Summoning The Night by Jenn Bennett

Summoning The Night

by Jenn Bennett

This is book two in the Arcadia Bell series. Cady is still freaked out by her new magical powers but she is getting used to having a boyfriend in Lon. And, she has completely fallen in love with Lon's son Jupe. Jupe will be turning fourteen on Halloween and seems to be developing his knack a couple of years ahead of schedule. He is developing the knack for persuasion and now both Lon and Cady are worrying about helping him use it ethically.

The big problem in this one is that it looks like a serial killer from 30 years ago is making a reappearance. Thirty years ago seven Earthbound kids were kidnapped in the days before Halloween and no trace of them was ever found. New Earthbound kids who are the descendents of the members of the Hellfire club who can transform are being kidnapped. The leader of the club wants Lon and Cady to find out who is doing the kidnapping and why. Since Jupe is in the group of kids who are targets, Lon and Cady have an additional reason to find the kidnapper.

The story was action packed and exciting. I like the way Cady is making a new family for herself with Lon and Jupe and I like how frightened she is that something will go wrong there. I really like Jupe who is a very entertaining teenager. The relationship with Lon is also going well as they play to each other's strengths.

I'll be looking forward to reading more in this series ( )
  kmartin802 | Jul 15, 2015 |
Summoning the Night is the second book in the Arcadia Bell series by Jenn Bennett.

The blurb explains very well what Summoning the Night is about, let’s just add that Cady and Lon are going strong, their relationship is stable and everyday they are closer and closer. Same with Cady’s relationship with Jupe (Lon’s son), they have developed a great camaraderie, they are friends but more important is that Jupe admires, respects and loves Cady.

I’m going to start this review by saying that I was really afraid to read this book, not because I was expecting a bad book, completely the opposite, but because I was in a reading slump, yes, you know, one of those in which you start a book read 30-40 pages and you can’t continue reading more, then the next day you pick up another one in another genre and same thing happens, then you said ok, let’s try something different and next day you start yet another book and same thing happens, after 30-40 pages you can’t read more. At that moment you realized the problem is not “them” is you. Ok, I was deep in one of those, for that reason I was afraid to start Summoning the Night, I was worried that because of my mood I wouldn’t like it. But let me tell you that Summoning the Night is the perfect antidote to get out of a reading slump. This book is made of awesome, I can honestly say that since the moment I started it I couldn’t put it down until I reached its last word “Go”.

I loved to see how Cady has come a long way; she is slowly accepting everything that happened to her, not only her parents’ abandonment and betrayal but also the discovery of her Moonchild powers. She is in love with Lon and adoring Jupe. In this book she also realizes that they are a package and she is happy with it, after being alone for such a long time and not having a family of her own now she can say she has one.

Lon is as dreamy or more than in the first book. He is in love with Cady and is not afraid of showing it. He is a great partner, lover and an amazing father. He is just perfect for Cady. I love how their relationship has become something more; they are committed to each other and they know they can trust each other intrinsically.

Jupe was my favorite character in this book; he stole the show completely, he is sweet, funny, smart and just a pleasure to read. Jupe has accepted Cady as part of their family, he trusts her and loves her unconditionally. In this book he comes into his knack and I loved how mature and honest for his age he was about it. He could have abused it but his nature is so good that is something he doesn’t even consider. One of the things I loved the most about him was his vulnerability, he was also abandoned by his mom and for that reason he feels an especial connection with Cady. I could go on and on about him, but I think it’s better for you to discover how awesome Jupe is by yourself, go buy this book.

New characters are introduce in this book, one of those is Ambrose Dare, Dare was Lon’s father’s best friend; he is also one of the founders of the Hellfire Club. When Dare is introduced I thought he was a very nice man that care about Lon and his people, but soon after he turns out to be a (insert bad word of your preference). He is a manipulative bastard, I hated him and what he did with Cady, I hope she finds a way to made him pay for being an (insert again bad word of your preference).

Another new character is Hajo, he is creepy in a sexy kind of way. I don’t condone his methods but having the knack he has I kind of understand his reason. I’m sure we haven’t seen the last of him and I like that.

The mystery in this book is masterfully done, page after page I was guessing and changing my theory of who was the bad guy and at the end I was wrong. I really loved when an author can trick me into believing something and then kaboom! I’m left with a - that was completely unexpected but greatly done.

Mrs. Bennett has done it again. With Summoning the Night she proves us once more what a great and creative author she is, her voice is clear, vivid and realistic. The narrative is engaging and constructed into coherent and fluid plot lines that lead us to a perfect ending.
To say I loved Summoning the Night is an understatement, I adored it! I can’t recommend you enough this book and this series in general. Even though this book could be read as a stand a lone I won’t recommend you to do that, to get the whole effect of this series you have to read Kindling the Moon first and if you haven’t read it what are you waiting for?

I’m dying to know why the demons call Cady Mother of Ahriman, I hope to get an answer in next book of this series, Binding the Shadows. I’m really looking forward to its release on June of next year. ( )
  BookaholicCat | Mar 4, 2015 |
I love Arcadia Bell, and I have no idea why it took me so long to finally read the 2nd book in the series. I guess I forgot how much I liked the first one!
You got to see more of Cady and Lon as a couple, and Cady, Lon, and Jupe as a family. It was fantastic, yes, there was a lot of drama and action, but there was also the quiet times where it was just the 2 of them, or the 3 of them. I love how Cady gets so flustered by simple comments from Lon and Jupe about them being family.

It's also nice to see heroine that struggles with using or not using her ability. She doesn't WANT to use her moonchild powers, and does so only under the most extreme of circumstances.

This book was a fantastic read, and I can't wait for the next one! ( )
  LaCello | Sep 21, 2013 |
Arcadia Bell has a new life with her parents gone – and the beginnings of a new family with Lon and Jupe, despite her ongoing nervousness about the age gap.

But kids are going missing – Earthborn demon kids like Jupe. And it seems descendants of the Hellfire club owners are the ones who are being targeted – again, like Jupe. The kidnappings mirror a previous series of kidnappers 30 years ago. As the most powerful witch the demons of the Hellfire club know, she’s quickly recruited to help find the children. Something she’s happy to do, despite her misgivings over the club, but quickly it is clear the Earthborn will do anything to force her obedience and encourage her efforts

As Hallowe’en approaches, more kids vanish and the deadline to find the children draws near – and the pressure on Arcadia grows.

Before I begin, it’s going to sound like I am 10 kinds of grouchy about this book, which isn’t the case. Because I liked the book, I enjoyed it and I dashed it off in a day with no problem at all. The problem is a lot of the positives are rather mundane and only worth mentioning because I want to counter the impression this is a negative review. And it’s not – I liked this book, I enjoyed this book. I liked the relationships. I liked the characters. The story was fun, interesting, well written and well paced. The world is broad and interesting. There’s a lot of good here.

And several of the issues I had with the last book are changed – particularly Lon and Cady’s romance which is no longer jam packed with pointless drama for the sake of drama. In fact, the romance was blessedly smooth, happy with occasional moments of angst and doubt due to the age gap, but a refreshing lack of drama for drama’s sake. In fact, her, Lon and Jupe forming their own family are some of the best and most fun elements of the book.

Cady was also a much less passive character than she was in the last book. Now, that’s not saying much since in the last book she did very little esxcept follow. This book is better – she actively chooses to get involved when asked (though, irritatingly, she is then threatened to make her do what she had already chosen to do, undermining her agency). There’s still a lot of following Lon and the ending has an element of random woo-woo saving things for them but she’s more in control in this book than the last. If not in the driving seat, at least she’s called shotgun and has the map – and isn’t in the trailer being pulled by the car. That metaphor made more sense in my head but I’m sure you can follow it. She does have ideas in this book and they largely follow them – but they’re often complained about, some of them don’t work and some of them do work but… well, the chances of them backfiring were high. It’s not spunky agency – high isn’t a certainty – but when your plan involves “let’s give this potion that enslaves people to the sinister drug addict with criminal connections” then there is certainly a high probably of backfire there.

I did not dislike this book. But I am 10 kinds of frustrated with this book for not meeting the potential both this book and the last book has shown. There are a lot of niggles and objections I have which, when piled up, look huge and do come together to be a problem – but don’t stop the book being enjoyable.

I don’t like how Arcadia approaches her powers. I think “my parents wanted it so it must be bad” is such a very shallow reason for her to decide not to use her Moonchild powers. It’s so simplistic and it’s not like she hasn’t had positive affirmation of it either. She’s had months with these powers now and she’s not done anything to investigate them, develop them, research them, practice with them or anything. Demons are calling her “Mother” and she’s just letting it go. She’s even using more normal magic when she could do exactly the same thing for less pain and effort by kindling moon energy.

It feels contrived excuse to make sure the heroine who you have, perhaps, given more power than intended doesn’t then use those powers too much – a way to drag out the development of her power growth slowly over several books by adding a simplistic fear of them which, frankly, is very overdone in Urban Fantasy anyway.

Read More ( )
  FangsfortheFantasy | Sep 20, 2013 |
This is one fantastic UF series. Can't wait for the next one! ( )
  bonniemarjorie | May 7, 2013 |

MAGICAL TRICKS. DEMONIC TREATS.

After narrowly escaping her fate as a sacrificial scapegoat, Arcadia Bell is back to normal. Or at least as ordinary as life can be for a renegade magician and owner of a tiki bar that caters to Earthbound demons. She’s gearing up for the busiest day of the year—Halloween—when a vengeful kidnapper paralyzes the community. The influential head of the local Hellfire Club taps Cady to track down the fiendish bogeyman, and now that she’s dating red-hot Lon Butler, the Club’s wayward son, she can hardly say no.
Cady and Lon untangle a gruesome thirty-year trail of clues that points to danger for the club members’ children. But locating the person behind the terror will require some metaphysical help from Cady’s loyal bar patrons as well as her potent new Moonchild powers—and she’d better figure it out before the final victim disappears and her own darkest secret becomes her biggest enemy.

Arcadia (Cady) Bell, renegade wizard and owner of a tiki bar that caters to Earthbound demons, is gearing up for Halloween, when a kidnapper paralyzes the neighborhood. She is asked by her boyfriend's father, the head of the local Hellfire Club, to investigate. Cady and Lon have to untangle thirty year old clues to track down the person behind the kidnappings.… (more)

Jenn Bennett is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,622,496 books! | Top bar: Always visible