Fate Fixed: An Erris Coven Novel by Bonnie…

Fate Fixed: An Erris Coven Novel

by Bonnie Erina Wheeler

The idea behind the storyline was good. The editing and the inconsistencies drove me crazy. 2 stars...it was "ok". ( )
  Raeadav | Mar 25, 2016 |
I received this book to review from the R2R event organized by Kayleigh on the Paranormal and Urban Fantasy Club. It was a quick light read with a nice twist at the end (that I should say I didn't see coming). But, it was too much Twilight, and that kind of buried it for me from the beginning.

It was obvious that the author put some time writing and editing this novel, but it still needs to be improved. The writing was immature with lots of unnecessary repetitions of proper nouns and expressions. There were a ton of grammar mistakes that I won't be pointing out. At some places the tenses were mixed up incorrectly - past when it should've been present and vice versa.

There were also a couple of inconsistencies with the story. I was annoyed by the simple sentence constructions, which felt like a plague for this book. It could've been written in a much much better way, with intricate constructions of the descriptions and narration. As it were, most paragraphs felt like I was reading the script of an Animal Planet film, aka in a monotonous boring drone.

The literary side of the writing was missing, which was a huge minus to me. I can't say I didn't enjoy it, I did, but it had nothing to do with my feelings toward a brilliant book that would stir the very cells of my body. This one just read to pass time. In other words - nothing special about it.

I did get annoyed by the quick development of Lexie and Torin's romantic relationship. Firstly, the characters themselves felt shallow and underdeveloped, and secondly - they were kissing just after exchanging a couple of words. If that's not rushed, I don't know what is. Perhaps the fact that they didn't know each other almost at all before they were bonded? Even if the two were fated to be together, this relationship should've been given the time to develop before either of them could trust the other fully. I do believe in love at first sight, but this wasn't it. This was a foolish way to put the characters together.

I can't say that Torin was swoon worthy, because I didn't get to know him well enough to make such a conclusion. Nor can I point out Lexie as a fighter, because she didn't really hold her ground.

With all that said, I think that the story has potential to become much better if the author decided to put some time revising. ( )
  VanyaDrum | Jan 26, 2014 |
Giveaway at my blog for book 2, Blood Twist, link at bottom.

I truly loved this book; it's a great start to what I can see as a great series. I was hooked from about page 10, well not sure, but something like that. It's full of mystery and it was about halfway or more that I finally found out what Torin is, it had me fascinated. It's not what you think, you go into this now knowing for sure, as its not a story like any other.

I won't spoil it for you, as I had no idea what supernaturals we were dealing with, and as soon as I thought I knew, I was proven wrong. The love story is very sweet too. I really liked that part as well. It's not the traditional love at first sight kind of thing. Torin and Lexie dreamed of each other months before they even met, so it's like they fell in love before they meet.

I don`t want to say much more, but will say this, it's got some hot guys too for those who really like that, and personalities too, its all there.

I was intrigued and enthralled all at the same time.
Go get this book, you won't be sorry, if you like the paranormal books like me, you will love this. I am so glad I have book 2 Blood Twist already, so I can read right away.

5 out of 5 stars for me. The writing was top notch, and had an easy time flowing through this book.

I was provided a copy of this book from the author for my honest review for the book tour.
http://concisebookreviewsbymichelle.blogspot.com/ ( )
  ConciseReviews | Jan 1, 2013 |
Reviewed by Robin
Review copy provided by Bonnie Wheeler
If I were a teenage girl I would definitely want to move to Erris. I know that you have to get the background information down but this left me wanting more. You just get started on a romance between Lexie and Torrin then bam the story is over.

Lexie moves to a small town at the request of her mother’s new husband. Off they go to live in a small town in the middle of nowhere.

Lexie has been having dreams for the last year about this hunk. He consumes her with a longing she doesn’t quite understand. She enjoys going to sleep because then she has the opportunity to dream about her fantasy love.

But when she goes to a party with some of the local kids she meets at a diner, her dream guy is there face to face with her. The instant attention is strong. They leave to get to know one another only to have it end with the arrival of her step brother.

Torn she feels she needs to go home with her brothers.

Along the way her mom and sister seem to have adapted or have they? She finds her mother crying at times but is brushed off when she asks what is wrong.

Unable to contact her best friend Liz, she loses her cell phone privileges among other things, so much happens and Lexie just needs a friend and really wants to move back to her old life. Lexie soon learns that she needs to trust her instincts. Trusting her instincts will help her find out who she can trust, at first she feels a connection with the middle brother but, will soon learn that nothing seems as it appears and her world will be ripped apart.

You see her new family isn’t what they appear to be. And her hunky dream date is something different also.

She soon learns after the town experiences some brutal killings, first with animals and then with townspeople.

With the help of Torrin’s parents she learns the story behind how they came into existence. This helps her to understand that Torrin isn’t a monster. But, deep down I think she knew it all along.

As Lexie discovers the truth as to what Torrin is and her brothers she has decisions to make. Will she end up making the right ones? She needs to be strong in order to survive what is ahead for her.

Ms. Wheeler takes us into the ongoing battle between werewolves and vampires. She leaves us wanting more. This is a nice first book and I look forward to reading the rest of the series to see what happens to the rest of the characters. ( )
  RtB | Jan 21, 2012 |
Fate Fixed wraps a Mystery/Thriller into a Paranormal Romance. It chapters alternates between one of three characters; telling the story from their perspective. Lexie is trying to come to terms with the accidental death of her father, as well as, accept her new life that includes several new obnoxious step brothers. As if the these drastic changes weren't enougher new framily is about to wisked away for a fresh start in a new town. I was surprised by this story, and it's almost horror genre comparisons. Lexie's story is a terrifying, yet sweet all wrapped up in one book. First off the brothers are very unsettling, but it is easy to see where Lexie accepts Alik so effortlessly. He seems to be her peace in all the chaos, and I think this bond is helping her accept all of this changes. Torin and his family are a mystery most of this book. While he has a common presence in the book he talks in code, and the true nature of his being is not revealed for most of the book. I love his family! While I had a little trouble accepting the depth and sincerity of Lexie and Torin's connection; you can tell that this is a devoted family and the bonds run deep. The desire to protect Lexie is a common trait for all of the cousins, and her acceptance is obvious througtout the pages. The overall pace of Fate Fixed was a little to be desired. I liked the storyline, I liked the mixture of Mystery/Thriller vs. Romance, I liked the conclusion, but throughout all of these like I still felt like something is missing from the story. I believe that thing missing the the captivating romance that almost makes you feel as though you are living it. This story has all of the potential, but it just didn't quite make it there for me.

BookWhisperer | Dec 25, 2011 |
“None of us decide what we will be born into in this life, but we face our destinies with what we have been given.”
― Bonnie Erina Wheeler, Fate Fixed

When Lexie Anderson’s mother suddenly announces she is marrying a Romanian immigrant, Lexie willingly leaves behind her busy life in Connecticut for her penance in “The Moose Capital of the World.” Small town living is strange enough, now Lexie must cope with her overbearing stepfamily monitoring her every move. They disappear into the woods at night and keep a strange secret locked in their shed. Her once calm mother is now having violent outbursts and Lexie’s little sister is hearing sinister sounds coming from the forest behind their new home. Lexie’s biggest surprise comes when she discovers the boy she has been dreaming about since her accident is living in Maine. Despite Torin’s questionable reputation, Lexie cannot resist the physical and emotional attraction pulsating between them. Animals and people in town are turning up dead and Lexie learns the strange new world she lives in has real life monsters. Just when she decides she wants to be with Torin forever, she must fight to protect her mother and sister from being harmed by a formidable evil.

Fate Fixed is a young adult paranormal romance/ suspense novel. When Lexie's mother announces she is marrying a Romanian immigrant, Lexie leaves behind her life in Connecticut for her penance in "The Moose Capital of the World." Small town living is strange enough, now Lexie must cope with her overbearing stepfamily monitoring her every move. They disappear into the woods and keep a secret locked in their shed. Her calm mother is now having violent outbursts and Lexie's sister is hearing sinister sounds coming from the forest behind their home. She soon discovers the boy she has been dreaming about is living in Maine. Despite Torin's reputations, Lexie cannot resist the attraction pulsating between them. Animals and people are turning up dead and Lexie learns the strange, new world she lives in has real-life monsters. When she decides she wants to be with Torin forever, she must fight to protect her family from a formidable evil.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,658,081 books! | Top bar: Always visible