The Lions of Little Rock by Kristin Levine

The Lions of Little Rock (edition 2013)

by Kristin Levine

Member:lindsayallen
Title:The Lions of Little Rock
Authors:Kristin Levine
Info:Puffin (2013), Paperback, 320 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:chapter book, segregation, friendship, family, racism, school, integration, 1950s, confederate, south, bravery, fear

The Lions of Little Rock by Kristin Levine

Integration began when I was in 7th grade. I still remember the 3 black students names who went to my school, China Grove Elementary. It was all very confusing for me as I grew up in a home where Black people were respected. Therefore this book was relevent to my life. Kristin Levine said she originally wanted to write an historic account of the Little Rock Nine which occurred in 1957, but when she went to Arkansas to interview folks about it, she found they wanted to talk about The Lost Year in 1958-1958. That was when schools were closed to prevent integration. She wrote a marvelous account of this based on Marlee a white 14 year old and Liz a black girl who looked to be white. These girls become friends but as the story evolves you realize that black and white can never be friends without the risk of life even for 2 innocent little girls.
The book is unforgettable and disturbing to remember those days of cruelty and unrest. ( )
  jothebookgirl | Jan 3, 2017 |
RGG: Two wonderful characters become friends in 1959 Little Rock, Arkansas against the backdrop of the Civil Rights movement. Reading Level: 10-12. DRA 60.
  rgruberexcel | Dec 27, 2016 |
  rgruberexcel | Dec 27, 2016 |
A well written book. I enjoyed the main characters .... I thought the feelings and struggles they went through felt real and true to the time period. Definitely a 7th grade and above read - and 1 that can spark lots of interesting dialogue. ( )
  pickleroad | Nov 10, 2016 |
This was the first book i ever read that brought up the issue of racism. Having the book from the view of Marlee makes it very interesting because you get an understanding of how young children don't really know what is wrong with having a different skin color. In my opinion, children are taught by their parents and their surroundings to be racist and this novel backs it up. Marlee and Liz's friendship helped me understand at a young age what racism is while still being an entertaining, good book to read. ( )
  sheridenschwertl | Nov 8, 2016 |
To my mother, for telling me about the lions
I talk a lot. Just not out loud where anyone can hear.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 039925644X, Hardcover)

Two girls separated by race form an unbreakable bond during the tumultuous integration of Little Rock schools in 1958

Twelve-year-old Marlee doesn't have many friends until she meets Liz, the new girl at school. Liz is bold and brave, and always knows the right thing to say, especially to Sally, the resident mean girl. Liz even helps Marlee overcome her greatest fear - speaking, which Marlee never does outside her family.

But then Liz is gone, replaced by the rumor that she was a Negro girl passing as white. But Marlee decides that doesn't matter. Liz is her best friend. And to stay friends, Marlee and Liz are willing to take on integration and the dangers their friendship could bring to both their families.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:41 -0400)

In 1958 Little Rock, Arkansas, painfully shy twelve-year-old Marlee sees her city and family divided over school integration, but her friendship with Liz, a new student, helps her find her voice and fight against racism.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,644,302 books! | Top bar: Always visible