Wounded In Darkness, Healed In the Light by…

Wounded In Darkness, Healed In the Light

by LaTonya G. Green

113,689,591 (4)None
Recently added byOOSABookClub

No tags.

What Comes Out of Darkness is Always Bright

Josette was born to an abusive teenaged mother in Michigan. Ashy, kinky hair, she was bullied at
school because she did not fit in. Trauma and the hidden scars show up early in her young life. She learns to lie, steal and fight her way out of self-destruction.

Latoya G. Green takes us on a journey of "Wounded in Darkness Healed in the Light." She gives readers a glimpse inside the life of Josette and her immediate family. This story could be anyone's true story and when I closed my eyes I often saw myself. I related a lot with this story because I grew up with my nana in the projects of Brooklyn and was determined to find a way out by any means necessary. I rooted for Josette and her family to succeed.

Latoya G. Green did an excellent job of allowing us to feel the mean streets of Michigan. The book was a page-turner and a reflection of life for an African-American girl growing up in a society deemed second class citizenship as a woman. Having survived physical and mental brutality at the hands of people who claimed they loved her and maimed from society because of the nappiness of her hair she fought for life more abundantly. Being ‘healed in the light’ and ‘wounded in darkness’ refers to me of a religion or spirituality interference. I would have found this life telling journal more believable if God had not been introduced to Josette at a later stage in her life.

This book would be great gift for a teenage young lady as it shows an African American woman healing and coming into the realization she is not alone. We all share a common bond while growing up black!

Reviewed by: Marilyn ( )
  OOSABookClub | Oct 2, 2011 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,514,594 books! | Top bar: Always visible