To Walk the Night by E.S. Moore

To Walk the Night

by E.S. Moore

Kat Redding is known as Lady Death to the vampires. Armed with silver, illegal since the Uprising when vampires and werewolves drove humans into virtual hiding at night, she preys on the predators, saving the lives of the Purebloods, the untainted humanity, as much as she can.

But Kat is one of the tainted herself, a vampire desperately struggling to control her own hunger and anger. A drive that she cannot restrain and still has her leaving bodies in her wake; even as she tries to prey on the human predators, she cannot escape the truth that she is as much a killer as the ones she hunts.

And then came the Luna Cult, knowing more than they should, with an offer for her. A chance to take down a Vampire House she would normally consider too big to tackle, and save innumerable lives in the process. But it involves working with the werewolves of the cult, people she continues to see as enemy. Or, perhaps worse, people she is beginning to see as people.

There are a lot of vampires out there now and it can be hard to find a book that doesn’t follow some very predictable patterns. So I was very happy to see some of the original nuances that this book brought, The Taint that turns “Purebloods” into vampires or werewolves, the problems with mixing the Taint, the vampire houses, the Uprising causing humanity to pretty much cede the night to the Tainted: there’s a lot of elements here that make it very different from most vampire books. There’s an originality that makes it fascinating and a world I want to explore. The world building is also very solid and consistent with some decent development – not only do people stay in after the curfew but there are other problems as well, like college campuses being only a quarter full because they were hit first as an easy source of quick recruits by the vampire houses. Things like this, extra details, extra considerations of what other effects would come from an event like the Uprising really add a lot of meat to the world. It gives it a realness and makes the events more authentic rather than just useful story points the author makes up as they go along.

The story itself is also an interesting one and one that’s perfect for the first book in a series. It gives us a chance to explore several of the main characters (albeit not as much as I would like in one case as I mention below) as well as the world setting , all without much in the way of info-dumping (though we do get a fair bit of monologuing). The pacing is decent (except, again, for that monologuing) with plenty of action strung together without it just being action without plot. There was also plenty of twists with mistrust of the Luna Cult and then the revelation of the Luna Cult’s splinter group. From that there are still plenty of unanswered questions that beg to be answered in the next book – which is a hook in and of itself.

It does have a couple of moments where I have to say “huh” like an experienced vampire house deciding that restraining their angry werewolves to a wall said wolfies can break is a good idea, or that imprisoning people and then leaving a huge pile of their weapons just outside the cell. They seem small but things like this put the protagonist’s success more in the hands of random chance and enemy screw ups rather than their own planning (or complete and utter lack thereof) and competence.

Read More ( )
  FangsfortheFantasy | Sep 20, 2013 |
Kat Redding is a vampire and werewolf hunter. She and her brother Thomas hunted down rogues, killed them and lived to do it again. Until one night, they were captured. Thomas’s fate was terrible and Kat was turned into one of the things she hated most, a vampire. After a time, she managed to break free killing everyone in the Valentino Vampire House, but saving one man, a Pureblood named Ethan, one of the humans the vampires fed on. Grateful beyond words, he stayed with her, helping her in any way he could while she continued to hunt and kill those that needed hunted and killed. The last thing you wanted was Lady Death to come calling.

'To Walk the Night' begins several years after Kat escapes House Valentino. The Luna Cult, a group of Purebloods (humans) who worship werewolves, has a problem, a big problem, and the only solution is to ask Kat for help, so they send a messenger with the address for their Den. Kat doesn’t trust the Cult because they worship the monsters, werewolves, but she’s too curious not to see what they want. You know what they say about curiosity, right? Her name may be Kat, but it’s a good thing she’s a vampire.

This was a great first book in a new series. The writing was smooth, the plot intriguing, the story fascinating, the characters interesting. I’m reminded of the first time I read 'Guilty Pleasures' by Laurell K. Hamilton. Both are similar stories, yet not. In either case, I couldn’t put them down.

An awesome read! I very much look forward to Book 2, 'Tainted Night, Tainted Blood' coming 3 July 2012.

*The publisher provided a copy of this book to me for review. Please see disclaimer page on my blog. ( )
  AVoraciousReader | Jan 19, 2013 |
I enjoyed Kat. I liked her Attitude. I like that even though she was turned she still fights to keep humans safe from the Vampires and Weres. I like her loyalty to her friend and roommate. I also really loved the image of her that was depicted on the cover of the book, It completely matched how I would picture her in my mind.

There were a few slow parts in TO WALK THE NIGHT but the overall flow was nice. There is no romance which I didn't like nor dislike. I would like to see how she would handle something like that in the future but I enjoyed getting to know Kat without that. There was tons of action throughout the book and the world that Moore built was intriguing. I think any Urban Fantasy lover will enjoy TO WALK THE NIGHT. ( )
  STACYatUFI | Feb 3, 2012 |
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy:
www.allthingsurbanfantasy.blogspot.com

This book more than lives up to it’s kick butt cover art in terms of menace; fans of a darker, grittier brand of urban fantasy will love E. S. Moore’s TO WALK THE NIGHT. Kat Redding stalks through the underbelly of a changed but recognizable version of our world, striking fear in the hearts of the predators that prey upon ordinary humans. It was almost impossible not to imagine Kate Beckinsale’s leather-clad form as Kat, but unfortunately, no scruffy and handsome leading man appeared to fight by her side.

That lack of romance was one mark against TO WALK THE NIGHT, but my largest issue overall was the ambiguity of all the characters introduced. Everyone in this book, including Kat herself, has dark secrets and feet of clay. With so many conflicting good/evil signals bouncing around I had a hard time getting invested in any side of the conflict. There were a number of cinematic fight scenes and some interesting mythology details (I particularly liked vampire fangs cutting their gums when they emerge, a la Wolverine’s claws), but pure mythology and action was not enough to keep me focused when I was unsure who I should really be rooting for.

Though things lagged for me in the middle, the book manages to end on a high note that has piqued my interest for book two. TAINTED NIGHT, TAINTED BLOOD will be available this summer, and since many of my favorite series started with a slow burning book one, I’m hoping that book two will delve a little deeper into the characters introduced in TO WALK THE NIGHT.

Sexual Content: Attempted rape, mention of sexual abuse. ( )
  Capnrandm | Jan 5, 2012 |
Kat Redding, aka Lady Death, is taking down the Vampire houses one by one. Freeing the Purebloods that are strong enough to live and exacting her vengeance on the very things that transformed her into one of them. With her trusted housemate, Ethan, Kat is decked out in all the high powered weaponry that she needs to follow thru with her mission. Her bond with Ethan runs deep. They were captives together under a vampire who transformed her and her brother, Thomas. Ethan was able to escape with his humanity. Thomas was made insane after having vampire and werewolf blood mixed together inside of him. A very deadly combination. Now Kat has been approached by the Luna Cult to help them retrieve their leader Simon. What surprises Kat is that the man who approaches her is Jonathan, a werewolf who was badly scarred by her when the house he served was decimated by her. He respects her and attributes what she did to him to what saved him. This is where you start to see Kat's vulnerable side which doesn't make appearances very often.

The world that Moore has created is a darker realm than ours that has seen the uprising of the vampires and their werewolf pawns. Humans are cattle and there is no glamor or illusion of the tall, dark and sexy vampires. They are predators.

Being that this is only the first book in a series I expected it to be slow in parts. Even with that I am looking forward to the next installment. Moore has me intrigued especially with a certain werewolf named Adrian.

(Book was provided by publisher for an honest review) ( )
  Kelsey_O | Jan 4, 2012 |

Even a vampire has to face her inner demons. . .

Kat Redding is the very thing she hunts: a vampire, thirsting for blood, capable of killing any creature unlucky enough to get in her path. The difference is, Kat kills her own kind in order to protect human Purebloods. She's good at what she does. Good enough to earn the nickname Lady Death--and the enmity of every bloodthirsty being around. But now a vampire Count is intent on merging his House with a werewolf cult to create a force of terrifying power.

Kat can't allow that to happen. Even if it means taking on a den of weres and a vampire more ruthless than any she's encountered before. She has the weapons, the skill, and a few allies. But that may not be enough to eliminate the Count before her own dark nature rises to the surface--and costs her whatever is left of her humanity. . .

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0758268726, Mass Market Paperback)

Kat Redding is the very thing she hunts: a vampire, thirsting for blood, capable of killing any creature unlucky enough to get in her path. The difference is, Kat kills her own kind in order to protect human Purebloods. She's good at what she does. Good enough to earn the nickname Lady Death - and the enmity of every bloodthirsty being around. But now a vampire, Count, is intent on merging his House with a werewolf cult to create a force of terrifying power. Kat can't allow that to happen. Even if it means taking on a den of weres and a vampire more ruthless than any she's encountered before. She has the weapons, the skill, and a few allies. But that may not be enough to eliminate the Count before her own dark nature rises to the surface - and costs her whatever is left of her humanity.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:06 -0400)

Kat Redding is a vampire and is also known as Lady Death for killing her own kind in order to protect human "Purebloods". But now a vampire Count is intent on merging his house with a werewolf cult to create a force of terrifying power. Can Kat stop the Count before her own dark nature rises to the surface and costs her whatever is left of her humanity?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,370,837 books! | Top bar: Always visible