The Odds: A Love Story by Stewart O'Nan

The Odds: A Love Story (edition 2012)

by Stewart O'Nan

Member:BALE
Title:The Odds: A Love Story
Authors:Stewart O'Nan
Info:Viking, Published by Penguin Group (2012), Hard-cover Edition, 179pages
Collections:Read, Your library
Rating:***1/2

The Odds: A Love Story by Stewart O'Nan

This was very good but since I read this immediately on finishing Emily, Alone, comparisons were inevitable and I enjoyed Emily, Alone more.

That said, he writes beautifully about ordinary people leading ordinary lives but scratches beneath the surface to reveal the hidden interior life.

I'll definitely read more O'Nan novels but not so close together. ( )
  janb37 | Feb 13, 2017 |
This was an enjoyable "on the way to vacation" read, but I felt the ending was abrupt and contrived. I feel like Mr. O'Nan gave up. ( )
  Adam.Anderson | Dec 9, 2016 |
I liked this. O"Nan is adept at character development and relationships. Marion and Art are on verge of losing their home,bankruptcy and celebrating the anniversary of their troubled marriage. They go back to Niagara Falls where they spent their honeymoon. They plan to risk everything in the casino.The failures of their lives hanging over them.This is a short read of love,acceptance endurance.Loved the scenes at the Heart concert and surprisingly, the BIG gambling scene had me on the edge of my seat. This book and "Wish you were here" take place in the region I live in. I love O'Nan's accuracy and his love and honest portrayal of places featured in his books.Excellent writing-interesting story.I loved and disliked both Art and Marion throughout the story,but ultimately liked them as they struggled to face their future. ( )
  LauGal | Aug 16, 2016 |
Wonderful look at a marriage in a completely unique story line. ( )
  mamashepp | Mar 29, 2016 |
Wonderful look at a marriage in a completely unique story line. ( )
  mamashepp | Mar 29, 2016 |
"Readers of contemporary literary fiction should enjoy the subtle dry humor and a story that gains momentum and pitches toward a satisfying, if somewhat ambiguous happy ending."
added by Christa_Josh | editLibrary Journal, Christine DeZelar-Tiedman (Nov 1, 2011)

The novels of American author Stewart O’Nan – he has written about a dozen – are models of craftsmanship, empathy, psychological insight and social acumen. ....O’Nan’s prose is agile, light and utterly unself-conscious. Very contemporary. At the same time, his superb rendering of psychological drama recalls 19th-century novelists like George Eliot. He has good fun with this story. While the couple prepare for their big gamble, Art does his best to create a honeymoon atmosphere. Out of pity and exhaustion, Marion humours him......And about halfway through the novel, we begin to hope they can work things out. What are the odds?

The wheel of fortune/ goes spinning round/Will the arrow point my way?/Will this be the day?/O wheel of fortune/don't pass me by/Let me know the magic of/a kiss and a sigh/While the wheel is spinning, spinning, spinning/I'll not dream of winning/fortune or fame/While the wheel is turning/turning/turning/I'll be ever yearning/for love's precious flame/O wheel of fortune/I'm hoping somehow/if you'll ever smile on me/please let it be now. - Dinah Washington
The final weekend of their marriage, hounded by insolvency, indecision, and, stupidly, half secretly, in the never-distant past ruled by memory, infidelity, Art and Marion Fowler fled the country.

In the new novel from the author of Last Night at the Lobster, a middle-age couple goes all in for love at a Niagara Falls casino

Stewart O'Nan's thirteenth novel is another wildly original, bittersweet gem like his celebrated Last Night at the Lobster. Valentine's weekend, Art and Marion Fowler flee their Cleveland suburb for Niagara Falls, desperate to recoup their losses. Jobless, with their home approaching foreclosure and their marriage on the brink of collapse, Art and Marion liquidate their savings account and book a bridal suite at the Falls' ritziest casino for a second honeymoon. While they sightsee like tourists during the day, at night they risk it all at the roulette wheel to fix their finances-and save their marriage. A tender yet honest exploration of faith, forgiveness and last chances, The Odds is a reminder that love, like life, is always a gamble.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:44 -0400)

"A middle aged couple goes all in for love at a Niagara Falls casino"--

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,371,792 books! | Top bar: Always visible