Delavier's Core Training Anatomy by…

Delavier's Core Training Anatomy

by Frederic Delavier

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Delavier's Core Training Anatomy is a comprehensive reference manual about our "middle", so often neglected, so important to well-being. The explanations guide one to become intrinsically fit not just cosmetically fit. There are helpful excercise categories and the photographs and illustrations are actually helpful. Safety is featured, especially regarding the spine and correct posture when doing several exercises. One who is interested in core health will benefit from this book.
  gpsman | Aug 3, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Call this book poetry for the torso. It’s just great. Great visuals. Lovely language. Good instruction. I own and adore all of Frédéric Delavier’s books and enjoy using his exceptional illustrations to look under my skin at the muscle and skeletal system. This book is a welcome addition as it concentrates on core strength, developing a sturdy and sculpted middle area. A strong torso is vitally important for good posture and good health, as well as for maintaining attractiveness. I am a yoga teacher and will use concepts and lessons laid out in this book to explain correct movements. For example, why not to arch the back when doing leg lifts. Delavier warns not to endanger the spine by performing “fake” abdominal exercises that create imbalance.
Reading the book I found out a few things I didn’t know, too: for instance, we all wear an “Apollo’s Belt.” It lies on the junction of the waist and thighs--more specifically it’s the lower part of the internal oblique muscles--and is so named because it resembles Apollo’s Lyre. Anyone seriously interested in sculpting the mid-section, in bodywork, body building, or yoga will benefit from adding Core Training Anatomy to their library.
  authorknows | Jan 18, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Disclaimer: I won a copy of this book through LibraryThing's Early Reviewers program. However, my package was stolen and this review is from a library copy of the book.

Once again, Human Kinetics and Delavier do not disappoint with a beautiful, informative, full-color illustrated guide to core training. There are exercises in here from the total beginner to beefcake gym rat. I like the guidelines and cautions for exercises that are not helpful, as well as all of the information on how to and how not to do the exercises in this book.

My favorite part of this manual is the back, where the authors have helpfully put together different routines based on what your goal is - toning your six pack, increasing your endurance, or becoming as ripped as the guy doing the poses in this book. ( )
  lemontwist | Jan 8, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this as an early reviewer book and was pleasantly surprised how immediately useful this will be for me. I've just been on a physical fitness schedule for a year or so and don't go to the gym, but this book has wonderful exercises, well-explained that I can do at my current level of fitness and beyond. The anatomical illustrations and explanations are especially nice for helping me understand which exercises I want to focus on, how they're going to benefit me and how to do them correctly.
  valoise | Dec 31, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is perhaps the most comprehensive, well-illustrated, and easy to use reference manual for any kind of exercise that I've seen. The explanations are clear and precise, the exercises themselves are categorized in ways that are useful (not just for creating the look of fitness, but fitness itself in its several varieties), and the illustrations and photographs make it nearly impossible to not understand what's going on when you train your core musculature.

But perhaps the most important aspect of this book is the keen awareness that while everyone would benefit from some core training, there are different kinds of benefits for different kinds of purposes (both in looks and in performance). This nuanced approach is particularly important for someone looking to increase core strength for a specific purpose (e.g., to increase cycling performance without adding additional bulk and weight). ( )
  cornerhouse | Dec 30, 2011 |

With 460 full-color photos and illustrations, you'll go inside over 100 exercises and 60 programs to see how muscles interact with surrounding joints and skeletal structures. You'll learn how variations, progressions, and sequencing can affect muscle recruitment, the underlying structures, and ultimately the results. Delavier's Core Training Anatomy includes programming for sculpting your abs, reducing fat, improving cardiovascular health, and relieving low back discomfort. Targeted routines are presented for optimal training and performance in more than 20 sports, including running, cycling, basketball, soccer, and golf.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Frederic Delavier's book Delavier's Core Training Anatomy was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,363,974 books! | Top bar: Always visible