Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

A Moveable Feast by Ernest Hemingway

A Moveable Feast

by Ernest Hemingway

7,060145797 (3.98)1 / 420

English (135)  Spanish (3)  Swedish (2)  Danish (2)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  Hebrew (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (146)
Hemingway's description of Scott Fitzgerald is my favorite paragraph in the book: "His talent was as natural as the pattern that was made by the dust on a butterfly's wings. At one time he understood it no more than the butterfly did and he did not know when it was brushed or marred. Later he became conscious of his damaged wings and of their construction and he learned to think and could not fly any more because the love of flight was gone and he could only remember when it had been effortless." ( )
  VicCavalli | Dec 8, 2018 |
Hemnigway's memoir about his early Paris days with his first wife -
"when we were very poor and very happy" - is unexpectedly joyful and touching. His descriptions of his famous friends - Gertrude Stein, Scott Fitzgerald, Ezra Pound - as well as his encounters with ordinary people, his loving accounts of the pleasures of eating well and working well are simple yet powerful. While his style retained its simple declarative sentences and emphasis on narrative, he stopped deliberately avoiding adjectives and descriptions - making it much more enjoyable to read than the "Sun Also Rises". The subject matter is also much happier - you wouldn't think this book is about the same time period.

I highly recommend to anyone who loves Hemingway and also to those who have read "The Paris Wife", which inspired me to read this book. ( )
  Gezemice | Oct 29, 2018 |
Literatura clásica de corte autobiográfico. Me entretuvo y me gustó, pero no la recordaré por nada especial. ( )
  LuisBermer | Sep 2, 2018 |
I recognize that Hemingway's memories of Paris are flawed and romanticized, but I still love this book, one of my go-to comfort reads. I never get tired of it. ( )
  GaylaBassham | May 27, 2018 |
Had read this before so listened to it this time. Unfortunately, there's a reason Hemingway is subject so often to parody. His intentional avoidance of all adjectives or variation in sentences makes him difficult to listen to as well as to read. Enjoyed his portraits of his peers, but would not have made it all the way thru had this not been for a book club. ( )
  abycats | May 11, 2018 |
Important note!: this review is of the edition that Hemingway's grandson revised because he didn't like the original's contents. Hotchner argues for ignoring this edition in favor of the original.

"The grandson has removed several sections of the book’s final chapter and replaced them with other writing of Hemingway’s that the grandson feels paints his grandma in a more sympathetic light. Ten other chapters that roused the grandson’s displeasure have been relegated to an appendix."

"All publishers, Scribner included, are guardians of the books that authors entrust to them. Someone who inherits an author’s copyright is not entitled to amend his work. There is always the possibility that the inheritor could write his own book offering his own corrections. Ernest was very protective of the words he wrote, words that gave the literary world a new style of writing. Surely he has the right to have these words protected against frivolous incursion, like this reworked volume that should be called “A Moveable Book.” I hope the Authors Guild is paying attention."

He is gentle, wistful, and almost nostalgic. One writer friend once described Hemingway to me as "that bully" and in many ways my friend was right. Hemingway had created his own public personae that included a brusque way of conducting himself; of a kind of machismo that would be called out for what it was these days; and an insensitivity to other people that bordered on the cruel. A lot of that 'Grace under pressure" is crap, and in his better moments, Heminway probably knew that. But the stories in A Moveable Feast belie all that. He remembers those days in Paris with a fondness and kindness that is remarkable, considering his usual public displays.

For that voice of a shattered Hemingway alone, the new edition of A Moveable Feast is worth taking note of. Otherwise, what I'm calling the "classic" edition is the more coherent narrative.

"Though this may seem at first blush a fragmentary book, it is not so. It should be read as a novel, belongs among the author's better works and is, as 'mere writing,' vintage Hemingway."
added by GYKM | editNew York Times, Lewis Galantiere (May 10, 1964)

Hemingway, Ernestprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fritz-Crone, PelleTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hemingway, MaryIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hemingway, PatrickForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hemingway, SeánEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schuck, MaryCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vandenbergh, JohnTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wildschut, MarjolijnAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
If you are lucky enough to have lived in Paris as a young man, then wherever you go for the rest of your life, it stays with you, for Paris is a moveable feast. --Ernest Hemingway to a friend, 1950
Then there was the bad weather.
When I saw my wife again standing by the tracks...I wished I had died before I ever loved anyone but her.
But this is how Paris was in the early days when we were very poor and very happy.
Work could cure almost anything, I believed then, and I believe now. Then all I had to be cured of, I decided Miss Stein felt, was youth and loving my wife.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 068482499X, Paperback)

In the preface to A Moveable Feast, Hemingway remarks casually that "if the reader prefers, this book may be regarded as fiction"--and, indeed, fact or fiction, it doesn't matter, for his slim memoir of Paris in the 1920s is as enchanting as anything made up and has become the stuff of legend. Paris in the '20s! Hemingway and his first wife, Hadley, lived happily on $5 a day and still had money for drinks at the Closerie des Lilas, skiing in the Alps, and fishing trips to Spain. On every corner and at every café table, there were the most extraordinary people living wonderful lives and telling fantastic stories. Gertrude Stein invited Hemingway to come every afternoon and sip "fragrant, colorless alcohols" and chat admid her great pictures. He taught Ezra Pound how to box, gossiped with James Joyce, caroused with the fatally insecure Scott Fitzgerald (the acid portraits of him and his wife, Zelda, are notorious). Meanwhile, Hemingway invented a new way of writing based on this simple premise: "All you have to do is write one true sentence. Write the truest sentence you know."

Hemingway beautifully captures the fragile magic of a special time and place, and he manages to be nostalgic without hitting any false notes of sentimentality. "This is how Paris was in the early days when we were very poor and very happy," he concludes. Originally published in 1964, three years after his suicide, A Moveable Feast was the first of his posthumous books and remains the best. --David Laskin

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:36 -0400)

Hemingway records his five years in Paris, describing his own creative struggles and providing portraits of such fellow expatriates as Fitzgerald, Pound, and Stein

Legacy Library: Ernest Hemingway

Ernest Hemingway has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Ernest Hemingway's legacy profile.

See Ernest Hemingway's author page.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,538,502 books! | Top bar: Always visible