Song of Oestend by Marie Sexton

Song of Oestend (2011)

by Marie Sexton

Series: Oestend (1)

I really need half stars. I'd give this 2.5 stars. I didn't like it, but I didn't hate it either. It's one of those take it or leave it for me books. Just not as good for me as the other Marie Sexton books I've read. Her stories usually suck me in quickly, but I just couldn't get into this one, and I just wanted it to be over. ( )
  DreZ | Jan 15, 2015 |
  DreZ | Jan 15, 2015 |
I adore Marie Sexton, have read all her books, and this one was not a disappointment--it was a great story with great characters. Although I love the "Promises" series, this book and Sexton's other fantasies--"Blind Space," "Cinder"--hold a special place in my heart because of the way they allow love to be love, whether the people who share it are male or female. When Deacon and Aren decide to be together, the fact that they're both men is not a cause for censure or anger or disappointment, except perhaps for the girl who was hoping to make Aren her husband. It's the same for Tristan and Valero in "Blind Space"; the relationship between the two men does not inspire concern or disgust. In fact, the men who have worked with Valero the longest are glad that he's finally found someone after having lost his last lover years before. For me, the virtually unquestioning acceptance of same-sex relationships takes these stories to an entirely new and higher level and makes me hope that one day that kind of acceptance will be the norm in our own world. My thanks to Marie Sexton for giving us these wonderful characters and for situating them in places where their love is embraced. Maybe someday Jared and Matt, Zach and Angelo, Jon and Cole, Levi and Jaime, and everyone else who is in any way dismissed or marginalized for his or her choice of lover will someday be accorded the same respect. ( )
  etbm2003 | Aug 18, 2014 |
Completely engrossing. The romance between the two character grows slowly allowing the reader to know each character. This is a sci-fi/western, but it's not so beyond the whelm of reality that it become an obstacle. Highly recommend. ( )
  Penny01 | Feb 1, 2014 |
  Penny01 | Feb 1, 2014 |

Aren Montrell has heard tales of the Oestend wraiths, mysterious creatures which come in the night and kill anyone who's not indoors. Aren's never had reason to believe the stories, but when he takes a job as a bookkeeper on the BarChi, a dusty cattle ranch on the remote Oestend prairie, he soon learns that the wraiths are real. Aren suddenly finds himself living in a supposedly haunted house and depending on wards and generators to protect him from unseen things in the night. As if that's not enough, he has to deal with a crotchety old blind woman, face "cows" that look like nothing he's ever seen before, and try to ignore the fact that he's apparently the most eligible bachelor around. Aren also finds himself the one and only confidante of Deacon, the BarChi's burly foreman. Deacon runs the BarChi with an iron fist and is obviously relieved to finally have somebody he can talk to.… (more)

Marie Sexton is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,145,820 books! | Top bar: Always visible