I, Partridge: We Need To Talk About Alan by…

I, Partridge: We Need To Talk About Alan

by Steve Coogan, Neil Gibbons (Author), Rob Gibbons (Author), Armando Iannucci (Author)

Alan Partridge is so familiar to those of us who enjoy this comedy it is difficult to imagine how you would react to this fictional autobiography if you had never seen or heard anything by Alan Partridge. On every page you can hear Alan speaking and many of the jokes and scenarios are familiar. There are plenty of laugh out loud moments and the comedy asides are relentless, including footnotes on every page. My only quibble is that the playlist would have been better as footnotes as I couldn't always be bothered to turn to the back to see what I should be listening to but then maybe that annoyance was part of the joke. ( )
1 vote Tifi | Apr 17, 2018 |
What can we say about Alan Partridge that hasn't already been said? True, most of it has been said by Partridge himself, but that's by the by. Bestriding the nineties and noughties like a broadcasting behemoth, he has carved what can only be called a career through both Radio and Television, bringing his own special magic to both mediums.

In this book of words and pictures he tells his life story, from his birth to his current berth (see what I did there?) at North Norfolk Digital (Norfolk's Best Music Mix). His start at the Our Price instore radio (short-lived), Radio Norwich, his move to the BBC with On The Hour and on to his own chat show, Knowing Me Knowing You (aha!).

Of course there are lows as well as highs. The unfortunate death by shooting of guest Forbes McCallister. The run-ins with BBC Commissioning Editor Tony Hayes and the subsequent Christmas Special fiasco and failure to secure a second series. Then there is his battle with a debilitating Toblerone addiction.

But above all Alan is a fighter and has an unshakeable belief in his own genius. Modesty is not a word in his vocabulary. One thing is certain, there's only one Alan Partridge.

But seriously folks, this is a brilliantly written, extremely funny book. You can almost hear Partridge's voice in your head. Highly recommended. ( )
1 vote David.Manns | Nov 28, 2016 |
Great fun, great comedy, & great chat from one of the greatest comedy alter egos here is. Some might not find the at times, crass, humour, that amusing but there are more than enough, laugh out loud moments to make up for any faux pas. Very funny, insightful & for those that care, at times, slightly moving. Bravo! Don't stop now Alan..... ( )
  aadyer | Apr 18, 2014 |
When I joined the BBC in the heady days of the early 2000s, Alan Partridge was still a legendary figure – pacing the corridors of Television Centre in immaculate flannel slacks, and spoken of in the same breath as the other master-interviewers of the modern era: Parkinson, Ross, Christian, Madeley. In many ways, he even influenced the great American talk-programme hosts like Letterman or Leno. Not in a literal sense, obviously, but perhaps in some other sense.

I only met the great man once, when I was just a cub reporter, wet behind the ears, and he was gracious enough to try and pass on some of his knowledge. ‘Let me give you a bit of advice,’ he said. ‘If your heart's set on going in there, for goodness sake avoid the second stall on the left – it quite literally looks like a war zone in there. It wasn't me; I only came in for some basic urination. I take care of everything else back home, thanks to a first-class Hinch VX50 chemical toilet, which genuinely would have made light work of that lot. Apart from that time I had some bad ham, it's handled everything I can throw at it so far. I certainly wouldn't expect work facilities to be up to the job. I mean I'm not a monster. I'm Alan Partridge.’ And then he was gone, like some apparition in a double-breasted blazer.

Over the years his star has waned a little. He left the BBC under something of a cloud (note – I'm not talking about personal hygiene, those rumours were put to bed a long time ago), but now, finally, Alan has a chance to give his own side of the story and set the ruddy record straight. It's all here, from the highs of hospital radio (‘In my time at the hospital, I was broadcasting live during the deaths of some 800 patients. It's a record that stands to this day’) to the lows of Toblerone addiction, which saw him gain an alarming amount of weight (‘Like a good-looking John Merrick, mine was a face that looked really shit’). It's also rewarding for the fans to find out previously unknown details, such as the fact that his deal to return to radio was signed in the Symphony Café, Norwich (‘now, at long last, a Nando's’), or to gain a greater appreciation for Alan's love of the Highway Code (‘people forget that it doesn't just save lives, it's also a damn good read’).

Those of us who love him will be hoping he'll be back in our living-rooms soon. (Not in person – that would be time-consuming and borderline inappropriate – but through the medium of televisual broadcasting.) Until then, we'll keep tuning in to hear his ‘award-worthy’ mid-morning broadcasts covering the whole length and breadth of the North Norfolk area.

Essential reading for anyone who wants to discover the Alan behind the Alan, this handsome volume is taking its place on my shelf nestled proudly between Nelson Mandela's A Long Walk to Freedom and Saint Augustine's Confessions. It really is classic autobiography. ( )
5 vote Widsith | May 27, 2013 |
This book was absolutely brilliant, hilarious from start to finish and a must have for any Partridge fan. I think I found it particularly funny as it was set in and around Norwich where I live, with one particular bit set in my village. Documenting Alan's life, from his childhood to television it really contains some laugh out loud moments. ( )
  Elliots89 | Jan 14, 2013 |

Steve Cooganprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gibbons, NeilAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Gibbons, RobAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Iannucci, ArmandoAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
When I was eight years old, I suffered a nosebleed so profuse and generous, I bolted from the schoolyard and sought solace in the first class countryside of Norfolk.

Journalist, presenter, broadcaster, husband, father, vigorous all-rounder -- Alan Partridge -- a man with a fascinating past and an amazing future. Gregarious and popular, yet Alan's never happier than when relaxing in his own five-bedroom, south-built house with three acres of land and access to a private stream. But who is this mysterious enigma? Alan Gordon Partridge is the best -- and best-loved -- radio presenter in the region. Born into a changing world of rationing, Teddy Boys, apes in space and the launch of ITV, Alan's broadcasting career began as chief DJ of Radio Smile at St. Luke's Hospital in Norwich. After replacing Peter Flint as the presenter of Scout About, he entered the top 8 of BBC sports presenters. But Alan's big break came with his primetime BBC chat show Knowing Me, Knowing You. Sadly, the show battled against poor scheduling, having been put up against News at Ten, then in its heyday. Due to declining ratings, a single catastrophic hitch (the killing of a guest on air) and the dumbing down of network TV, Alan's show was cancelled. Not to be dissuaded, he embraced this opportunity to wind up his production company, leave London and fulfil a lifelong ambition to return to his roots in local radio. Now single, Alan is an intensely private man but he opens up, for the second time, in this candid, entertaining, often deeply emotional -- and of course compelling -- memoir, written entirely in his own words. (Alan quickly dispelled the idea of using a ghost writer. With a grade B English Language O-Level, he knew he was up to the task.) He speaks touchingly about his tragic Toblerone addiction, and the painful moment when unsold copies of his first autobiography, Bouncing Back, were pulped like 'word porridge'. He reveals all about his relationship with his ex-Ukrainian girlfriend, Sonja, with whom he had sex at least twice a day, and the truth about the thick people who make key decisions at the BBC. A literary tour de force, I, Partridge: We Need to Talk About Alan charts the incredible journey of one of our greatest broadcasters.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:35 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,296,178 books! | Top bar: Always visible