gardner is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

4 wanted2 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,782,116 books! | Top bar: Always visible