Death Comes to Pemberley by P. D. James

Death Comes to Pemberley

by P. D. James

English (242)  French (2)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (247)
Disappointingly dull and not much of a mystery at all. Serves me right for trying to relive the magic that was P&P through any other author but Miss Austen. ( )
  tashlyn88 | Feb 5, 2016 |
Very interesting sequel to Pride & Prejudice. I loved the references to Persuasion and Emma. :-) I found the repeating of parts of P&P slow, but I guess they're in there in case someone has not read it Quite enjoyable read. ( )
  AnaKurland | Jan 30, 2016 |
Not terrible, but not great either. Certainly not what I expected of James. The "mystery" was so convoluted as to be almost indecipherable, even with the extended explanations at the end. It was a good imitation of Austen's writing style, just not a great story. 2.5 stars. ( )
  Gingermama | Jan 24, 2016 |
Death Comes to Pemberley by PD James - Dull

I remember when Pauline read this, it fell into the category "books I read so you don't have to"! Despite this warning, I signed up for a bookray & lo this dropped onto the doormat a few days ago.

I hang my head in shame at the next admission, I've never read any Jane Austen or seen any adaptation of her books. Despite this, I've read a few Austen inspired books and have been slowly working my round to the realisation that I'm going to have to bite the bullet and read the real thing (especially as I now want to read: Longbourn by Jo Baker). This book is the final straw.

It's not very good. I don't know what got into PD James, but it was stilted and the mystery wasn't particularly well drawn or...er...mysterious. It was pretty obvious what was going to happen.

Elizabeth & Darcy have been married for a few years and have a couple of children. On the eve of their annual Ball, her sister Lydia arrives, distraught: her husband and his friend have disappeared into the woods & shots have been heard. Darcy mounts an expedition and a body is found.

The rest of the book meanders about, not really telling you much until suddenly Darcy is at the Assizes giving evidence. The murderer is unmasked and everyone lives happily ever after.

Thing is, nothing much happens, there is no investigation. Between finding the body, arresting a suspect & the trial etc. NOTHING happens. Is Pride and Prejudice this dull? I wouldn't expect so. I think, maybe, PD James found writing in this style stiffled her.

On the plus side, it took just under 2 days to read and didn't challenge me, just filled in some time. ( )
  Cassandra2020 | Jan 24, 2016 |
This was a fairly enjoyable "sequel" to Pride and Prejudice, with a little mystery and courtroom drama thrown in. While it was somewhat satisfying to catch up on some of the characters, sadly Elizabeth and Darcy just became irritating in James' description of their still-perfect-harmony-after-all-these-years. "If this was not a happy marriage the words were meaningless." Really?? Is that the best you could do? ( )
  bibleblaster | Jan 23, 2016 |
. . . an excellent period mystery, replete with all manner of mayhem, and a most welcome way to revisit Elizabeth and Darcy. . .
added by 4leschats | editBookPage, Sukey Howard (Apr 1, 2012)

P. D. Jamesprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ragnhild EikliTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Trond Peter Stamsø MunchNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is a (non-series) sequel to

To Joyce McLennan
Friend and personal assistant who has typed my novels for thirty-five years
With affection and gratitude
It was generally agreed by the female residents of Meryton that Mr and Mrs Bennett of Longbourn had been fortunate in the disposal in marriage of four of their five daughters.
Author's note:
I owe an apology to the shade of Jane Austen for involving her beloved Elizabeth in the trauma of a murder investigation, especially as in the final chapter of Mansfield Park Miss Austen made her views quite plain: 'Let other pens dwell on guilt and misery. I quit such odious subjects as soon as I can, impatient to restore everybody not greatly in fault themselves to tolerable comfort, and to have done with all the rest.' No doubt she would have replied to my apology by saying that, had she wished to dwell on such odious subjects, she would have written this story herself, and done it better.
Originally published: London : Faber and Faber, 2011.

It is 1803, six years since Elizabeth and Darcy embarked on their life together at Pemberley, Darcy's magnificent state. Their peaceful, orderly world seems almost unassailable. Elizabeth has found her footing as the chatelaine of the great house. Elizabeth's sister Jane and her husband, Bingley, live nearby; her father visits often; there is optimistic talk about the prospects of marriage for Darcy's sister Georgiana. And preparations are under way for their much-anticipated annual autumn ball.

Then, on the eve of the ball, the patrician idyll is shattered. A coach careens up the drive carrying Lydia, Elizabeth's disgraced sister, who with her husband, the very dubious Wickham, has been banned from Pemberly. She stumbles out of the carriage, hysterical, shrieking that Wickham has been murdered. With shocking suddenness, Pemberley is plunged into a frightening mystery.

Inspired by a lifelong passion for Austen, P.D. James masterfully re-creates the world of Pride and Prejudice, electrifying with the excitement and suspense of a brilliantly crafted crime story, as only she can write it.

[from the back cover]

Pemberley is thrown into chaos after Elizabeth Bennett's disgraced sister Lydia arrives and announces that her husband Wickham has been murdered.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,017,047 books! | Top bar: Always visible