Hushed by Kelley York

Hushed

by Kelley York

2011 (1) 2011-ya-debuts (2) 2012 (2) 2014 (1) 2016 (1) contemporary (1) cute (1) dark (2) diversity (1) dnf (2) ebook (2) gay (1) kids (2) lendable (1) lgbt (2) LGBT Fiction (1) LGBTQ (1) m-m (2) murder (2) mystery (1) netgalley (2) read (2) serial killers fiction (1) teen (2) thriller (2) to-read (19) want to read (1) wish (1) ya-mg (2) young adult (4)

It was pretty much what I expected; I enjoyed it a lot a lot. The highlight of this book were definitely the characters, Evan is just great and I absolutely loved Archer's thought process. Very quick read, but worth checking out. ( )
  Banoczi_Henrietta | Jun 19, 2017 |
This book has the most messed up love triangle I've ever read, and I loved it!

First there is Archer, the narrator of the book (well, at least most of it). He keeps to himself and is in love with Vivian, his best friend since childhood. But some bad shit happened to Vivian, and Archer is determined to "get even" for her by killing those who raped her or stood by and did nothing - which includes Vivian's own brother. Vivian, meanwhile, has gone into a tailspin since the rape; she only dates loser guys who smack her around, and Archer is desperately trying to save her from herself, although Vivian doesn't seem very interested. And then there is Evan, whom I loved, the third leg in this triangle - a sweet, genuinely nice guy who likes Archer for himself, something that Archer has never had, and who shows Archer that a nice, normal life might be possible for him.

Wow, that's a lot of messed up, and I enjoyed every second of it.

First, yay, a bisexual main character! And he's male! I have only ever read one other book with a bisexual male main character, and as soon as an interested woman came along in that other book, the character suddenly morphed into someone who was as straight as an arrow. So I really enjoyed that Archer had a latent bisexuality that Evan brought to life. And Archer and Evan are a great couple - all sorts of messed up, of course, because Archer is secretly killing people (although he does have a conscience, which Evan kind of stokes into life toward the middle of the book), but they really fit well together. Archer has never had someone who genuinely loved and cared for him, and Evan is exactly what he needs.

This book definitely has some Dexter tones to it, which I immensely liked, because I really enjoy the Dexter book series (and the Showtime TV series through the fourth season). But Archer isn't completely without redemption, and I think that the author did a great job of building a nuanced character without shying away from the darkness. Because I loved the darkness of Archer. And the interactions between the other characters were just as nuanced and developed, and you could see Archer and Vivian developing and changing as the book continued.

And then the ending. It was about as happy as one could ask for in this type of book, with Evan and Archer ending up alive and still together. Archer's in a mental institution, which is what he desperately needs, and Evan keeps visiting him. Loved it. And I loved that Archer and Evan ended up together in spite of the murders Archer committed; hell, I didn't care, I shipped these two boys hard and I wanted them to end up together alive. And I got it in a realistic way. So I was super happy. :)

Definitely recommended! ( )
  schatzi | Feb 22, 2015 |
Oh gods. This is so beautiful. After reading the Suicide Watch which had totally stolen my heart and now, having this, Kelley York definitely gave me more reasons to love her even more. I don't know how to elaborate my feelings but this is really wonderful. Wait- am I the only who thinks the guy on the cover is cute? He is really cute. Anyway, the tone is obviously dark. Deaths were everywhere.Death. Death. Death. And. Death. And it was quite depressing and heartbreaking to see the characters you used to love died. Just ouch. But at the end of the story each pieces of our broken hearts will be stitched back with hope and love.

Kelley, with no doubt is really great in making fabulous characters. I do really love her characters so much that I am willing and desperate to search fairy godmother, to ask her to bring them to life. And give them warm hugs.

Vivian Hilton, this girl was confusing. I don't know what to feel for her. Compassion? Anger? Annoyance? She had gotten raped by her brother's friends and received no justice after. Her life was ruined. And yet, she chose it to be more miserable. Going out with different guys and letting them to use and hurt her. And she didn't even bother to learn something,and kept doing it again and again. Oh gods. That made me want to slap her. Her terrible childhood experiences probably changed her view of life. And she chose it. And I really really feel bad for her, because she was broken and thought her actions were the right and good thing to do, which obviously were not. And some of us do the sameway. And Archer Pond did the same way. But he learned.

Archer was broken inside. With his mom hating him because of the death of his father. And also his obsession of Vivian. Vivian here. Vivian there. Always for Vivian. Oh gods that was tiring. But after he witnessed the rape of Vivian, he grew up promising to himself to avenge her. And he killed for her and he would do anything for Vivian just to make her happy. But Archer's life wasn't his anymore, it was Vivian's. But things started to change when Evan Bishop cameto his life. Okay. This is it. The best part of the story. I liked how they met. How the sparks flew. And it was awkward and cute. And I was like, at last! Bye bye Vivian! Hellooo Evan!!!

So Evan was the good guy who helped Archer in his worst times and to sort things out. And apparently, he discovered what Archer did in the past. And I was glad he haven't freaked out that much. I told you he was the good guy. The chemistry between this two characters started innocently. Which was superbly cute. I mean they felt awkward sometimes when they were together. Especially Archer every time he felt comfort and happiness in Evan.

This book is awesome. You'll definitely love Archer and Evan. Go read it! ( )
  Perco | Nov 10, 2014 |
This story deals with how the human psyche can be fragile and interweaves raw emotion with beautiful characters. When I read this book it brought out a lot of emotion in me I cried and I laughed and it even made my heart all warm and fuzzy. I fell in love with Archer and Evan but not so much Vivian.

Hushed is a Dark and Beautifully Written story about a guy Archer Pond willing to kill and has killed and forced some to take their own life in hopes of getting is best friend back Vivian who he was forced to watch being raped by her brothers friends. Since the rape Vivian as been on a downward spiral and Archer feels responsible for what happened because he was not able to stop it when it happened. So he made a promise to him self to get revenge for what happened to free him self of the guilt over what happened and and hope to free Vivian also. Along the way a guy Evan came into their lives and upon that happening Archer well sorta feel in love with Evan and outa love with Vivian which only infuriated her. Vivian wanted nothing to do with Archer romantically until Evan showed up and showed Archer that he did not need to be the monster that he was. That there was redemption for what he has done and a way to live life with out all the drama that Vivian only seem to bring to Archer with her constant failed relationships. This story is Dark and Gritty and captivates you from the beginning Kelley just takes you right into the world with no going back. This is a must read. ( )
  amdase | Nov 4, 2014 |
How in the hell did I just become sympathetic to a murder???

Hells bells.

Ok, let's talk about the basics of this book. It's YA, it's DARK, it's disturbing and it's got a m/m romance going on (PG-13 here folks, this isn't heavy hitting man on man action... so don't freak out)

But mostly...it's dark and disturbing.

You have Vivienne who at the beginning of the book I thought I was going to really like. Then she went off the deep end and left me wondering where she took the left turn into crazy town.

Archer...oh, my. Archer. He is a BAD person. He is all kinds of messed up. He is also endearing in a creepy kind of way. He is so disturbed. He wants so bad to be the hero for Vivienne, who is his very best friend. He just wants to fix everything for her...even though by doing what he thinks will fix everything he is ruining himself.

Enter Evan. Evan was what Archer needed and what sent Vivienne into a spiral of insanity. I wish that Archer could have met Evan WAY earlier... and maybe he would have been saved from the crazy that his relationship with Vivienne pushed him into. I don't know. I want to believe that Archer is a redeemable soul...but is he? Can anyone do what he did, no matter the motive and still be at their core a "good" person?

Ok...I am digressing. Here's the deal. Should you read this book? Yes. Hell yes. Will you love it? Yes. Will you be affected by it. HELL yes. Will it upset you? Yep. Will it haunt you? YES. Is it worth it? HELL YES.

Listen to Kate, give this book a go. Sometimes it's worth it to break from the sweet love stories and take a walk on the dark side. This book is a dark side worth visiting. ( )
  Kate.Good | Jul 3, 2014 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,644,041 books! | Top bar: Always visible