Bangkok 8 by John Burdett

Bangkok 8 (original 2003; edition 2004)

by John Burdett

Member:mobamoba
Title:Bangkok 8
Authors:John Burdett
Info:Vintage (2004), Paperback, 336 pages
Collections:Read, EC
Rating:***
Tags:Mystery

Bangkok 8 by John Burdett (2003)

English (49)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (52)
An entertaining crime novel set in Bangkok with genuinely interesting characters. I read it during a trip to Thailand. ( )
  M_Clark | Apr 10, 2016 |
Captures the look and feel of Bangkok better than any other novel I've read. Also, a must read to learn of some of the culture shocks that will be faced by the typical "farang" (foreigner) who thinks they will actually be able to live there. The main character's brutally honest mother makes for great comic relief. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
Couldn't finish this because the author's portrayal of Thai people, language and culture seems off to me. I would be interested to hear from another Thai speaking person who have read this book. ( )
  apatt | Dec 26, 2015 |
The weirdly beautiful thing about this book is that it weaves a decent bit of Thai social commentary into a guilty pleasure kind of detective pulp novel. I picked this up at a thrift store for 99 cents and got more than my money's worth. ( )
1 vote laurustina | Jan 14, 2015 |
Just couldn't get into the story. Too focused on Thailand cliches and not enough on the story. The writing style was a big turnoff for me as well. ( )
  csayban | Dec 30, 2014 |
Impeccably researched, this is sometimes poetic, often exotic, and totally hardcore
added by laurakozasvili | editDailly Mirror

Read this book, savour the language - it's the last and most compelling word in thrillers
added by laurakozasvili | editJames Ellroy

A fantastic new thriller with an avenging Buddhist cop as its central character
added by laurakozasvili | editMail on Sunday

Cracking East meets West thriller introducing a half-Thai, half-American cop whose Buddhist beliefs are as important as his forensic skills. Terrific
added by laurakozasvili | editObserver

A stunning thriller. Suspense at its best
added by laurakozasvili | editJeffery Deaver

Like all the men of Babylon, I have been proconsul; like all, I have been a slave. I have known omnipotence, ignominy, imprisonment. Look here - my right hand has no index finger. - Jorge Luis Borges, 'The Lottery in Babylon'

In the whole world there is no-one who does not welcome it like reason. - Confucius, talking about jade
For Sofía
The African American marine in the gray Mercedes will soon die of bites from Naja siamensis, but we don't know that yet, Pichai and I (the future is impenetrable, says the Buddha).

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0552771406, Paperback)

When a U.S. Marine is killed in Bangkok, the task of finding the murderer falls to Detective Sonchai Jitpleecheep, seemingly the only member of the Royal Thai Police Force whose idea of justice precludes his fellow officers' customary system of bribery. This assignment's especially important to the devout detective for during the investigation of the murder scene, the methamphetamine-stoked snakes that bit the marine also kill Sonchai's police partner, best friend, and Buddhist soul-mate Pichai. Sonchai's pursuit of revenge will team him with a sexually frustrated FBI agent and leave them at the mercy of yaa-baa-fueled motorcycle-taxi drivers as they hurtle through neon-lit Bangkok and into the labyrinthine and deadly machinations of the international jade and drug trades in search of the killer.

As Sonchai himself notes at one point, "This isn't a whodunit, is it?" And, no, it isn't, but author John Burdett (A Personal History of Thirst, The Last Six Million Seconds) infuses the plot with enough suspense, detail, and dry Asian insight to keep readers rapt as the story careens about the bars and brothels of Thailand's flesh trade, through its cut-rate plastic surgery parlors, and ends in a climax with a fittingly Buddhist twist. Bangkok 8 is highly recommended for readers in the mood for Thai. --Benjamin Reese

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:50 -0400)

Bangkok policeman Sonchai Jitplecheep investigates the murder of an African American Marine sergeant and the subsequent death of his partner, making his way through a world of illicit drugs and corruption to find a vicious killer.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,909,800 books! | Top bar: Always visible