Robbing the Bees: A Biography of Honey—The…

Robbing the Bees: A Biography of Honey—The Sweet Liquid Gold that… (edition 2006)

by Holley Bishop

Title:Robbing the Bees: A Biography of Honey—The Sweet Liquid Gold that Seduced the World
Authors:Holley Bishop
Info:Free Press (2006), Paperback, 336 pages
Tags:tupelo, beekeeping, honey

Robbing the Bees: A Biography of Honey--The Sweet Liquid Gold that Seduced the World by Holley Bishop

From Amazon: “Bishop — beekeeper, writer, and honey aficionado — apprentices herself to Donald Smiley, a professional beekeeper who harvests tupelo honey in the Florida panhandle. She intersperses the lively lore and science of honey with lyrical reflections on her own and Smiley’s beekeeping experiences. . . . Part history, part love letter”

Both beekeeper Smiley and Bishop are highly likeable and I greatly enjoyed this peek into making a living from honey, bottled yourself, before colony collapse syndrome.

Read this if: you’ve ever wanted to keep bees. 4 stars ( )
  ParadisePorch | Aug 23, 2016 |
One of the most fascinating books I have ever read, I turned back to page one and started over. I had promised my copy to a friend and (regretfully) relinquished it on Monday, I will have to finish my second reading at a later date. I knew a lot of basic information about bees: their basic social structure, the “dancing”, how they make honey… but the historical aspects were the most interesting. I kept regaling friends with “bee facts”, including that my name means honeybee… several expressed interest in learning more, but maybe they were just humoring me.

I really would have loved it if the author had included more pictures and illustrations.
  memccauley6 | May 3, 2016 |
I didn't finish this, I perused it.... It was long, informative & boring.... Full of history of beekeeping.

Very dry
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Jan 18, 2016 |
This book is full of interesting stuff about bees, but it is assembled in such a journalistic way that I could not bring myself to read a whole chapter, much less the entire book. ( )
  themulhern | Jun 23, 2015 |
Very interesting look at the Florida tupelo honey business and history. Some slow moments, but good overall. Had to go get some tupelo honey. Wonderful flavor, quite unique. Gave to Mama and Tim. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
Dedicated to the original Rubygoo
Until six years ago, I had no acquaintance with bees or honey.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0743250222, Paperback)

Holley Bishop loves bees. No, more than that: she idolizes them. She marvels at their native abilities and the momentous role these misunderstood and unjustly feared creatures have played in the development of human history. And with her book, Robbing the Bees, she succeeds in making the reader love bees, too. Take this nifty bit of information, one of countless fascinating factoids offered by Bishop in her celebration of all things bee-related: "Because of bees' starring role in the drama of pollination, we humans are indebted to them, directly and indirectly, for a third of our food supply. Visiting bees are required for the commercial production of more than a hundred of our most important crops including alfalfa, garlic, apples, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, citrus, melons, onion, almonds, turnips, parsley, sunflower, cranberries, and clover." Or how about this: "For the past decade, the American military has been testing [bees'] potential as special agents in the war on drugs and terrorism. Bees are as sensitive to odor as dogs and can be trained to buzz in on drugs, explosives, landmines, and chemical weapons." Beat that as a winning opening gambit at a cocktail party. And that ain't all. Bishop charts the evolution of honey and beeswax harvesting through the ages, gives us an up-close look inside working beehives from ancient Egypt to the present day, interviews beekeepers, quotes bee chroniclers past and present (from Charles Darwin to contemporary Florida beekeeper Donald Smiley), reveals her rather clumsy foray into beekeeping in candid detail, studies bees' impact on religion and history, and provides a selection of innovative recipes calling for honey. Through it all, Bishop never loses sight of the star if the show--the humble honey bee--or the crucial but largely unrewarded role they continue to play on our planet. And she does it with snappy prose and keen humor. Dogs be warned: if Bishop has her way, bees will be the it pet of the future, or at least less likely to die at the end of a folded newspaper next time one buzzes in through an open window. --Kim Hughes

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:02 -0400)

A comprehensive biography, history, celebration and love letter to bees and their magical produce. The author follows beekeeper Donald Smiley on his daily tasks then explores the lively science, culture and folklore that surround each step of the process and each stage of the lives of the bees and their honey.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,718,823 books! | Top bar: Always visible