Another Roadside Attraction by Tom Robbins

Another Roadside Attraction (edition 1990)

by Tom Robbins

Member:Skaidon
Title:Another Roadside Attraction
Authors:Tom Robbins
Info:Bantam (1990), Edition: Reissue, Paperback

Another Roadside Attraction by Tom Robbins

Brown mel se svou Sifrou problem s krestanskymi "fanatiky"; tuhle blaznivinu, ktera vysvetli, kde skoncil Jezis, tu nikdo zakazovat nechtel?:-D ( )
  mountbatten | Oct 26, 2017 |
A reread in preparation for my pnw trip ( )
  Abbey_Harlow | Oct 5, 2017 |
This is the third book I've read recently that is an experimental search for a philosophy to live by and it is by far the best. Tom Robbins is a master at weaving interesting characters and places into a narrative that is both literary and scatalogical. This, I believe, was his first work and I think it will stand as a monument to him.

The story revolves around the Captain Kendrick's Memorial Hot Dog Wildlife Preserve run by John Paul and Amanda Ziller. Amanda is a vegetarian and butterfly fancier. John Paul is a sculptor, musician and magician. Also living at the preserve is Amanda's son, Thor, Mon Cul, a baboon, and Marx Marvelous, a scientist who has recently dropped out of a prestigious think tank. Their friend, Plucky Purcell, stumbled upon a sect of murderous monks and infiltrates them. While in Rome to teach karate to the Pope's Swiss Guard, he is able to enter the catacombs under the Vatican after an earthquake. He helps himself to some gold and then discovers a well-preserved mummy which he believes to be Jesus Christ. If he's right, then Christ never rose from the grave and all of Christianity is a lie. He manages to get "The Corpse" back to the preserve but then they can't agree what to do with it. Vatican officials and FBI agents are closing in. The ending is as offbeat as the rest of the book.

This book should make you think about organized religion and, if you are a Christian, make you question your upbringing but it doesn't deny god. Even if you don't like the message I think the quirky characters, the oddball stories and the description of the Washington flora and fauna are worth the ride. ( )
1 vote gypsysmom | Aug 25, 2017 |
A reread in preparation for my pnw trip ( )
  abbeyhar | Nov 8, 2016 |
Read this three times. On of the most fun books I've read. A fantasy of the second coming. ( )
1 vote Joelwb | Oct 16, 2016 |
The magician's underwear has just been found in a cardboard suitcase floating in a stagnant pond on the outskirts of Miami.

What if the Second Coming didn't quite come off as advertised? What if "the Corpse" on display in that funky roadside zoo is really who they say it is - what does that portend for the future of western civilisation? And what if a young clairvoyant named Amanda re-establishes the flea circus as popular entertainment and fertility worship as the principal religious form of our high-tech age? Another Roadside Attraction answers those questions and more. It tells us what the '60s were really all about, not by reporting the psychedelic age, but by recreating it.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553349481, Paperback)

It's clear that when Robbins sits down to write, he has one thing on his mind: having himself some fun. I read Another Roadside Attraction, years ago, then immediately went back to the beginning of the book and read it again. Robbins holds nothing back in this, his first novel. It's a perfect introduction to the Robbins oeuvre of oddness.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:01 -0400)

Counter What if the Second Coming didn't quite come off as advertised? What if "the Corpse" on display in that funky roadside zoo is really who they say it is--what does that portent for the future of western civilization? And what if a young clairvoyant named Amanda reestablishes the flea circus as popular entertainment and fertility worship as the principal religious form of our high-tech age? Another Roadside Attraction answers those questions and a lot more. It tells us, for example, what the sixties were truly all about, not by reporting on the psychedelic decade but by recreating it, from the inside out. In the process, this stunningly original seriocomic thriller eating a literary hot dog and eroding the borders of the mind.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,803,194 books! | Top bar: Always visible