The Art of R Programming: A Tour of…

The Art of R Programming: A Tour of Statistical Software Design

by Norman Matloff

This book IMHO is an excellent starting point for learning R. I'm finding it really useful for beginners like me to learn this new programming language. The book is comprehensive and well-illustrated.

The initial chapters talk about the foundation concepts like vectors and matrices. The examples are simple enough to start with, while the author leaves some room for self-experimentation. The latter chapters describe the advanced capabilities like graphics, debugging and performance tuning.

Needless to say, I'll require a lot of practice to get comfortable thinking in R terms, but this book definitely laid the stepping stone for me. ( )
  nmarun | Sep 2, 2017 |
Great book for thinking in R. I'm not sure I would recommend it as your first source of information on how to use R unless you have a solid background in programming and statistics already. Definitely get your hands on this book once you've gotten a start and need to use R in a way that exploits its advantages and idiosyncrasies. ( )
  jbenson3 | Jun 24, 2016 |
Outstanding introductory programming book for R programming. Covers a vast range of topics in sufficient depth for a beginner to get off the ground. ( )
  nvenkataraman1 | Aug 31, 2015 |
Good book for learning the basics of R. Look elsewhere for how to do advanced R functionality. ( )
  jefware | Mar 31, 2014 |
R is a scripting language for statistical data manipulation and analysis.

A guide to software development using the R programming language covers such topics as closures, recursion, anonymous functions, and debugging techniques.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,545,324 books! | Top bar: Always visible