Candles Burning by Tabitha King

Candles Burning

by Tabitha King, Michael McDowell

English (5)  Spanish (1)  All (6)
I loved this book. As much as I wanted to figure out what the hell was going on, I didn't mind waiting to find out. The pace of the novel is very slow, but it was a pleasure to meander through. A modern southern gothic novel that will mesmerize you.

However, I wasn't so crazy about the ending. You spend all this time getting to know all the characters and getting involved in the weaving of the story and then....the bombs drop and the novel is done. A great read though! ( )
  bookwormteri | Apr 28, 2010 |
I really, really wanted to like this book, but in the end, I found it to be a bit of bore. I slogged through the whole thing and then wondered why I had persevered. ( )
  Vidalia | Sep 14, 2008 |
A disappointing read. ( )
  sogamonk | Apr 6, 2008 |
The story begins in 1958, when Calliope “Calley” Dakin’s father is brutally murdered in New Orleans. Everybody in the small town of Tallasee, Alabama suspects her mother, Roberta Ann Caroll Dakin of killing him for his money, including her mother. It seems that everybody was after her father’s fortune and out to control Calley, who can talk to the dead. I enjoyed reading about the characters in Candles Burning. By the time I reached the 400th page, I was anxious to find out what happened to her father and why Calley’’s great aunts were going to such elaborate lengths to her and her brother, Ford, on a tight leash. I eventually did and enjoyed the black humor at the end. Candles Burning started out as Michael McDowell’s book in the beginning. But when he passed away, Tabitha King decided to complete it. She states in the very beginning that he would have ended it differently. I’m not familiar with either author, but I am familiar with the Kings’ political beliefs. Tabby’s liberal slant rang loud and clear as she wrote about Calley’’s revenge. But for the time period that ended the book (Vietnam), it fit. Recommended. ( )
  DeborahWoehr | Aug 5, 2007 |
Maybe it's just me but I could not get into this. i read almost half of it and just had to stop?! ( )
  maryintexas39 | Jul 10, 2007 |

King, Tabithaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McDowell, Michaelmain authorall editionsconfirmed
For Michael
My father died unpleasantly.
Candles Burning was Michael McDowell's last novel, left unfinished after his death. His friend, Tabitha King, completed the book and had it published.

An extraordinary southern saga begun by Michael McDowell and finished after his death by Tabitha King.

Known for his chilling Blackwater series, author Michael McDowell left behind the unfinished manuscript for Candles Burning upon his death in 1999. In the spirit of the ghost stories that Michael loved, Tabitha King has taken up where he left off, weaving a Southern gothic fabric of murder, guilt, innocence, corruption, and survival, in the voices of the living and the dead.

Calliope "Calley" Dakin is just seven when her beloved father is tortured, murdered, and dismembered by two women with no discernible motivation. In the aftermath, Calley and her mother find themselves caught up in inexplicable events that exile them to Pensacola Beach, where-in a house that's a dead ringer for Calley's late great-grandmother's house-a woman awaits their presence. For Calley is no normal little girl.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:20 -0400)

In the wake of her father's torture, murder, and dismemberment, Calliope "Calley" Dakin and her mother flee to Pensacola Beach where a woman waits for Calley, who is no ordinary little girl.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,992,469 books! | Top bar: Always visible