A Moveable Feast by Ernest Hemingway

A Moveable Feast (edition 1996)

by Ernest Hemingway (Author)

7,769160823 (3.97)1 / 450
Published posthumously in 1964, A Moveable Feast remains one of Ernest Hemingway's most beloved works. It is his classic memoir of Paris in the 1920s, filled with irreverent portraits of other expatriate luminaries such as F. Scott Fitzgerald and Gertrude Stein; tender memories of his first wife, Hadley; and insightful recollections of his own early experiments with his craft. It is a literary feast, brilliantly evoking the exuberant mood of Paris after World War I and the youthful spirit, unbridled creativity, and unquenchable enthusiasm that Hemingway himself epitomized.… (more)
Member:neurowrite
Title:A Moveable Feast
Authors:Ernest Hemingway (Author)
Info:Scribner (1996), Edition: Reprint, 211 pages
Collections:Fiction/Literature

A Moveable Feast by Ernest Hemingway

English (147)  Spanish (4)  Swedish (2)  Danish (2)  Dutch (1)  Hebrew (1)  French (1)  Catalan (1)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (161)
Dedicating a chapter to discuss (at length) F Scott Fitzgerald's small penis must be the biggest dick move in literary history. I wonder in what way he must have had annoyed Hemingway to warrant this. Alternatively Hemingway must've become really petty at the end of his life. ( )
  TeaTimeCoder | Dec 23, 2020 |
I think I am not a big fan of the way Ernest Hemingway writes, but I do truly enjoy what he writes in this book. Fantastic stories about his time in Paris and about all those artists he meets there. Really highly recommend it. ( )
  gullevek | Dec 15, 2020 |
A memoir of Hemingway's time in Paris in the early 1920s, "A Moveable Feast" seemed right up my alley: I like Hemingway and I like France. However, the book didn't offer as much of either as I'd hoped. Hemingway spends most of his time listing the places he got drunk, patting himself on the back for being a writer, and name-dropping every famous person he ever knew. The chapters are a rundown of petty grudges mined 30 years later, each writer or artist described with a maximum of spite. Hemingway has no problem airing everyone else's dirty laundry (overheard fights between Gertrude Stein and her partner, Scott and Zelda Fitzgerald's marital problems, stating that one acquaintance had the "eyes of a failed rapist" despite this person's not factoring into the narrative at all), but reveals nothing about himself. He refers to his own infidelity and let's-say-poor-manners with such oblique language that it's hard to even tell what he thinks went on, and describes his first marriage like a fairy tale. I didn't believe it for a second. The book was enjoyable in its specific references to people and places in Paris, but all I learned from it was that Hemingway despised most people and couldn't let anything go, no matter how trivial. For a man so concerned with writing things that are "true," he couldn't bring himself to be vulnerable and honest when it counted. ( )
  greggmaxwellparker | Oct 14, 2020 |
I love this book. Spring rain always makes me want to reread it. Fall rain, too. Something about changes in weather makes me think of damp, crowded Paris. Oh, to be able to time travel! ( )
  beautifulshell | Aug 27, 2020 |
Hemingway wrote this short collection of vignettes during the very last years of his life. And because of that, they are the mature reflections of a great writer looking back at the beginning of his career as a young, married man living in Paris in the 1920s. What interests most people today are Hemingway’s memories of other authors he knew (and he knew them all), but in particular F. Scott Fitzgerald. Though Hemingway greatly admired Fitzgerald’s books, especially The Great Gatsby, his stories about the man and his insecurities are cringe-worthy. And though written many years later, he doesn’t have a bad word to say about Ezra Pound, despite the latter’s later support for Mussolini and Hitler. (Hemingway’s own anti-fascist credentials are, of course, rock-solid.). The book is also important for its description of how Hemingway wrote, especially his now famous injunction to writers to leave the last sentence of the day for the next day, so he would have somewhere to start and not a blank page. As Hemingway explained, every young person should spend some time in Paris — this one did — and his or her experience there, like this book, will stay with them their entire life. ( )
  ericlee | Aug 22, 2020 |
Important note!: this review is of the edition that Hemingway's grandson revised because he didn't like the original's contents. Hotchner argues for ignoring this edition in favor of the original.

"The grandson has removed several sections of the book’s final chapter and replaced them with other writing of Hemingway’s that the grandson feels paints his grandma in a more sympathetic light. Ten other chapters that roused the grandson’s displeasure have been relegated to an appendix."

"All publishers, Scribner included, are guardians of the books that authors entrust to them. Someone who inherits an author’s copyright is not entitled to amend his work. There is always the possibility that the inheritor could write his own book offering his own corrections. Ernest was very protective of the words he wrote, words that gave the literary world a new style of writing. Surely he has the right to have these words protected against frivolous incursion, like this reworked volume that should be called “A Moveable Book.” I hope the Authors Guild is paying attention."

He is gentle, wistful, and almost nostalgic. One writer friend once described Hemingway to me as "that bully" and in many ways my friend was right. Hemingway had created his own public personae that included a brusque way of conducting himself; of a kind of machismo that would be called out for what it was these days; and an insensitivity to other people that bordered on the cruel. A lot of that 'Grace under pressure" is crap, and in his better moments, Heminway probably knew that. But the stories in A Moveable Feast belie all that. He remembers those days in Paris with a fondness and kindness that is remarkable, considering his usual public displays.

For that voice of a shattered Hemingway alone, the new edition of A Moveable Feast is worth taking note of. Otherwise, what I'm calling the "classic" edition is the more coherent narrative.

"Though this may seem at first blush a fragmentary book, it is not so. It should be read as a novel, belongs among the author's better works and is, as 'mere writing,' vintage Hemingway."
added by GYKM | editNew York Times, Lewis Galantiere (May 10, 1964)

Ernest Hemingwayprimary authorall editionscalculated
Fritz-Crone, PelleTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hemingway, MaryIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hemingway, PatrickForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hemingway, SeánEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schuck, MaryCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vandenbergh, JohnTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wildschut, MarjolijnAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
If you are lucky enough to have lived in Paris as a young man, then wherever you go for the rest of your life, it stays with you, for Paris is a moveable feast. --Ernest Hemingway to a friend, 1950
Then there was the bad weather.
When I saw my wife again standing by the tracks...I wished I had died before I ever loved anyone but her.
But this is how Paris was in the early days when we were very poor and very happy.
Work could cure almost anything, I believed then, and I believe now. Then all I had to be cured of, I decided Miss Stein felt, was youth and loving my wife.

Legacy Library: Ernest Hemingway

Ernest Hemingway has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Ernest Hemingway's legacy profile.

See Ernest Hemingway's author page.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,806,845 books! | Top bar: Always visible