The Magic Room: A Story About the Love We…

The Magic Room: A Story About the Love We Wish for Our Daughters (edition 2011)

by Jeffrey Zaslow

100None124,812 (3.67)None
Member:IandSsmom
Title:The Magic Room: A Story About the Love We Wish for Our Daughters
Authors:Jeffrey Zaslow
Info:Gotham (2011), Hardcover, 304 pages

The Magic Room: A Story About the Love We Wish for Our Daughters by Jeffrey Zaslow

Recently added bykarand, Swade0710, CasaBooks, private library, pearlinthesea, tiffanyfawn, ndefries

Drove thru Fowler recently and by "Becker Bridal" on a Sunday and it was like a ghost-town. Wanted to read this, so now seemed the time. True behind the scenes stories of running a business, the bridal industry, with most of the focus on the 3rd generation family member who is now running it.
Interlaced with "one-of-each-kind" of story about brides, families, delayed bride, repeat bride, bride in accident . . the gamut of possibilities to fit into this book.
But nothing is overdone or sensationalized. Very well written with excellent overview and enough details to be an easy interesting reading.
Especially poignant, not so much for the brides, rather for the author. Nationally known, of several other major books - lived in Detroit area and was killed in a winter road accident on a trip promoting the book in Western Michigan.
He mentions the love and hopes he has for his daughters as they grow and marry and the love and anticipation he has for them and their happiness simply glows in his words. That he should lose is life so soon as this was written is truly tragic. ( )
  CasaBooks | Mar 14, 2014 |
A wonderful book, made exponentially more poignant by the fact that Zaslow has since died, leaving behind a wife and three daughters of his own.

"Sometimes when people are alive, they can't full show the love they're feeling. Maybe for some people...their love somehow comes afterward." (46)

In times of plenty, people find plenty of little things to get them down. (232)

"...These are the hands of your best friend, the hands that will work alongside you, comfort you in illness, and hold you when fear or grief clouds your mind. May [the bride and groom] see their four hands as healer, protector, shelter, and guide." (259) ( )
  JennyArch | Apr 3, 2013 |
Polly’s flying home and she’s getting married! Except, she’s not. The wedding’s off and nobody can figure out why. After all, Polly seemed head over heels with her fiance Dev and the wedding is just around the corner. Polly’s friend Grace and her sister Bella both have enough problems of their own but with Christmas and a wedding just around the corner, they need to figure out how to get Polly down the aisle.

I really enjoyed There Goes the Bride. Although the main aspect of the story is Polly’s refusal to wed Dev – and refusal to confirm why – Bella and Grace also have their own share of pretty heavy going problems. Bella has a successful catering business but she’s looking to adopt and having a waster of a boyfriend lolling around the house, bringing his mates home and missing every social worker’s visit is proving to be a bit much to handle. Grace has lovely children but a less than lovely husband. Despite being a talented artist, she’s become little more to her husband than a fetcher, carrier and babysitting service.

The book is fun and funny with a smattering of arguments, romance, sex, snobbery and Christmas mayhem. At times it’s a little predictable but there’s some charm in that and a kind of reassurance that there’s nothing too tragic or overwhelming to face. This is feel good and enjoyable, with laughs, smiles and contented sighs along the way.

I haven’t read any of McQueen’s previous work but having enjoyed this so thoroughly I would definitely recommend her and wouldn’t hesitate to pick up other work by her. A fantastic pick about real women with real issues!

**Review originally published on Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dave. I received a copy of the book in exchange for a fair and honest review. I did not receive any additional compensation and all views are my own.** ( )
  donnambr | Jan 12, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I had such high hopes for this book. When I requested it through Early Reviewers I was in the middle of planning my wedding, but by the time I received it, my wedding had happened and I was learning to be a wife…and kind of tired of talking about weddings. Maybe that is why I did not enjoy this book. Or maybe it was because I found the author’s voice and the book itself to be uninspired and trite. I felt like I was reading the first draft of an inexperienced writer, not the final draft of a New York Times best seller. Either way, I would not recommend this book to others and now will likely not read “The Girls from Ames” which has been on my shelves for some time. ( )
  auntangi | May 1, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Jeffrey Zaslow does an amazing job at conveying the love of parents for their daughters. He accomplishes this by including stories of eight families and their relationships with each other. And while each family is different, their affinity for their daughters is very much the same.

At the heart of the book is the story of the Becker family. The Beckers have owned Becker's Bridal in Fowler, MI for generations, and Shelley Becker is the latest in the long line of family members to run the shop. The Magic Room - a former bank vault - is where brides go to see their chosen dress from every corner as the room is surrounded by mirrors. And it is there that Shelley hears their stories, stories of love, but also of tragedies and fear. ( )
  verka6811 | Mar 10, 2012 |
For my daughters, Jordan, Alex, and Eden,
and for your daughters too...
One hundred miles northwest of my home, in a tiny, rural town with one stoplight, I found a place where 100,000 daughters, along with their mothers and fathers, have found themselves reflecting on the word "love."

Traces the cultural process through which American women become married as reflected by the experiences of patrons at a family-owned bridal shop in Michigan, offering insight into how the rite of passage reflects national views on marriage.

153 wanted1 pay6 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Magic Room by Jeffrey Zaslow was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,489,435 books! | Top bar: Always visible