Effective Curriculum for Underserved Gifted…

Effective Curriculum for Underserved Gifted Students: A CEC-TAG…

by Tamra Stambaugh

It is a great book that gives insight into the underserved students. I appreciated the various resources given and the websites given. While I wish there was more information for the upper grades, it is possible to adapt some of the information given.

This book has become a share-all book with several teachers asking to read it. However, I will say this, because of the jargon used it is for those working in the field of education. ( )
  Barbara_Ell | Jan 15, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I found the book Effective Curriculum for Underserved Gifted Students to be over my head; it is not a book for a parent or layman. It is meant for a specific target audience, i.e. the education provider for underserved gifted students. The volume is slim and quite dense in its information. It does not provide practical lists of steps to take, but rather, resources and methods from which the experienced educator can draw to develop a curriculum that will meet the needs of diverse populations of gifted students (for example, minority or impoverished students that would otherwise not be identified.) As I am not the target audience, I found the book boring beyond words. I will pass it along to the TAG coordinator for our school district. I'm sure she will find it useful. ( )
  kschloss | Jan 7, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
EFFECTIVE CURRICULUM FOR UNDERSERVED GIFTED STUDENTS discusses the challenges facing educators who seek to support gifted students from a variety of cultural backgrounds. Students from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds are identified as gifted much less frequently than are students from mainstream backgrounds; the authors explain some of the common beliefs that lead to misidentification and suggest mechanisms for evaluating giftedness appropriately, in particular for children of poverty.

The book begins with an overview of the subject and defines key terms, including concepts such as scaffolding of learning and non-verbal indicators of giftedness. It then surveys several specific curricular strategies that may produce effective outcomes. (Some of this content is particular to the United States and may not translate to other jurisdictions.) It then concludes with a list of suggestions for parents, teachers, policy-makers, and others to advocate for and support gifted learners of all types. Much of the information is presented in point form or as tips, for easy uptake. The chapters are very short; this book may be read in short sittings or consulted section by section as needed.

EFFECTIVE CURRICULUM FOR UNDERSERVED GIFTED STUDENTS provides a solid overview of the issues, but is an introduction only. Those seeking more developed, sustained discussion will need to consult other resources, such as those listed in the appendix or beyond. However, for those just becoming familiar with services for gifted students — especially students from poor backgrounds or from non-English-speaking homes — the book may offer some welcome support and direction.

Note: This is a scholarly text, with extensive citations and an academic apparatus. It is not a how-to book nor a book intended for casual reading. Its audience is narrow and specific, and the text may not be relevant to readers outside of academia.
  laVermeer | Dec 27, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I passed this book on to a teacher we know at our local middle school. I can't speak for the workings of their curriculum but I can say the book was well received and this particular teacher was most anxious to read and hopefully put into practice the methods described in this book.
  totsgram | Dec 26, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I read through the thin text (66 pages aside from the extensive references) of Effective Curriculum for Underserved Gifted Students which I won from LTER in three sittings. I normally would read such a small volume all at once, but frankly, I kept dozing off. To be fair, the book was not at all what I expected when I requested it. I am a middle school teacher working in a school which has no real gifted ed. program. Individual teachers are expected to differentiate curriculum in order to serve gifted (and other special needs) children. I feel some of our students are "underserved gifted students." After reading the first page of Stambaugh and Chandler's book, I realized my mistake. They were referring to gifted children with minority cultural and linguistic backgrounds in a school with a gifted program. Working in a school with a huge ESL population with a large number of cultures represented, I still felt that the book could be helpful to me.

I plodded through the first chapter, almost a full 1/4 of the book, which defined the terms and concepts of the following chapters, in the hopes that the remainder of the book would give me insights and help improve my teaching strategies. I was encouraged by the title of chapter two: Research-based Curriculum and Instructional Strategies for CLD Learners. I was sorely disappointed. Continuing with the heavy academic jargon and constant citing of research sources of the previous section (great for a research paper - unbearable for enjoyable reading), chapter two listed the statistics of a number of studies that were done to judge effectiveness of education on culturally diverse learners. I found nothing in the chapter (or those that followed) that any decent teacher doesn't already do for all students: Scaffold learning to lead to higher level thinking. This book is marketed as a "CEC-TAG Educational Resource." It is more like a graduate level research paper turned in as someone's project for a gifted education pedagogy class. In the real world, I can't imagine anyone finding the information in this book helpful. ( )
  JGoto | Dec 17, 2011 |

Effective Curriculum for Underserved Gifted Students explains the need for a differentiated curriculum for gifted students typically underrepresented in gifted programs, including children of poverty and those who are from culturally and linguistically diverse populations. Features of research-based curriculum found to be effective in enhancing the academic achievement of these populations are highlighted. In addition, practical, evidence-based strategies for curriculum development and instruction are shared.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Tamra Stambaugh's book Effective Curriculum for Underserved Gifted Students was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Prufrock Press

An edition of this book was published by Prufrock Press.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,541,737 books! | Top bar: Always visible