Advanced Placement Classroom: King Lear…

Advanced Placement Classroom: King Lear (Teaching Success Guide for the…

126768,668 (4)1

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Definitely useful for an AP class or even to help that advanced or gifted student in your regular class. There's a good variety of lessons, and I especially like the connections to other media, such as Robert Frost's poetry. The "Chapter Materials" sections are also nice, especially when they provide models of answers -- always helpful for students. Lear is a challenging play, and it's doubtful I'd be able to make use of all the options presented, but I can pick and choose what works best for my students. And it gives me ideas that I can develop for other Shakespeare plays. ( )
  LDVoorberg | Aug 10, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
First off, I don't currently have my copy of this book, because I handed it off to the person in charge of curriculum selection at the homeschool extension program where I teach; it'd be great if next years' new British Lit class used Lear as its Shakespeare selection, and it'd be even better if we used the worksheets and teaching ideas used in this book. As a new teacher in an unconventional program, I'm always looking for the best possible way to explore any given text, and this book has many great options for Lear--which just so happens to be my favorite Shakespearean drama. Lampert gives a plethora of ways to approach the book; one of the biggest problems I could forsee in using this book is trying to decide which are the best ones--there's more than enough in here, and all of it looks great!

One thing to note: this is definitely more at the upper high school level (11th to 12th, perhaps also 10th), although the book says it can be used for as low as 7th grade. I'm not sure King Lear, with its particularly weighty themes, would be a great fit for the average 7th grade classroom in any event; few of the worksheets and discussion ideas would translate well to a middle school classroom, at least not the one I teach.
  InfoQuest | Jan 3, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
"Advanced Placement Classroom: King Lear" is a valuable resource for any English teacher who is planning a unit on "King Lear." Lampert’s intelligent, practical ideas give teachers a way of helping students connect with the text and delve into the work. The book also provides an engaging refresher for a teacher who may be a bit rusty on the play.

The majority of the assignments and ideas are geared to juniors or seniors in high school and are designed with an eye towards the AP test. Most notably, there are multiple-choice quizzes in the style of the AP, and the writing chapter offers ideas for SAT and AP style writing assignments (there is also a section dedicated to adapting the assignments for an extended “college-length” analytical essay). Although the focus is on test preparation, Lampert also offers some ideas for incorporating reflective and creative activities. That said, I do agree with jdr857’s critique that the book would benefit from more “think outside the box” activities that allow for students to form their own interpretations based on the text.

As any teacher knows, even the best curriculum needs some alterations to take into account personal teacher style and the needs of the students, and I wouldn’t tell my students to use the materials and lesson plans in this book without reviewing them and making any needed changes. However, all in all, Lampert offers a solid blueprint for teachers preparing to teach King Lear. While it would be most helpful to AP teachers, some of the ideas could be modified easily for other levels and abilities. ( )
1 vote sweeks1980 | Dec 7, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Teachers are always looking for good resources, lesson ideas and approaches to topics. This book would be of great assistance to a teacher planning to teach King Lear, and may even persuade some to switch to this work from others. Lampert's work offers a lot of material for a bargain price. ( )
  Mazidi | Nov 23, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A really solid set of worksheets, questions, and assignments for a high school Lear class, that's what we've got here. I'm really pleased to add it to my library. Though I may not end up teaching AP as such, the contents here look like they would be an excellent supplement (or even basis!) for any unit based on the play. I really like the approach he uses - the vocabulary exploration worksheet, for one, may well pop up in any Shakespeare unit I teach. Good stuff! ( )
  Cynara | Nov 21, 2011 |

The Teaching Success Guide for the Advanced Placement Classroom series helps teachers motivate students above and beyond the norm by introducing investigative, hands-on activities, including debates, role-plays, experiments, projects, and more, all based on Advanced Placement and college-level standards for learning. King Lear is a user-friendly guide to teaching one of Shakespeare's classic plays and includes field-tested and proven methods for assigning daily interpretive readings, leading intriguing seminar discussions, and connecting the play to modern-day poetry and social media platforms, plus many more resources for enhancing the study of Shakespeare in Advanced Placement and pre-AP courses.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

's book Advanced Placement Classroom - King Lear was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Prufrock Press

An edition of this book was published by Prufrock Press.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,000,819 books! | Top bar: Always visible