40 Ways to Get Closer to God by Jerry…

40 Ways to Get Closer to God (edition 2011)

by Jerry MacGregor, Keri Wyatt Kent

Other authors:Keri Wyatt Kent
Info:Bethany House (2011), Paperback, 189 pages
Rating:*****

40 Ways to Get Closer to God by Jerry MacGregor

this book was awarded to me from Bethany House publishers. when i first started to read it i was not prepared for the growth it would call for. Jerry MacGregor's book is divided up into 40 days or chapters in which he leads you on a journey that will transform your life and help you to grow in your walk with God. 40 ways to get closer to God helps you to really dig down deep to give what only He can give through you. this is a day-by-day walk which will stretch your faith and teach you a new way to get closer to God. this is a book that you will want to not only go through once but perhaps once a year in order to draw nearer to God. ( )
  mookiekat | Apr 16, 2012 |
NCLA Review: This is one of the best books I have ever read that gives practical steps everyone can take to actually do something that will enhance his or her faith and personal walk with Christ. Each chapter, averaging four pages, begins with an applicable quote and an application story. Then the reader is immediately challenged to do an activity that will bring it all into a proper perspective. There is a point of commitment when the reader is asked to place a check mark beside a sentence describing the challenge he or she has just completed. There is also a space for recording notes from the experience. An example of some of the things instructed to do include serving others, journaling, topical word search in the Bible, anonymous giving, exercise, media fasting, throwing a dinner party and inviting those who do not know Christ, recycling, worshipping God for Who He is, and many more. Most are very practical and doable. Rating: 4 —ARG ( )
  ncla | Mar 13, 2012 |
At some point in our lives, often when we're in crisis, we call on God for help. When the crisis passes, all too often we return to our normal routines and keep God distant as we did before. Even more often, we don't realize we're creating that distance, we just slide back into normal and the routine--and then we wonder why we feel disconnected or as though God's forgotten us, put us on ignore, abandoned us. We want something. We want more. We want that connection. But we haven't a clue how to get it.

In 40 Ways to Get Closer to God, MacGregor and Wyatt-Kent offer a practical (and very doable) plan for recognizing that the something more we want is an up-close and personal relationship with God, and that yearning for a connection to our Creator in our daily lives requires action--not from Him, from us.

Readers are given an opportunity in the form of a 40-day challenge to become active in their own transformation from one who lives distant and one who works to close the gap. While God's love is constant and unconditional, our relationship with God is two-part: His and ours. It's our part that is the focus of this insightful book, and it is in those insights we find keys to our personal spiritual advancement.

Steeped in Scripture, shared wisdom from those who have previously made this journey, and from Macgregor's personal journey, this book issues an open invitation to any who choose to embrace it. That invitation is to make your own personal journey. And should you accept, at its end what you discover is a new beginning. One where you have spiritually grown and you grasp your innate need to continue to grow. A path where you walk closer with God.

Note: This book is practical not preachy. It's conversational not authoritarian or lofty; more like a chat over coffee with a good friend than an instructional guide. The challenges inspire, make you eager to tackle them, not overwhelmed at the prospect or intimidated into doing nothing. It's a book you'll read and assess, then read again and again to digest. For in its apparent simplicity is a wealth of wisdom. ( )
  vickihinze | Oct 2, 2011 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0764209183, Paperback)

Practical Steps to a Deeper Faith

Each chapter contains a unique challenge and a brief explanation that puts the challenge in context. Exercises include acts of service to others, extended prayer, Scripture memory, fasting, a day of gratitude, media fasting (no TV or Internet), evangelism, and much more. The challenges are broad in scope, allowing people with varying personality types and learning styles to benefit from them.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:31 -0400)

"Sometimes faith demands action. This practical book gives Christians ideas for how to adjust their hearts to get closer to God. Each chapter contains a unique challenge and a brief explanation that puts the challenge in context. Exercises include acts of service to others, extended prayer, Scripture memory, fasting, a day of gratitude, media fasting (no TV or Internet), evangelism, and much more. The challenges are broad in scope, allowing people with varying personality types and learning styles to benefit from them" -- www.parable.com… (more)

Bethany House

An edition of this book was published by Bethany House.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,325,149 books! | Top bar: Always visible