The Age of Miracles: A Novel by Karen…

The Age of Miracles: A Novel (edition 2012)

by Karen Thompson Walker, Emily Janice Card (Reader)

Member:RBeffa
Title:The Age of Miracles: A Novel
Authors:Karen Thompson Walker
Other authors:Emily Janice Card (Reader)
Info:Random House Audio (2012), Edition: Unabridged, Audio CD
Collections:Read but unowned, community library, audiobook
Rating:***
Tags:coming of age, dystopia

The Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walker

Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer (chazzard)
    The Dog Stars by Peter Heller (KatyBee)
    The Sunlight Pilgrims: A Novel by Jenni Fagan (KatyBee)
    The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Despite differences in plot -- a teenager's post-murder afterlife in The Lovely Bones, and civilization's slow, steady collapse in the aftermath of disaster in The Age of Miracles -- the thoughtful young heroines of these melancholy, haunting stories are similar to one another.… (more)
    California by Edan Lepucki (pbirch01)
    pbirch01: Both books deal with living in California after a major environmental change and how to bring normalcy to uncertain times.
    Phoenix Rising by Karen Hesse (SylviaC)
    The Rest is Silence by Scott Fotheringham (ShelfMonkey)
    In Zanesville by Jo Ann Beard (hairball)
    Salvation City by Sigrid Nunez (bluenotebookonline)

English (286)  Dutch (2)  German (2)  All (1)  Hungarian (1)  All (292)
I don't think it would be possible to enjoy this any more than I did. Marvelous.
  chronic | Mar 23, 2017 |
A fast easy read - Didn't live up to the hype of reviewers in the paperback edition, but I liked the creative premise of the rotation of the earth slowing down with its many inevitable complications, as seen through the eyes of an 11 year old girl. I finished reading the book in a few hours and it probably won't stick with me, but it was a fun way to spend a lazy Sunday afternoon. ( )
  njinthesun | Mar 19, 2017 |
Five for the narration, 3 for the story. I had to listen to an Audie Award winning book for my Book Riot Reading Challenge this year. I scanned years of award winners, looking for books I had not already read, but were on my TBR list. A short list became a very short list when I searched our local library system, so this was the one. The narration was outstanding, and this is from a person that frequently complains about young female narrators. It's funny, but this is actually the kind of book I was expecting when I read Close Your Eyes, Hold Hands. This story is not new...young girl becoming an adolescent, experiences changes in friendships, first love, loss, learns some adult lessons..and so on. But how to keep that fresh? Why not have the Earth start to die? That was the interesting part for me, since I'm not a big fan of coming of age stories, or stories where no one is happy for more than 30 seconds.....So thumbs down on the YA drama, and thumbs up on the sci-fi-ish world-wide environmental disaster changing things forever. ( )
  MaureenCean | Mar 12, 2017 |
This YA story is actually a solid 3.5. I didn't love it, but I definitely enjoyed it and have placed it on my daughters book shelf to read. ( )
  lynnski723 | Dec 31, 2016 |
"The Age of Miracles"? More like: "The Age of Disasters"! Before I get into why I say that, I'll elaborate on what the book is about. First off, it's actually a very well written book. it's told from the point of view of a middle school aged girl and the events in the story take place are told through her perspective. Everything was fine, until the days started to get longer. First it was only by a few minutes everyday, then it escalated to half an hour, then a full hour, then hours, until people who were stuck on the side of the hemisphere facing the Sun found that the suns hostile rays make the outside world totally inhospitable. people were forced to permanently take refuge inside their household as a slight reprieve to escape a heat-related death.

The reason I call it "The Age of Disasters" is because of how terribly things spiral out of control. Everyday lives are thrown out of whack as people scramble to reorient themselves into their new reality. I went into the book having almost no prior knowledge about its plot. I thought it would be a lot happier than what it was on account of it having the word "Miracles" in the title. And boy was I wrong.

The ending of this book doesn't even come close to the word "bittersweet." It's just plain bitter to me. It doesn't delve too deeply into the fate of humanity, but a 20 year time-skip does show you what becomes of the main character and her family, sans her love interest who she hasn't seen since the suns powerful rays gave him cancer and forced him to move to new mexico for treatment. They promised that they'd keep in touch, and meant it, but due to unknown reasons the letters the main character sent to him were never returned and they never saw one another again. My guess is that the treatment failed and he didn't survive, or maybe they never made it to new mexico at all.

This is a great, albeit depressing book.
added by morgan434 | editReading the actual book, who else? Me (Apr 17, 2015)

What sets the story apart from more run-of-the-mill high-concept novels is Ms. Walker’s decision to recount the unfolding catastrophe from the perspective of Julia, who is on the verge of turning 12. Her voice turns what might have been just a clever mash-up of disaster epic with sensitive young-adult, coming-of-age story into a genuinely moving tale that mixes the real and surreal, the ordinary and the extraordinary with impressive fluency and flair.

“The Age of Miracles” is not without its flaws. There are moments when the spell the author has so assiduously created wobbles, and moments when a made-for-Hollywood slickness seeps into the story. Some minor plot developments feel as if they had been created simply for pacing, and Ms. Walker sometimes seems so determined to use Julia’s circumscribed life as a microcosm of the larger world that the reader has to be reminded that “the slowing” is supposedly a planet-altering phenomenon.
added by ozzer | editNYTimes, MICHIKO KAKUTANI (Jun 18, 2012)

Karen Thompson Walkerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Card, Emily Janicemain authorall editionsconfirmed
Here in the last minutes, the very end of the world,
someone's tightening a screw thinner than an eyelash,
someone with slim wrists is straightening flowers...

Another End of the World, James Richardson
For my parents and for Casey
We didn't notice right away.

We did not sense at first the extra time, bulging from the smooth edge of each day like a tumor blooming beneath skin.
Sometimes the saddest stories take the fewest words...

(from the publisher)
On a seemingly ordinary Saturday in a California suburb, twelve-year-old Julia and her family awake to discover, along with the rest of the world, that the rotation of the earth has suddenly begun to slow.  Amidst this altered environment, Julia also faces a new kind of transformation – growing up.  Coping with the normal disasters of everyday life (the loss of friends, struggles in her parents’ marriage, and the anguish of first love) she grapples to find her way on a changing world.

Imagines the coming-of-age story of young Julia, whose world is thrown into upheaval when it is discovered that the Earth's rotation has suddenly begun to slow, posing a catastrophic threat to all life.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walker was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,298,818 books! | Top bar: Always visible