Diary of a Witchcraft Shop by Liz Williams

Diary of a Witchcraft Shop

by Liz Williams, Trevor Jones

191537,190 (3)2
    Coarse Witchcraft: Craft Working by Rupert Percy (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: A similar look at the oddities that occur within the pagan/witchcraft communities.

This was the chosen book for a reading group in which I sometimes participate.

Essentially it is a diary of the lives of the owners of a witchcraft shop in Glastonbury, England: their day-to-day lives; and their encounters with personalities. Though in diary format, following a whole year, the entries are not all from the same year.

The diary very well written: not to heavy, not too light. The diary format made it easier for me to pick up and put down when other matters took precedence. It was a quick read for me.

The promotional blurbs, synopses, and reviews would have you believe this is a humourous look at the oddities that sometimes converge on Glastonbury and, more particularly, in a witchcraft/occult shop. I was expecting to be as fun a read as Coarse Witchcraft: Craft Working, a book released a few years ago now which was a funny look at witches and pagans. Whereas, the situations in Coarse Witchcraft: Craft Working were based on real events, and all personalities remained anonymous throughout, this was not the case in Diary of a Witchcraft Shop.

Too few of the diary entries raised a smile; far more raised an eyebrow. There were some comments made in this book that I personally felt crossed the line; opinions perhaps best aired among friends, or in private forums like AF, rather than copied from a diary to a published book. These entries detracted from the book's (expected?) lightness, occasionally giving the impression of a tool to vent.

I also found the use of both real names (both first and last), and initials puzzling. I'm not sure providing an initial would guarantee anonymity in a small village, or community, so why not use a pseudonym instead? Real names were provided for the well-known, either to the general public or the pagan community.

Included are notes about attending old college dinners, and pagan events, that held little interest for me.

I felt Diary of a Witchcraft Shop could have been a much more enjoyable book, but it missed the mark. Other than those with a curiousity about Liz and Trevor's lives, Diary of a Witchcraft Shop isn't just worth the time. ( )
  Sile | Dec 18, 2012 |

Liz Williamsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Jones, Trevormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Billington, ArthurIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,449,919 books! | Top bar: Always visible