Arcadia by Tom Stoppard

Arcadia (1993)

by Tom Stoppard

Copenhagen by Michael Frayn (Jannes)
    Jannes: Science, the exploration of the unknown in the universe, explaining life through mathematical concepts, and the uncertainty of the past. These two plays have a lot in common, and are both equally brilliant.

English (35)  French (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Hebrew (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (40)
Mathematical discoveries glimpsed and lost to view will have their time again. You do not suppose, my lady, that if all of Archimedes had been hiding in the great library of Alexandria, we would be at a loss for a corkscrew?

Stellar writing, just a spot under-fed. I would've appreciated more bulk, more fury -- some Sturm und Drang . Alas a two-tiered production featuring landed aristocracy, precocious children and the ribald aura of Lord Byron. Ruminating over these historical effects almost 200 years later in the same room are a rasher of academics, including a physicist. There are some stunning lines here. I simply wanted more. ( )
  jonfaith | Feb 22, 2019 |
Saw the Lincoln Center production of this. It was a marvelous thing to behold. ( )
  deckla | Sep 23, 2018 |
Thematically rich in Time and Science and Literature and Dis/Order and fittingly presented and reinforced through the medium of a play - the constant juxtaposition of the different periods in the same setting with the same props - , this text is as if A.S. Byatt (of the Possession kind) and Tom Gauld (of the science-with-literature kind) decided to write a play together. The only thing more rewarding than reading the play is probably to experience it as a play.

Recommended for high-schoolers and up, especially for settings where in-depth dissections and discussions of the text are encouraged. ( )
  kitzyl | Dec 19, 2017 |
The Sparknotes (Cliff Notes) were worth reading as well. I would much rather have seen the live play somewhere. ( )
  jack2410 | Feb 2, 2017 |
Excellent! I am not a typical fan of plays/drama but Tom Stoppard tells an amazing story. ( )
  HMGThomas | Feb 24, 2016 |
A room on the garden front of a very large country house in Derbyshire in April 1809.

modern plays

Arcadia takes us back and forth between the nineteenth and twentieth centuries, ranging over the nature of truth and time, the difference between the Classical and the Romantic temperament, and the disruptive influence of sex on our orbits in life. Focusing on the mysteries—romantic, scientific, literary—that engage the minds and hearts of characters whose passions and lives intersect across scientific planes and centuries, it is “Stoppard’s richest, most ravishing comedy to date, a play of wit, intellect, language, brio and . . . emotion. It’s like a dream of levitation: you’re instantaneously aloft, soaring, banking, doing loop-the-loops and then, when you think you’re about to plummet to earth, swooping to a gentle touchdown of not easily described sweetness and sorrow . . . Exhilarating” (Vincent Canby, The New York Times).

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:40 -0400)

"In a large country house in Derbyshire in April 1809 sit Lady Thomasina Coverly, aged thirteen, and her tutor, Septimus Hodge. Through the window may be seen some of the '500 acres inclusive of lake' where Capability Brown's idealized landscape is about to give way to the 'picturesque' Gothic style: 'everything but vampires', as the garden historian Hannah Jarvis remarks in the same room 180 years later to Bernard Nightingale - who has arrived to uncover the scandal said to have taken place when Lord Byron stayed at Sidley Park. Tom Stoppard's absorbing play takes us back and forth between the centuries and explores the nature of truth and time, the difference between the Classical and the Romantic temperament, and the disruptive influence of sex on our orbits in life - 'the attraction which Newton left out'." -- Back cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,534,260 books! | Top bar: Always visible