The Odds: A Love Story by Stewart O'Nan

The Odds: A Love Story (edition 2012)

by Stewart O'Nan

Title:The Odds: A Love Story
Authors:Stewart O'Nan
Info:Viking, Published by Penguin Group (2012), Hard-cover Edition, 179pages
Collections:Read, Your library

The Odds: A Love Story by Stewart O'Nan

The odds of liking this book: 1 in 4

Each chapter in this short book starts by giving the odds of something happening, so I attempted to guess the odds that people would like this book. It tells the story of a couple married for thirty years who are facing bankruptcy in the financial sense due to job loss and in the marital sense due to an impending divorce. The husband convinces his wife to take all of their remaining money out of the bank and go to Niagara Falls, the site of their honeymoon. He hopes to save their marriage and rekindle romance with lavish meals, accommodations and gifts. He hopes to save their finances with a plan of risking it all and beating the odds at the Canadian casino.
What are the odds that you will read this book to find out if it worked?
  TheresaCIncinnati | Aug 17, 2015 |
A nice, short, story of a marriage and 21st century foibles. ( )
  Phyllis.Mann | Jul 13, 2015 |
I understand what Mr. O'Nan is trying to do here but unfortunately for me the characters do not endear themselves to me. He is to clingy and she is to bitchy. I have been married over 30 years and have experienced great losses and the strain on a marriage is great. Some will fail and some survive but for me Mr. O'Nan did not give me a reason to cheer for this couple at all. At times I was hoping the husband would be relieved of his burden of a downer of a wife. It's a small book and a quick read so maybe that is why something was lost on me. I could have done without this read. ( )
  theeccentriclady | Jul 10, 2015 |
O'Nan's writing is compelling and believable, as are his characters. True to form, The Odds is beautifully written and smartly paced, moving through a struggling couple's weekend with both grace and humor. If anything, the couple and the plotting are too believable--familiar, pedestrian, and so easy to accept. Yet, O'Nan's style and flawless language make the read a fast and interesting one, translating life onto the page so simply that there's nothing there to be doubted.

All together, the story perhaps isn't one that will stick with me, but I'm left (as always) with an appreciation for O'Nan's care for language. ( )
  whitewavedarling | May 10, 2015 |
First book by this author that I have read. Loved his writing style and storyline was ok. ( )
  shigaki | Apr 25, 2015 |
"Readers of contemporary literary fiction should enjoy the subtle dry humor and a story that gains momentum and pitches toward a satisfying, if somewhat ambiguous happy ending."
added by Christa_Josh | editLibrary Journal, Christine DeZelar-Tiedman (Nov 1, 2011)
The novels of American author Stewart O’Nan – he has written about a dozen – are models of craftsmanship, empathy, psychological insight and social acumen. ....O’Nan’s prose is agile, light and utterly unself-conscious. Very contemporary. At the same time, his superb rendering of psychological drama recalls 19th-century novelists like George Eliot. He has good fun with this story. While the couple prepare for their big gamble, Art does his best to create a honeymoon atmosphere. Out of pity and exhaustion, Marion humours him......And about halfway through the novel, we begin to hope they can work things out. What are the odds?

In the new novel from the author of Last Night at the Lobster, a middle-age couple goes all in for love at a Niagara Falls casino

Stewart O'Nan's thirteenth novel is another wildly original, bittersweet gem like his celebrated Last Night at the Lobster. Valentine's weekend, Art and Marion Fowler flee their Cleveland suburb for Niagara Falls, desperate to recoup their losses. Jobless, with their home approaching foreclosure and their marriage on the brink of collapse, Art and Marion liquidate their savings account and book a bridal suite at the Falls' ritziest casino for a second honeymoon. While they sightsee like tourists during the day, at night they risk it all at the roulette wheel to fix their finances-and save their marriage. A tender yet honest exploration of faith, forgiveness and last chances, The Odds is a reminder that love, like life, is always a gamble.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:44 -0400)

"A middle aged couple goes all in for love at a Niagara Falls casino"--

16 wanted2 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,834,183 books! | Top bar: Always visible