Advanced Placement Classroom: Julius Caesar…

Advanced Placement Classroom: Julius Caesar (Teaching Success Guide for…

by Timothy Duggan Ed.D.

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is an awesome classroom resource! Though personally I would never use it as a main resource (only because it doesn't suit my teaching style), it is a great supplementary tool for those who like to make their own lesson plans, and an awesome guide for those who don't feel confident making their own plans. It does a good job of de-mystifying Shakespeare, and the classroom ideas are great! Would definitely recommend. ( )
  MissWoodhouse1816 | Feb 23, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Duggan's book does a wonderful job of tying together aspects of form, meter, theme, and dramatic performance. By deftly avoiding too much focus on critical interpretation, he has created a highly accessible teaching tool for AP literature students. Included in the volume are various group activities that allow students to understand the style and form of Shakespeare while allowing a level of plot and historic explanation that is sometimes necessary for younger readers that are new to Shakespeare. Modules in the book suggest topic discussions, group dramatic performances, history lessons, etc. as successful tools for bridging the gaps between Roman and Elizabethan politics and art, allowing students to play an active role in discovering the complex themes that tie this drama together.

As I do not deal with high school students, I unfortunately had little application for the book; however, it was quickly passed on to a good friend who s planning on integrating it into her classroom this school year. Perhaps I will add a more detailed, real world review once she gives me an idea of the positives and negatives she finds in putting the book into practice. Overall, however, I must say that it does seem rather promising as a method for introducing more complex Shakespeare tragedies to younger readers. Wonderful product so far. ( )
  JohnCrawford | Feb 19, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is a wonderful resource for anyone who is teaching Julius Caesar as well as those who want to enhance their own understanding of the play. The activities included are diverse and easily adapted to students of all abilities, despite the book being designated as a guide for Advanced Placement courses. I am currently teaching Julius Caesar to my Honors and Regular level 10th grade students and am finding this guide particularly helpful. ( )
  jcelrod | Jan 20, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A fair assessment of how to teach Julius Caesar to children. Both a book discussing topics of JC and the impact his work has on the world, and a narrative on teaching styles, the blend of both is almost indecipherable. Well used in classrooms, or as a companion to anyone reading Shakespeare. Enjoyable read, and should be picked up by school systems state wide. ( )
  kristincedar | Jan 12, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I have taught English courses (grades 7-12) for about six years in heterogeneous classrooms, where I’ve needed to differentiate instruction for advanced learners, English Language Learners, as well as learning disabled students who have been immersed in the mainstream classroom. Such rich classroom environments, I have learned, are sometimes challenging to mediate; however, when working with a diverse learning community and a challenging curriculum, the entire class benefits from thought provoking activities that provide multiple entry points into the curriculum.—Julius Caesar for the Advanced Placement Classroom provides such rich activities.

Upon receiving this unit guide in the mail, I began to read through it thinking that the activities would best serve advanced learners; however, I was pleasantly surprised to find that many of the activities that Duggan presents for the play can easily be sheltered for English Learners or learning disabled students. For example, the “Problem Situations” activity on pages sixty-six through sixty-eight is easily pared down for students who have only recently been mainstreamed; certainly, even students who are still developing their skills are best served by a curriculum that is challenging and connects new material to their own lived experiences—like the “Problem Situations” lesson.

What is also lovely about Julius Caesar for the Advanced Placement Classroom is that it livens up the stale curriculum of one of Shakespeare’s least appreciated (and shortest!) plays . . . and one that is the centerpiece of most textbook sets’ sophomore curriculum. With such engaging and easily adaptable lessons, Duggan has succeeded in making Julius Caesar more accessible for students and more thrilling for educators to teach.

I will also be purchasing another of the AP Classroom guides series for other Shakespeare texts I teach in my classroom. ( )
  fscottfitzjamie | Dec 23, 2011 |

The Teaching Success Guide for the Advanced Placement Classroom series helps teachers motivate students above and beyond the norm by introducing investigative, hands-on activities, including debates, role-plays, experiments, projects, and more, all based on Advanced Placement and college-level standards for learning. Julius Caesar allows teachers to take a fresh approach to one of Shakespeare's most famous plays by moving beyond basic history and memorization of quotes. Students will engage in performance approaches to the text, recreate the story's events in a news show format, participate in collaborative literature workshop activities, and debate whether Caesar could have prevented his assassination. The author also provides easy-to-use discussions of Shakespeare's language and how Julius Caesar can be studied from different critical perspectives.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Timothy Duggan Ed.D.'s book Advanced Placement Classroom - Julius Caesar was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Prufrock Press

An edition of this book was published by Prufrock Press.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,367,014 books! | Top bar: Always visible