Beneath a Meth Moon by Jacqueline Woodson

Beneath a Meth Moon (edition 2012)

by Jacqueline Woodson

Collections:MHS Library, Read but unowned, Reviewed on my website
Rating:*
Tags:Addiction

Beneath a Meth Moon by Jacqueline Woodson

Crank by Ellen Hopkins (meggyweg)
    meggyweg: Two novels of meth addiction.

This book was absolutely fantastic! I loved it from the beginning to its end. Woodson allowed her readers to see the life of a drug addict from both first person and third person point of view. Her metaphorical writing showed the beauty of meth and how good it makes a feel. Then she shows the ugliness of meth and how damaging it can be to a person's life. Woodson asks her readers this question, "Why do people use drugs?" After reading this novel, I also asked the same question. Is the price of a high worth the cost of life? The message of this novel, "Life is too precious and too short to waste it on a deadly substance." ( )
  Kwatkins89 | Nov 25, 2013 |
Jaqueline Woodson delivers a real picture of what Meth does to a family in Beneath a Meth Moon. Laurel is a teenage girl who has suffered the loss of her mother and grandmother in Hurricane Katrina. Her father tries to put their family back together by moving her and her baby brother for a fresh start. She falls for a handsome boy, T-Boom, who introduces her to the world of Meth. Her world slowly starts to fall apart. Her friendships and family are put on the back burner as the drug takes its toll not only on Laurel, but also on what's left of her family. This book is a real life look at what drugs can do to destroy a family and the struggles that must be overcome in order to put it all back together again. ( )
  TabithaDickerson | Oct 6, 2013 |
The writing.. It's so tragically beautiful. That's all. There's an airiness to it that makes you feel as if..as if you are beneath a meth moon.. ( )
  tealightful | Sep 24, 2013 |
Woodson explores a girl's fall into meth addiction using both lyrical prose and a timeline that jerks and shifts. The contrast is affecting. While Laurel grieves the deaths of her mother and grandmother during the Katrina catastrophe, she dates a boy who lets her try meth. Woodson writes poetically of the drug's displacement of unwanted feelings while at the same time it jolts Laurel's life into a hurricane of its own.

As a reader I felt some frustration at the lack of depth given to supporting characters. I understand Laurel cared only about her next high - the people around her mattered to the degree that they aided or hindered her addiction. The story was Laurel's so there is logic in letting us see nothing but the exteriors of secondary players. Still, they seemed interesting and I'd have liked more about them. ( )
  MHuntWrites | Sep 23, 2013 |
Review from library copy

Very quick read. I have a hard time wrapping my head around the idea that a fourteen year old (or a nine year old mentioned in the book) could be stupid enough to try meth just to impress a boy. I'm really glad that this isn't realistic to me. I'm sure it happens, but I kind of always thought there was usually a pattern of abuse leading up to meth or heroin or things like that. And it's not even that her motivation for doing the drugs initially was the loss of her mom and grandma. It was to impress a basketball player. ( )
  kcarrigan | Aug 26, 2013 |
Before I traveled my road, I was my road...

~Antonio Porchia
This road...
for my mom and grandma, in memory
and for my sister, Odella
It's almost winter again and the cold moves through this town like water washing over us.

Laurel Daneau has moved on to a new life, in a new town, but inside she's still reeling from the loss of her beloved mother and grandmother after Hurricane Katrina washed away their home. Laurel's new life is going well, with a new best friend, a place on the cheerleading squad and T-Boom, co-captain of the basketball team, for a boyfriend. Yet Laurel is haunted by voices and memories from her past.

When T-Boom introduces Laurel to meth, she immediately falls under its spell, loving the way it erases, even if only briefly, her past. But as she becomes alienated from her friends and family, she becomes a shell of her former self, and longs to be whole again. With help from an artist named Moses and her friend Kaylee, she's able to begin to rewrite her story and start to move on from her addiction.

Incorporating Laurel's bittersweet memories of life before and during the hurricane, this is a stunning novel by one of our finest writers. Jacqueline Woodson's haunting - but ultimately hopeful - story is beautifully told and one readers will not want to miss.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:48:25 -0400)

"A young girl uses crystal meth to escape the pain of losing her mother and grandmother in Hurricane Katrina, and then struggles to get over her addiction"--

23 wanted1 pay12 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Beneath a Meth Moon by Jacqueline Woodson was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,630,603 books! | Top bar: Always visible