Effective Program Practices for Underserved…

Effective Program Practices for Underserved Gifted Students: A CEC-TAG…

by Cheryll M. Adams

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A mere 50 pages of content. It's a basic overview of the subject = "gifted students in a not-privileged environment". If we assume that the reader is a teacher or administrator in such a school, then the small content quickly connects some dots, making the book VERY effective and practical in a K-5 environment.

For anybody else, including the parents of said children, it's a bit light because it's not in the context of common knowledge about education.

For the educator, it encourages to focus on abilities and potential, and not be afraid to challenge the students more. On the other hand, it gives some great ideas to reach out to the LD student, English learner etc (regardless of the Gifted status). ( )
  sophie65 | Jan 30, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Not a lot of new information here but a good survey of research of best practices here.
1 vote blancaflor | Oct 23, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I found this book helpful and very practical. It is short but it contains sample lessons that incorporate practices to help those who are underserved but it is good for all classes. I like how it ties Bloom's Taxonomy to the lessons with different questions for the lessons. Well worth it!
  despond | Aug 31, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I found the book, Effective Program Practices for Underserved Gifted Students, to have a number of good ideas and well-thought-out lesson plans and units. However, I was disappointed to find that it was primarily a rehashing of ideas that have been around in Gifted Programs for years. I would love to see something really new and innovative in that area. ( )
1 vote MrsEagle | Aug 7, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
As a teacher in a school with 72% free and reduced-price lunches and about 74% Hispanic students, this book definitely hits home. I see these underserved gifted students every day. This book was filled with tips that would help students K-12, though it is not specifically targeted to upper grades. I would like to write more, but our school's head counselor wants the book NOW!
  swingdancefan | Jan 10, 2012 |

Effective Program Practices for Underserved Gifted Students provides coordinators, teachers, administrators, and other interested parties information about effective program practices for underserved gifted students. In this book, the authors identify and discuss three broad areas of effective practices: differentiation, acceleration, and enrichment. In addition, practical ideas, sample lessons, and two units are provided in an effort to assist busy professionals with implementing effective practices with their students. A selected resource section is also included.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Cheryll M. Adams's book Effective Program Practices for Underserved Gifted Students was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Prufrock Press

An edition of this book was published by Prufrock Press.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,231,833 books! | Top bar: Always visible