Beneath a Meth Moon by Jacqueline Woodson

Beneath a Meth Moon (edition 2012)

by Jacqueline Woodson

Collections:MHS Library, Read but unowned, Reviewed on my website
Rating:*
Tags:Addiction

Beneath a Meth Moon by Jacqueline Woodson

Crank by Ellen Hopkins (meggyweg)
    meggyweg: Two novels of meth addiction.

Interesting read but I wasn't too invested in the characters. It was an awfully sympathetic view of meth addiction, but maybe the idea of hope when it comes to this affliction is appropriate. ( )
  bjoelle5 | Feb 10, 2016 |
Narrated by Cassandra Campbell. In the wake of her mother and grandmother's deaths during Hurricane Katrina, Laurel succumbs to meth addiction--the "moon"--when her new boyfriend introduces her to the drug. Readers seeking a lurid account of drug addiction will be disappointed. This is Jacqueline Woodson after all and so Laurel's story is much more poetic, with an affectionate focus on her relationships such as with her father; her best friend Kaylie; Moses, the mural artist who saves Laurel; and her beloved grandmother M'lady. Campbell effectively voices the wretchedness of Laurel at her lowest, giving the audio version a sense of despair that may not be so vivid in print. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |

Simply beautiful! I couldn't put this down. It was on my pile of books to return to the library and I thought I'd read a few pages to see if I should renew it or not. Woodson's words are captivating from the opening page. Needless to say I had to renew it and then I had to come home and finish it! Not only is this a touching, heart-wrenching book of meth addiction, but it is also a story of grief and loss, and the impact of Hurricane Katrina. An awesome, powerful read! ( )
  Nancy.Castaldo | Nov 3, 2014 |
Life was normal for 15-year-old Laurel. She loved to write, and had a nice, safe life with her mom, grandma, dad and baby brother. Everything changed when the hurricane took her mom and grandma's life. In her new town, Laurel tried to find herself through cheerleading and her new boyfriend T-Boom. Instead, she lost herself to meth. Meth made her forget the pain of losing her mom and grandma, of losing herself. Meth made her feel alive. Unfortunately, meth was really killing her, slowly, day by day, but Laurel doesn't know how to live without meth. Most people think meth addicts are older, but Woodson shows how meth is willing to be there to grab the life of anyone, regardless of age. ( )
  ShouldIReadIt | Sep 26, 2014 |
This book was absolutely fantastic! I loved it from the beginning to its end. Woodson allowed her readers to see the life of a drug addict from both first person and third person point of view. Her metaphorical writing showed the beauty of meth and how good it makes a feel. Then she shows the ugliness of meth and how damaging it can be to a person's life. Woodson asks her readers this question, "Why do people use drugs?" After reading this novel, I also asked the same question. Is the price of a high worth the cost of life? The message of this novel, "Life is too precious and too short to waste it on a deadly substance." ( )
  Kwatkins89 | Nov 25, 2013 |
Before I traveled my road, I was my road...

~Antonio Porchia
This road...
for my mom and grandma, in memory
and for my sister, Odella
It's almost winter again and the cold moves through this town like water washing over us.

Laurel Daneau has moved on to a new life, in a new town, but inside she's still reeling from the loss of her beloved mother and grandmother after Hurricane Katrina washed away their home. Laurel's new life is going well, with a new best friend, a place on the cheerleading squad and T-Boom, co-captain of the basketball team, for a boyfriend. Yet Laurel is haunted by voices and memories from her past.

When T-Boom introduces Laurel to meth, she immediately falls under its spell, loving the way it erases, even if only briefly, her past. But as she becomes alienated from her friends and family, she becomes a shell of her former self, and longs to be whole again. With help from an artist named Moses and her friend Kaylee, she's able to begin to rewrite her story and start to move on from her addiction.

Incorporating Laurel's bittersweet memories of life before and during the hurricane, this is a stunning novel by one of our finest writers. Jacqueline Woodson's haunting - but ultimately hopeful - story is beautifully told and one readers will not want to miss.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:28 -0400)

"A young girl uses crystal meth to escape the pain of losing her mother and grandmother in Hurricane Katrina, and then struggles to get over her addiction"--

24 wanted1 pay12 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Beneath a Meth Moon by Jacqueline Woodson was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,909,062 books! | Top bar: Always visible