Death Comes to Pemberley by P. D. James

Death Comes to Pemberley

by P. D. James

2,2322092,882 (3.04)263

English (204)  French (2)  Spanish (1)  Swedish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (209)
I don't remember being too terribly impressed with the crafting of this story: a bit over-done, but a good mystery. Miniseries looks really good though... ( )
  margaret.pinard | Jul 24, 2014 |
I will start out by saying that I am NOT a Jane Austen fanatic. I have read "Pride and Prejudice" and enjoyed it, but I do not live and die by her works.

So this book didn't hurt my feelings like it seems to have done for so many others. Yes, this book lacked the depth of characters seen in P&P, and the mystery was sort of looking the reader in the face, but it was not a complete loss. It was a fluff read. Nothing challenging, no heavy lifting, just something to attempt to take us back to the day of hack-chaises and a rather lackluster law system.

Did it keep me up at night? No, and that's sad.
Did it make me want to beat my head off the wall out of frustration? No! So, really it's not a total loss. ( )
  katemiller1724 | Jul 18, 2014 |
I greatly enjoyed how PD James, whose detective mysteries I have enjoyed for years, used her considerable talents to update "Pride and Prejudice" in such a clever way. ( )
  Maggie.Anton | Jul 18, 2014 |
I picked this up at BookCrossing Meetup but it was not registered, reminder to self to add link once I register it. I come at this with great trepidation but if anyone can carry off a Pride and Prejudice follow up, perhaps it is P.D. James.
  amyem58 | Jul 9, 2014 |
Like other reviewers, I had somewhat low expectations given the published reviews I had read. I was pleasantly surprised and thoroughly enjoyed this book. I look forward to next week's bookclub discussions. It had some interesting twists that I had not expected and the writing is terrific. I would recommend this to any fans of Jane Austen and P.D. James. It is helpful to have read Austen's works before reading this one and for those who have read Austen, it will likely make them want to reread them. PS I love the Little Miss Austen series for preschoolers and early readers -- If you have kids or grandkids, these are a great addition to your home library and will get children interested in these classics from an early age. The text is by Jennifer Adams and artwork by Alison Oliver. ( )
  Jcambridge | Jun 27, 2014 |
. . . an excellent period mystery, replete with all manner of mayhem, and a most welcome way to revisit Elizabeth and Darcy. . .
added by 4leschats | editBookPage, Sukey Howard (Apr 1, 2012)

P. D. Jamesprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ragnhild EikliTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Trond Peter Stamsø MunchNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is a (non-series) sequel to

To Joyce McLennan
Friend and personal assistant who has typed my novels for thirty-five years
With affection and gratitude
It was generally agreed by the female residents of Meryton that Mr and Mrs Bennett of Longbourn had been fortunate in the disposal in marriage of four of their five daughters.
Author's note:
I owe an apology to the shade of Jane Austen for involving her beloved Elizabeth in the trauma of a murder investigation, especially as in the final chapter of Mansfield Park Miss Austen made her views quite plain: 'Let other pens dwell on guilt and misery. I quit such odious subjects as soon as I can, impatient to restore everybody not greatly in fault themselves to tolerable comfort, and to have done with all the rest.' No doubt she would have replied to my apology by saying that, had she wished to dwell on such odious subjects, she would have written this story herself, and done it better.
Originally published: London : Faber and Faber, 2011.

It is 1803, six years since Elizabeth and Darcy embarked on their life together at Pemberley, Darcy's magnificent state. Their peaceful, orderly world seems almost unassailable. Elizabeth has found her footing as the chatelaine of the great house. Elizabeth's sister Jane and her husband, Bingley, live nearby; her father visits often; there is optimistic talk about the prospects of marriage for Darcy's sister Georgiana. And preparations are under way for their much-anticipated annual autumn ball.

Then, on the eve of the ball, the patrician idyll is shattered. A coach careens up the drive carrying Lydia, Elizabeth's disgraced sister, who with her husband, the very dubious Wickham, has been banned from Pemberly. She stumbles out of the carriage, hysterical, shrieking that Wickham has been murdered. With shocking suddenness, Pemberley is plunged into a frightening mystery.

Inspired by a lifelong passion for Austen, P.D. James masterfully re-creates the world of Pride and Prejudice, electrifying with the excitement and suspense of a brilliantly crafted crime story, as only she can write it.

[from the back cover]

Pemberley is thrown into chaos after Elizabeth Bennett's disgraced sister Lydia arrives and announces that her husband Wickham has been murdered.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,662,858 books! | Top bar: Always visible