Wine to Water: A Bartender's Quest to Bring…

Wine to Water: A Bartender's Quest to Bring Clean Water to the World

by Doc Hendley

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I love reading stories of MEN. Like, real men. Manly men. Especially men who use their manliness for amazing things. Doc Hendley is one those MEN. He’s a rough and tumble, drinking, swearing, biker guy. And he’s doing incredible work in bringing clean water to people around the globe. Put me in Sudan and I’m dead in a few days (from any number of horrible, brutal deaths). But men like Hendley can do some really great work in places inaccessible to most aid workers because he’s so manly. I loved this book all around. Hendley doesn’t apologize for who he is, but instead embraces it and makes it an asset. He also brings together a network of people to help who can do the things he can’t do as well — organize and fund raise and the like. My favorite part of the whole book was his internal struggle — trying to find meaning in life, being afraid he’s not doing enough, trying to reconcile his way of living with a belief in God. The writing isn’t the best and could have used a little more editing, but you get the feeling the Hendley wrote it himself and you sort of have to give him props for that. Hendley reminds us that even the broken and bruised can make a difference.

Read my full review here: http://letseatgrandpa.com/2012/06/27/book-review-37-wine-to-water-by-doc-hendley... ( )
  letseatgrandpa | Jun 28, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
It's nice to read a book about a third-world NGO that isn't depressing and doesn't make its founder out to be some kind of saint. Doc Hendley manages both of those things. A feckless young man, he had no direction in life until he came up with his "Wine to Water" idea. I admired his honesty about his own flaws, and the book also opened my eyes to the difficulty of working in that region of Africa. Well-done. ( )
  meggyweg | Apr 3, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I just hope Doc Hendley is as sincere as he writes in, "Wine To Water". To be courageous to pursue a dream, even in its infancy is one thing. But to pursue a dream in its infancy, in one of the most dangerous countries in the world, is completely another. I appreciated Hendley's stark honesty and truth as he narrated the events of his life, while in Darfour. While Hendley's writing style was too informal for my taste, he made up for it tremendously as he escorts the reader through dangerous desert roads, in an attempt to bring clean water to displaced people. Encountering the Janjaweed and government militia groups, Hendley and his counterparts, work tirelessly to bring a basic right to those who've had all their rights destroyed. Hendley's bravado is exciting as he negotiates with tribal leaders to enter their lands to provide them with water. However, the reader plunges headlong with Hendley, as he is faced with the horrifying truth that people in Darfour are being murdered daily, and in large numbers. A sense of injustice and frustration can be guaranteed as Hendley watches as the Janjaweed destroy the wells Hendley worked so hard to repair. Sadder still, is the cold truth Hendley has to face on his R&R visit to Raleigh, his home. Recognizing the truth that most people don't want to really know the truth about the circumstances, most people live in, Hendley finds himself alone emotionally and spiritually. It is the encouraging words of his grandfather, a man for whom he has deep admiration and respect, that give him the strength to continue his dream. He returns to Darfour with a renewed hope, only to be met with a personal tragedy, forcing him to make radical decisions. I wish Doc Hendley continued success in his project, and hope this book will force us all to face the truths about our lives and the lives of our fellow mankind. ( )
  laurensx | Mar 11, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
An inspiring book.. it is possible for one person to make a difference and inspire others to follow their example. I am so glad the author took the time to write about this adventure! I recommend this book for it's own value but also to anyone feeling they need a look at the good in life. ( )
  MissReadsTooMuch | Feb 19, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
"You want to help? Then help."

I love reading about Doc's journey from serving wine to serving clean drinking water. I love that he struggled with christianity and church but was obviously moved by social justice and serving the least of those. I was glad to read his honesty in his struggles and his humility in his successes.

I LOVE that he chose to include locals on his original team and eventually learned to implement training the locals to provide clean water for themselves, lending to true sustainability and empowerment - not just a temporary fix for those in need and feel-good boost for those sent.

Hurrah's to Doc for answering the call. For not bowing out when a family came into the picture. To his wife, Amber, who was willing to support him while he pursued his passion. For the gritty, hands-on, just get down and do it approach. For wanting to help, then helping. ( )
  mlvanmeter-read | Feb 13, 2012 |
Whiskey is for drinking: water is for fighting over. ---source unknown
This book is dedicated to my wife, Amber. Darlin', you are the most beautiful thing in my sometimes dark and crazy world. Thank you for being patient with me during the growing years of Wine to Water and for loving me despite my many imperfections. I would be nowhere without you.
I'd driven this same road through the low desert plains of South Darfur dozens of times before. But this time something was different. Something just didn't seem right.

" The captivating story of an ordinary bartender who's changing the world through clean water. Doc Hendley never set out to be a hero. In 2004, Hendley-a small- town bartender- launched a series of wine-tasting events to raise funds for clean-water projects and to bring awareness to the world's freshwater crisis. He planned to donate the proceeds through traditional channels, but instead found himself traveling to one of the world's most dangerous hot spots: Darfur, Sudan. There, Doc witnessed a government-sponsored genocide where the number-one weapon wasn't bullets-it was water. The Janjaweed terrorists had figured out that shooting up a bladder containing 10,000 liters of water, or dumping rotting corpses into a primary water source is remarkably efficient for the purposes of mass extermination. With limited funds, Doc realized that he couldn't build new wells costing $10,000 a pop, but he could hire local workers to restore a damaged well for a mere $50 each. He'd found his mission. Today, Doc and Wine to Water continue to help stricken peoples repair and maintain water- containment systems in places like Darfur, Cambodia, Uganda, and Haiti. Doc is a regular, rough-and-tumble guy who loves booze, music, and his Harley- but he also wanted to help. Wine to Water is a gripping story about braving tribal warfare and natural disasters and encountering fascinating characters in far-flung regions of the world. It is also an authoritative account of a global crisis and an inspirational tale that proves how ordinary people can improve the world. "--"A memoir by Doc Hendley, a bartender turned renegade savior, who has supplied clean drinking water to over 30,000 people by rebuilding wells in war-torn and impoverished areas, including Sudan, Northern Uganda, Ethiopia, Cambodia, India, Perus, and most recently, Haiti. Hendley reflects on his experiences--many of which are extremely harrowing--and sounds a call to action"--… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Doc Hendley's book Wine to Water was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,446,344 books! | Top bar: Always visible