I Lay My Stitches Down: Poems of American…

I Lay My Stitches Down: Poems of American Slavery

Fantastic collection of poems that paint pictures of the American slave's world, and then underneath each poem is an explanation of the conditions that led to that poem's sentiment. Every picture alongside each page is worthy of being on the wall. This book is a true work of art.
  mikeswanson | Jun 1, 2017 |
This is a very touching story that shares personal account of life during slavery.
  kiahbremframe | Mar 18, 2017 |
This book is constructed to represent quilt squares and has a sequence of ten lines of ten syllables to mimic the same square shape of a quilt, at the end of each poem there is an added biblical or spiritual reference or musical reference that explains what the poem is referring to and it show what slaves went through. There are many short poems in this book
  sabrenarose | Nov 20, 2016 |
This book was very interesting to me. I loved how each poem is spoken from a different perspective and the way the author tied in quilt stitches. The illustrations were bright and vibrant. Overall i really enjoyed this book. ( )
  eel74 | Oct 20, 2016 |
This book did a great job representing the African American culture and the aspects of slavery. The illustrations represent the time period well and I enjoyed the design of the book. The names of the poems represent quilts and it kept me engaged through the quality and realism of the book.
  Shilonwheeler | Aug 14, 2015 |

This rich and intricate collection of poems chronicles the various experiences of American slaves. Drawn together through imagery drawn from quilting and fiber arts, each poem is spoken from a different perspective: a house slave, a mother losing her daughter to the auction block, a blacksmith, a slave fleeing on the Underground Railroad.

This moving and eloquent set of poems, brought to life by vivid and colorful artwork from Michele Wood, offers a timeless witness to the hardship endured by America’s slaves. Each poem is supplemented by a historical note.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:20 -0400)

A collection of poems that depict people and events throughout the history of the United States.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

's book I Lay My Stitches Down: Poems of American Slavery was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,987,195 books! | Top bar: Always visible