Jennifer Government by Max Barry

Jennifer Government (edition 2004)

by Max Barry

In Barry's twisted, hilarious vision of the near future, the world is run by giant American corporations and employees take the last name of the companies they work for. Hot on the trail of John Nike, an executive from the land of Marketing, is agent Jennifer Government, the consumer watchdog from hell. Taxation has been abolished, the government has been privatized, and employees take the surname of the company they work for. It's a brave new corporate world, but you don't want to be caught without a platinum credit card--as lowly Merchandising Officer Hack Nike is about to find out. Trapped into building street cred for a new line of $2500 sneakers by shooting customers, Hack attracts the barcode-tattooed eye of the legendary Jennifer Government. A stressed-out single mom, corporate watchdog, and government agent who has to rustle up funding before she's allowed to fight crime, Jennifer Government is holding a closing down sale--and everything must go. A wickedly satirical and outrageous thriller about globalization and marketing hype, Jennifer Government is the best novel in the world ever. In a corporate-governed future world where people take the last names of the companies they work for, merchandising officer Hack Nike tries to get out of a contract that requires him to shoot teenagers, a situation that results in his unwitting involvement with an agent who is out to get Hack's employer.… (more)
Member:mfagan
Title:Jennifer Government
Authors:Max Barry
Info:Vintage (2004), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 321 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

Jennifer Government by Max Barry

The Space Merchants by Frederik Pohl (prezzey)
    prezzey: Two satirical takes on capitalism and consumerism in the future, a classic and a more recent work.
    Little Brother by Cory Doctorow (psybre)
    Spook Country by William Gibson (mcuquet)
    Zodiac by Neal Stephenson (5hrdrive)
    Pattern Recognition by William Gibson (mcuquet)
    Zero History by William Gibson (mcuquet)
    Halting State by Charles Stross (ljbwell)
    ljbwell: Both give a humorous-with-a-bite view of the future of global politics & economics with a techie bent.
    A Planet for the President: A Novel by Alistair Beaton (Vonini)
    Vonini: Same kind of satire and atmosphere. Also a fun and light read.
    Incompetence by Rob Grant (verenka)

English (91)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (93)
Funny satire on consumerism and also a competent murder mysetery ( )
  Faintdreams | Nov 25, 2019 |
When I first read this 11 years ago, I was using a book app that suddenly disappeared, along with most of my data. I remembered really liking it; but, anymore, that makes me apprehensive about rereading [my tastes have changed, understandably, through the years]. Luckily, I really liked it this time, too! This particular dystopia isn't triggering me as much as many of my old faves do now that we're living them. Whew—dodged a bullet there! ( )
  joyblue | May 21, 2019 |
I played around with the NationStates game for years during high school and off and on in college, I was a pretty poor politician, and my state would expire from non-activity within a few months every time. But it was fun!

The book Jennifer Government was advertised with the game, it being 'loosely' based on the novel and from the same creator. It wasn't until around 2008 that I actually saw a copy in a library and decided to read it.

It's a fast-paced thriller and the whole conception of government and human rights marginalized by capitalism is remarkable. It's by no means a manifesto or call-to-arms, but it makes for a great read. ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
This is a world where there are no more taxes and the government has been privatized. The employees take the name of the company they work for (for example - Hayley McDonalds and John Nike) and when they change jobs, their last names change as well. Jennifer Government, well, works for the government. Jennifer is a single mom and a government agent who has to get funding before she can fight crime (if you want your lost loved one found, or a crime solved, you have to pay the government to do it) In this world, the US controls not only the western hemisphere, but also Australia, England and Japan. The plot goes from Australia to London to US and back again trying to chase a cyberterrorist and people who are manipulating the stock market. The book represents capitalism at its worst, and how strange the world really could be.

The book was an easy read. I found it entertaining and the names of the people in the book were humorous. There was a little love story, and chasing bad guys, and in the end there was justice. There were mixed reviews about it on Amazon, and I can see the points those folks make. It moves pretty quickly, and there isn't much time for deep character development, which can leave you confused. But mostly it was entertaining, so I say give it a try. ( )
  JenMat | Jan 10, 2019 |
Corporate distopia! ( )
  akaGingerK | Sep 30, 2018 |
a funny and clever novel by Max Barry that's set in the ''near future.''
added by mikeg2 | editNew York Times, Rob Walker (Feb 16, 2003)

Max Barryprimary authorall editionscalculated
Schünemann, AnjaÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
With money we will get men, Caesar said, and with men we will get money.
Thomas Jefferson, 1784
... a wise and frugal government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, which shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government.
Thomas Jefferson, 1801
For Charles Thiesen
Who really, really wanted me to call it "Capitalizm"
Hack first heard about Jennifer Government at the watercooler.
Yes, some people died. But let's not pretend these are the first people to die in the interest of commerce. Let's not pretend there's a company in this room that hasn't put profit above human life at some point. We make cars we know some people will die in. We make medicine that carries a chance of a fatal reaction. We make guns. I mean, you want to expel someone here for murder, let's start with the Philip Morris Liaison. We have all, at some point, put a price tag on a human life and decided we can afford it.
Look, I am not designing next year's ad campaign here, I'm getting rid of the Government, the greatest impediment to business in history. You don't do that without a downside. Yes, some people die. But look at the gain! Run a cost-benefit analysis! Maybe some of you have forgotten what companies really do. So let me remind you: they make as much money as possible. If they don't, investors go elsewhere. It's that simple. We're all cogs in wealth-creation machines. That's all.
I've given you a world without Government interference. There is now no advertising campaign, no intercompany deal, no promotion, no action you can't take. You want to pay kids to get the swoosh tattooed on their foreheads? Whose going to stop you?....You want the NRA to help you eliminate your competition? Then do it. Just do it.
Also called Logoland in some countries.

We're pawns; branding and
money-making reign supreme.
The future? Or now?
(ed.pendragon)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 140,146,920 books! | Top bar: Always visible