Ghosts of Our Pasts by Sophia Duane

Ghosts of Our Pasts

by Sophia Duane

2012 (1) 9/11 (2) ARC (1) Early Reviewers (2) ebook (2) Elonex (1) GF (1) indie (1) love (1) LTER (1) New York (1) October 2011 (1) romance (1) struggle (1) TWCS (1) wine (1)

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I tried this book once before, but wasn't in the right (romantic) mood. Now I tried it again, but the story still doesn't get me. It is not badly written, but the characters don't feel real to me. I've read about a quarter of the book, but I'm not going to finish it. This is just not my cup of tea... ( )
  TessaSlingerland | Jun 27, 2012 |
Beautifully written.

This author has an amazing ability to write about emotions - I was gripped by her style and drawn through the book, constantly in awe of her skill.

Two residents of New York, Emily, the owner of a gourmet food shop and Will, a florist, are united by Emily's suggestion that they join resources to offer food and flowers in one delivery. There is an instant attraction but both have ghosts in their pasts that must be overcome before they can move on.

In fact, not a lot happens. The strength of the novel is the unraveling of this relationship, but it is so beautifully written that it drew me along effortlessly until I lost interest a bit near the end.

I see Ms Duane has a second novel out, 'My Only', and I shall most certainly be purchasing this. Hopefully this one will will combine her marvelous way with words with a bit more action - that would be the perfect book. ( )
  DubaiReader | Apr 4, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I really enjoyed this story once past the morose first few chapters and the big sigh of the unoriginality of using the surname Darcy for the main male character. Disappointing!!! I liked the way clues were given slowly to unravel the mystery to the reader of what the main characters had experienced in their past to make them who they are at the beginning of the story. I am guessing Ms Duane has experienced this type of loss because of the intimate and very detailed thoughts, feelings and reactions of Will and Emily through out their journey of getting to know one another. If she hasn't then I am more impressed of her writing of these characters. The character development was such that I really felt I knew them well. Not having lived this particular trauma that is addressed in Ghost of Our Pasts, I wonder if the book would be of value to those who are living the consequences of this event. Maybe. ( )
  TinaC1 | Feb 11, 2012 |
From Early reviewers. BEWARE *might contain spoilers*

The story started rather slowly and I think that the writer abused a bit about some cliches.

The always slender and beautiful blond girl, Emily, barely 25, who is a successful businesswoman, who owns a loft in NY Soho, who is oversexed and cool with it...she seems 40 rather than 25. Too in control of the situation.

But the has-it-all-girl has her dark secret: she didn't let herself grieve properly for the death of his father, a fireman killed in action on the 11th of September.

Then, there is the damaged and closed soul, Will Darcy (did she have to choose THAT name? sorry, but I feel rather protective of Austen's characters and I think they shouldn't be used that easily).

Will, at 33, dark, handsome and muscular. Still in love with his deceased fiancee, who died coincidentally ten years ago at the same terrorist attack, and who is still grieving, shut off from the world, living in the past, still blaming himself.

So yes, Will and Emily find each other and start healing together, although I don't understand the urge of getting drunk every night they meet, it's almost as if the writer presented a good image of using drugs and drinking to find solace.

As I said, full of cliches.

But then, in spite of these setbacks , you can't avoid being pulled in by the lives of these characters. They are well developed and Mrs. Duane gives little by little bits of their respective stories in a subtle and touching way. It's also nice to witness how each character discovers their connection which comes with hope and a possible future together where they can heal together.

All in all an entertaining reading, but not a great masterpiece. ( )
  Luli81 | Jan 18, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I started this ebook with a bit of uncertainty as the first chapter didn't quite grab me and actually put me off a bit as every sentence seem to start with "she"; i.e., she did this, she thought this. Well, it didn't take long for the story to grab me. I was halfway through the book when I finally went to bed.

This is essentially a story about damaged people, unable to let go of the past. The main characters and the people around them all lost someone in the Twin Towers. Additionally, one of the characters was there and survived. Emily can see how the loss of her father has affected her mother and her brother and feels she knows exactly what they must do to move on. She is surprised to learn that her own damage is affecting her perceptions. Will knows he is damaged and needs to change. He also knows he doesn't want to move forward, even though living in the past is affecting his familial relationships and his business. During the course of the story we learn how each character sees the damage done to the others and comes to understand their own loss. It's a different love story and one I would recommend.
  ShazInNV | Jan 13, 2012 |
From Early reviewers. BEWARE *might contain spoilers*

As I said, full of cliches.

All in all an entertaining reading, but not a great masterpiece.
added by Luli81 | editEarly Reviewers, Luli81 (Dec 10, 2011)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Sophia Duane's book Ghosts of Our Pasts was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,863,970 books! | Top bar: Always visible