My Fierce Highlander by Vonda Sinclair

My Fierce Highlander

by Vonda Sinclair

Good story about a widow with a son who falls in love with a Highlander. Entertaining. ( )
  afarrington | Mar 9, 2017 |
Ayy I finished it! Objectified Scotsman galore!

I liked the characters. There was actually like, a semblance of a plot, which I enjoyed as well. There was a lot less eye-rolling but still a fair chunk of some traditional gender roles to get me to roll my eyes.

I think my biggest problem was that it had a very thin backstory. If I start to pick apart the story, I'll never stop, though. That's not why I read these books. I just read them so they can help me go to sleep at night.

Unlike most novels of this ilk, though, I didn't skip chapters. Sometimes I skip entire parts because I know what happens and just don't want to invest in the story, but I read the whole thing cover to cover.

It helped me feel less stressed while at uni, and took my mind off all my work, so, thank you Ms. Sinclair for making sleep come easier. c: ( )
  lydia1879 | Aug 31, 2016 |
I loved this romantic, highland, love story. In the beginning we have Gwyneth, a widow with a young son, she rescues a wounded man, who turns out to be Laird Alasdair MacGrath, the leader of her neighbouring clan. Alasdair returns home but when Gwyneth's betrayal to her clan is discovered she has to flee her home and find help for herself and her son from the MacGrath's. When Gwyneth and Alasdair reconnect, Alasdair can't deny the feelings he has for her, he'd lost his wife many years ago and he can't fight the attraction he feels for Gwyneth anymore. Gwyneth on the other hand doesn't know what to do, she wants the best for her son.
And when Rory's biological father shows up, the story becomes even more interesting, and the happy family life between Gwyneth, Alasdair and Rory is threatened.

I'm in love with Alasdair, I can picture him in my minds eye. And Gwyneth is a lucky woman, what more can I say. I think I have a serious problem! A great story. 5/5. ( )
  JulieD2 | Jul 27, 2015 |
Review by: Robin

WOW!!!! Vonda takes you on a trip to the Highlands of Scotland. Where we meet two wounded souls, one hurt in a physical battle and the other by mental and physical abuse. They find that they can heal each other, finding love and peace along the way.

My love for Highlanders came at an early age I think that maybe in an earlier life I lived there. I also think it may be my strong Irish ties. Whatever it is I fell in love instantly with Alasdair MacGrath wanting to be the one that finds him on the battlefield and heals his broken body. Fragile Lady Gwyneth Carswell, was used as a pawn by men, until she meets the devastatingly handsome MacGrath.

We find that Gwyneth is banished to the highlands for some reason by her father. Given to distant cousins she is forced into a loveless marriage. She finds herself caught up in the violence of two clans. One is her distant relatives; the other is that of the MacGraths. She is living with Mora, who has taught her the art of healing.

After a fierce battle she hears moaning. Investigating brings Alasdair into her life. She finds that all he wants is peace and that he just may be someone that she can trust. But trusting men comes hard for Gwyneth.

As, the story unfolds we find Mora (who has taught Gwyneth the ways of a healer) killed and Gwyneth and her young son Rory running for their lives and right into the hands or onto the land of the MacGraths. He offers them a safe haven.

As they get to know one another the feelings that were underlying come to the surface. But they have a rough road ahead.

Gwyneth not wanting to cause problems decides to sleep with the servants only to find that her life is in danger as she is stabbed the first night in the MacGrath castle. She is then moved to a better room and Alasdair offers her some of his late wife’s clothing. She becomes in charge of the household.

Stolen kisses and a rather heated afternoon delight leaves you wanting more. More is exactly what you get. Gwyneth wants Alasdair but doesn’t feel that what they have is real. It is just words of a man to get her to do as he wants.

The past comes back and takes them on a journey in search of her kidnapped son and brings them closer together but still at an arm’s reach. Leaving you to wonder what was going to happen next for the lovers.

Over the course of time we find that Alasdair and Gwyneth find that they have more than just a physical relationship (which by the way tends to be rather hot!). Romance so heartwarming and classy, it leaves you wanting more.

From the Scottish burr, the highlands of Scotland, Ms. Sinclair pulls us in and leaves us wanting more. At times I could hear the distant sounds of bagpipes and see the heather dusting the fields of the highlands. I wasn’t able to put this down and read it from start to finish. I look forward to the next book in the series, My Wild Highlander. I would highly recommend this book and would read it again.

http://www.romancing-the-book.com/2011/10/review-my-fierce-highlander-by-vonda.h... ( )
  RtB | Oct 2, 2011 |

Gwyneth Carswell, an English lady banished by her father to the harsh Scottish Highlands, wants nothing more than to take her young son away from the violence of two fighting clans--her own distant kin, the MacIrwins, and their enemies, the MacGraths. She risks everything to rescue the fierce MacGrath warrior from the battlefield where he's left for dead by her clan. She only knows she is inexplicably drawn to him and he wants peace as she does. When her clan learns of her betrayal, they seek vengeance. Dare she trust the enemy more than her own family? Laird Alasdair MacGrath is driven to end two-hundred years of feuding with the MacIrwins. But by taking in and protecting Lady Gwyneth and her son, he provokes more attacks from his mortal enemy. As the danger and conflict surrounding them escalate, Alasdair and Gwyneth discover an explosive passion neither of them expected. With the arrival of a powerful man from her past, a horrible decision confronts her--give up her son or the man she loves. Novel, 91,000 words *** "Wow! I LOVE Highlanders and when I read My Fierce Highlander by Vonda Sinclair, I fell in love with Laird Alasdair MacGrath at once, and wanted to be the one rescuing him instead. Adventure, fighting, romance, the Highlands--what more can anyone ask for! Loved it!" Terry Spear, author of Heart of the Highland Wolf "I loved the description of the Highlands. This compelling story of two wounded people who each heal the other is spellbinding and simply lovely. I WANT MORE!" Cate Parke… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,940,146 books! | Top bar: Always visible