Unraveled by Courtney Milan

Unraveled

by Courtney Milan

Smite Turner is a magistrate in Bristol. Due to his upbringing, he is one of the few judges who deal fairly with the poorer citizens. When Miranda Darling appears before him as a witness, his interest is caught. It doesn't take long before he and Miranda are involved.
I admit I've devoured this series. I had the first book on my reader for a while and finally got around to reading it. The writing and the characters drew me in and I've quickly gone through the next two books. The Turner brothers are interesting and the women they picked, while not always suitable to society, are perfect for each of them. They are strong and intelligent.
I do love the way Ms. Milan always gives her plot an extra twist, varying from the usual historical formulas. I never guess her endings (not the HEA, that's a given) but they're always believable and make perfect sense. Smite is so stoic and Miranda is a joyful person despite her living conditions; they make a perfect pair.
I'm sorry the series ended, but it has been a great read. ( )
  N.W.Moors | Jul 16, 2018 |
Miranda Darling is a quick witted wig-maker with a talent for accents. Smite Turner is the cold and precise magistrate who notices she's lying during a court case. It turns out, their oddities match up very well.

I was amazed at how much I enjoyed this book. It's enjoyable for any book, but downright fantastic for an early Victorian romance. First off, there isn't a ball in sight--their love affair blossoms during conversations about the nature of justice, judgmental comments during bad productions of Shakespeare, and a bout of blackmail from a self-appointed King of Thieves. The characters felt unique and had depth; they have actual struggles and communicate about things beyond just their affection for each other. Both Smite and Miranda have gone through frightening and traumatic experiences, but although they're open about how those experiences inform their current circumstances (Smite in particular, the very definition of an Iron Woobie) they also appreciate the person those experiences has made them; they each refuse to be pitied or feel pitiful, but instead try to be stronger and more useful.

All in all, a book I'm really glad I picked up. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
great read again! Why I am not surprised? :) ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
Love Smite and Miranda was perfect! ( )
  BookaholicCat | Mar 4, 2015 |
Gosh, I Loved this book. I did have to keep reminding myself that it was a romance and I would get my happy ending dog-gone-it!!

I have gotten to a point where the innocent-forced-into-mistress-status kind of stresses me. I guess because I can see that happening more often than I want to think about, and how is a heroine forced into that situation supposed to not be victimized by the hero?? But Milan did an awesome job of keeping me from absolutely cringing at the idea and then even making me think that for this hero & heroine it works.

Smite deserves someone who will see him for the survivor he is. The one who stands in the gap - and I totally see Miranda standing with him - holding him up when he feels like he could falter. ( )
  CupcakeMom | Jan 29, 2014 |

Smite Turner is renowned for his single-minded devotion to his duty as a magistrate. But behind his relentless focus lies not only a determination to do what is right, but the haunting secrets of his past—secrets that he is determined to hide, even if it means keeping everyone else at arm’s length. Until the day an irresistible woman shows up as a witness in his courtroom…

Miranda Darling isn’t in trouble…yet. But she’s close enough that when Turner threatens her with imprisonment if she puts one foot wrong, she knows she should run in the other direction. And yet no matter how forbidding the man seems on the outside, she can’t bring herself to leave. Instead, when he tries to push her away, she pushes right back—straight through his famous self-control, and into the heart of the passion that he has long hidden away…

Part of the author's Turner series, the novel is set in Bristol, England in the 1840s and surrounds the activities of a magistrate, Smite Turner known as Lord Justice, and Miranda Darling, a witness in one of his cases that was presented in his courtroom.… (more)

Courtney Milan is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,805,872 books! | Top bar: Always visible